Poll: Which do you think is more probable in the next 81 years?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Worst Crisis Poll
My first poll!  Some have mentioned in other threads that we are currently living in an era of Church history that is experiencing the worst crisis ever. I thought we might take up a vote and discuss. In your opinion, which crisis listed above has posed the greatest danger for Catholics? What are your reasons for saying so?

- Lisa
You know, I was considering such a thread myself for a long time.

I never made it because I was still considering my thoughts on the matter.

I have come to think that each generation and each person confronts, in some way, a crisis of equal gravity to all the others. It is how these crises are handled which is different. It can be totally internal for an individual or be active through the entire Church.

I would say the greatest danger is laxity and not being alert and vigilant at all times. That is the greatest danger I think. No matter the persecution or the heresy being spread, a person who is watchful and ready will triumph.
I think you’re right, Rosarium. We are commanded to live the Gospel in whatever place and time God puts us. He wants us to make a difference where we are. It was often during the most trying times in history that God raised up the greatest saints. To quote St. Paul, where sin abounds, grace abounds more.

Be that as it may I voted for the Protestant Revolt - because 500 years after the fact I can better assess the damage. I can’t think of any crisis that comes close: the rejection of nearly everything the Church had taught, the rise of many false churches, the break with the apostolic priesthood, preaching a Christ with no valid Eucharist or no sense of the sacramental at all. What happened during and following Luther is unprecedented in the history of the Church – in my opinion. 

- Lisa
I voted current crisis. I might just be biased though because I am living in what I am sure in a hundred years will be called the Modernist crisis. The reason this is so bad is that it was started by a Pope a Pope approved a false Mass and it has involved 5 Popes whereas the Arian only had one Pope who was arian and one who was semi arian. But we have had 5 Popes that have been complete heretics. Benedict is certainly the best of the lot since VII but still he aint no Orthodox Catholic.
I voted for the current one.  My reason for this choice is due to the lukewarmness (outright frigidity?...i don't know if that's a word) of the world today.  While the protestant revolt has resulted in false divisions, a house continuously divided against itself, it was still the "normal" thing for people to be true and even fervent in their (misguided) beliefs.  Today it is normal NOT to be religious, and abnormal to be devout.  Lukewarmness is like a drug.  It is so easy and so fun to be lukewarm, or even wholly apathetic to God and the faith altogether.  I believe honest, God-seeking people of the 16th-19th centuries would have a much easier time returning to the truth than lukewarm people today have.  In earlier times I think protestants were still "on the road" toward God (especially the lower classes who may have simply been following their political/religious leaders into error) but today it seems like everybody has made himself his own god...no need to go anywhere toward a 'foreign god', even if that foreign god happens to be the King of Kings.

Lukewarmness =  :puke: out of the Lord's mouth.
I was always of the impression that during the heat of the Arian crisis, most bishops were Arian. That had to be bad - especially considering this heresy attacked the very nature of Christ. At the same time, didn't only three bishops refuse to sign the Nicene Creed? I have to wonder how widespread and far-reaching it really was outside the hierarchy, meaning how much did this heresy shape the lives of the parish priests and the faithful in the pews.

According to Wikipedia, it affected most church members, simple believers, priests and monks as well as bishops, emperors and members of Rome's imperial family. I wonder how. I’ll have to do a more thorough search tomorrow. Time for me to call it a day now.

- Lisa
But the Protestant revolt is by far the longest running crisis we’ve had so far. The Arian crisis lasted what? 200 years? The Western Schism 40 years. The Current Crisis 40 plus years to date.

The Protestant crisis has been going on for 500 years and shows no signs of slowing! The seamless robe of Christ has become a faded memory – something from a glorious but distant past. 

- Lisa
Great Schism, because no one really knew who was really pope. During the deformation you knew who was right
(07-29-2009, 01:43 AM)Tobri Wrote: Great Schism, because no one really knew who was really pope. During the deformation you knew who was right

As I said in another thread: Imagine having three Popes to choose from!  :o
I think currently for these reasons; 1) Many I consider learned have said it is worse than anytime since the Flood. 2) From my personal experience you can not discuss/argue/explain anything with logic to most people anymore and that is diabolical disorientation of obssession.
3) While most of the youngest family members have gone to some of the better Catholic Schools none of them believe in miracles which leads me to believe that they do not believe in the Eucharist and Jesus Christ. 4) given the previous I believe the Churchmen no longer believe either or they would put an end to it. They are similar to the Bishops in the time of Arius, and the sex crimes sins is as prevalent as before the flood. Baal Phegor rushes to mind every day.

We here only see it out in society, and for lack of a better word we are part of the remnant God always keeps for after the cataclysm. I fear very much for all of my family and most everyone I know except those here. I'm not saying FE is tantamount to sainthood just we have an even chance. Here comes the commercial... Pray your Rosaries we are the ones that can help, the rest are deaf.
tim