Fellay: talks in autumn.
“The Holy Roman Church firmly believes, professes and preaches that all those who are outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans but also Jews or heretics and schismatics, cannot share in eternal life and will go into the everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels, unless they are joined to the Church before the end of their lives…”--Pope Eugene IV, Council of Florence

“For not every sin, however grave it may be, is such as of its own nature to sever a man from the Body of the Church, as does schism or heresy or apostasy.” --Pope Pius XII, Mystici Corporis Christi

If one becomes a heretic, one ceases to be a member of the Church.  Now, how can a man be the head of an organization which he is outside of, hmmmm?

"The manifestly heretical pope ceases per se to be pope and head as he ceases per se to be a Christian and member of the Church, and therefore he can be judged and punished by the Church. This is the teaching of all the early Fathers."--St. Robert Bellarmine

Seriously, y'all need to read a book or something.  I understand your issues.  If you follow the teachings of the Church Fathers, you will have to unleash your inner sede.  It's an uncomfortable position I understand, but much more intellectually honest.

Of course, the charge that Pope Benedict is a modernist is uncharitable, anti-Catholic and stupid in the extreme, but leads inevitably to such disturbing conclusions.
My apologies; I deleted my post.  I must learn when to hold my tongue. 
(08-02-2009, 02:47 AM)Gondalus Wrote: It isn't uncharitable to say the pope's a Modernist if he is. 

The Pope get the power of binding and loosing not you. We are very limited creatures, so have to restrain ourselves fro judging the Magisterium. Especially without careful proof.
I am an SSPXer (recently made my Holy Profession in the TO/SSPX) and I think this is great news.  I have utmost respect for Bishop Fellay and I pray a rosary for him (and the other bishops) daily.
(08-01-2009, 11:25 PM)DrBombay Wrote: “The Holy Roman Church firmly believes, professes and preaches that all those who are outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans but also Jews or heretics and schismatics, cannot share in eternal life and will go into the everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels, unless they are joined to the Church before the end of their lives…”--Pope Eugene IV, Council of Florence

"The floor of hell is littered with the skulls of bishops"
                                        - St. Athanasius

(08-01-2009, 11:25 PM)DrBombay Wrote: "The manifestly heretical pope ceases per se to be pope and head as he ceases per se to be a Christian and member of the Church, and therefore he can be judged and punished by the Church. This is the teaching of all the early Fathers."--St. Robert Bellarmine
That is not Magisterial teaching. That is the theological opinion of St. Robert Bellarmine. St. Bellarmine is not the Magisterium. That is only his private opinion. The Magisterium has never adopted that position which St. Bellarmine believed in. That is also one of 5 different possibilities that St. Bellarmine wrote about.
Methinks I really need to stop starting threads.  :doh: