Poll: Which do you think is more probable in the next 81 years?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Worst Crisis Poll
Certainly Protestantism. We probably wouldn't be in our current crisis if it wasn't for Protestantism. It was the gateway for a million different heresies, and a stepping stone for much worse ideologies
I vote Protestantism, since it is 500 years old and destroyed the cultural bulwark the Church had against the secular culture.
NonSumDignus states it quite aptly.
(07-29-2009, 10:59 AM)NonSumDignus Wrote: Certainly Protestantism. We probably wouldn't be in our current crisis if it wasn't for Protestantism. It was the gateway for a million different heresies, and a stepping stone for much worse ideologies
Sorry to fellow FE's for not being a regular contributor, but I figured I would add my two cents on this one.  I voted "current crisis" because the majority of Catholics don't even know there a crisis afoot.  At least during the prot revolt, the lines were clearer.  Nowadays, the lines are blurred and none so blurred as the forms of worship.  The new mass, according to Card. Ottaviani, would "satisfy even the most liberal protestant" and practically speaking, a lot of parishes across the country (as has been regularly pointed out on FE) offer many variations and novelties with their new masses.  The new ecumenism has also blurred the lines.  I could go on and on but I think everyone on FE understands the issues.
(07-29-2009, 12:33 AM)Cassius_Longinus Wrote: Lukewarmness =  :puke: out of the Lord's mouth.

I voted "other" because I believe the worst is yet to come and I believe it is tied to what CL said above, only worse.  The rise in wiccans, pagans, Islam, new agers, secular humanists, homosexual indoctrination, abortion on demand/"Culture of Death" and moral relativism in general, when combined with (or, which results in) the continued watering down of The Faith is creating the "Perfect Storm" for satan to thrive.  I see another schism on the horizon and BXVI eluded to as much in saying he envisions 'a smaller but more theologically pure Church in the future.' (I paraphrase).  And if the Third Secret's "Bishop in white" is yet to come.....we're in for major poop.

Have a nice day.  :tiphat:
I voted the present crisis because our present heresy, Modernism, is the synthesis of all prior heresies, containing elements of all of them, within it.
Other.

ISLAM.  It took huge chunks of Christian lands and is still a threat to the Church now.  It is as much a threat today as the current crisis.  The big problem with the current crisis is it leaves the Church weak and ill prepared to defend herself.  Much as the failures of the Kingdom of Judah failed to prevent the OT Church to defend itself from the Babylonians.  Weak fail opens the door to men with evil intent.

Protestantism is on life support and fading.  The same with the Eastern Churches.  Their life blood was dependent on the Church.  As it grows weaker so do they and at a faster pace.
Let me ask a relevant question:  What are we calling the Beginning of the Church?  Is it Pentecost?  Is it Christ to Peter: "On this Rock....?"  Is it the Ascension? 
(07-29-2009, 11:20 PM)epalinurus Wrote: Let me ask a relevant question:  What are we calling the Beginning of the Church?  Is it Pentecost?  Is it Christ to Peter: "On this Rock....?"  Is it the Ascension? 

I always think of Pentecost as the official beginning of the Church.. Of course, its structure was being formed with the choosing of the twelve apostles. The Church is referred to in the parables and Christ died for the Church. It was being organized all along, but with the descent of the Holy Spirit the Church became "ensouled" and received the power to impart Divine Revelation, preach the Gospel, baptize, administer the sacraments and aid in holiness. The Holy Spirit empowers the Church to carry on the work of Christ.

- Lisa
(07-29-2009, 11:53 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(07-29-2009, 11:20 PM)epalinurus Wrote: Let me ask a relevant question:  What are we calling the Beginning of the Church?  Is it Pentecost?  Is it Christ to Peter: "On this Rock....?"  Is it the Ascension? 

I always think of Pentecost as the official beginning of the Church.. Of course, its structure was being formed with the choosing of the twelve apostles. The Church is referred to in the parables and Christ died for the Church. It was being organized all along, but with the descent of the Holy Spirit the Church became "ensouled" and received the power to impart Divine Revelation, preach the Gospel, baptize, administer the sacraments and aid in holiness. The Holy Spirit empowers the Church to carry on the work of Christ.

- Lisa

The reason I ask is that if it was founded before the Easter Sunday, I might select Good Friday as the time of greatest crisis, but perhaps that is not an answer within the spirit of the question you are asking.  But compared to how it must have appeared to everyone on Good Friday, things today don't look quite as bad.
(07-30-2009, 12:02 AM)epalinurus Wrote: The reason I ask is that if it was founded before the Easter Sunday, I might select Good Friday as the time of greatest crisis, but perhaps that is not an answer within the spirit of the question you are asking.  But compared to how it must have appeared to everyone on Good Friday, things today don't look quite as bad.

I see what you're saying. I think the apostles went through a major crisis when they were hiding behind closed doors all day Holy Saturday.. I can't image the doubts, the grief and the fear, not to mention the horror of having one of their own betray the Lord and commit suicide on the same day.

But Good Friday is called "Good" because it is the greatest day in the history of salvation. That's the paradox of the Cross - or the "folly" as St. Paul put it.

- Lisa