Obeying Civil Laws
(08-12-2009, 08:55 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(08-12-2009, 08:38 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: ok so by this definition almost all profanity i use isn't profane
phew.
i was starting to worry
sip  sip

2 : to debase by a wrong, unworthy, or vulgar use

That covers a lot. But only you can know your intention. I'm just saying that there are a lot of things that are considered profanity by wrong, unworthy, or vulgar application. That includes wrong, unworthy, or vulgar titles for human excrement, sexual activity, or personal insults.

You guys need to get a good Moral Theology manual that explains these concepts in depth. You might be surprised. :)
well its all about context
after all the latin vulgate was at one time considered the vulgar tongue
sip sip
(08-12-2009, 09:03 PM)lamentabili sane Wrote:
(08-12-2009, 08:38 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: ok so by this definition almost all profanity i use isn't profane
phew.
i was starting to worry
sip  sip

That covers a lot. But only you can know your intention. I'm just saying that there are a lot of things that are considered profanity by wrong, unworthy, or vulgar application. That includes wrong, unworthy, or vulgar titles for human excrement, sexual activity, or personal insults.

You guys need to get a good Moral Theology manual that explains these concepts in depth. You might be surprised. :)

Sure, when I have more time.  ;)
(08-12-2009, 09:03 PM)lamentabili sane Wrote:
phew.
i was starting to worry
sip  sip

To refrain from using profanity is not sinful. Bearing this in mind, then, it is the obligation of one who choses to use it to first determine its morality.
okay thats called context
(08-12-2009, 09:09 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: okay thats called context

What does the responsibility of educating yourself about what is sinful and what is not have to do with language context? Context has to do with what makes it a sin or not. Language context does not determine if it is or is not your responsibility to know for certain.
profanity isnt sinful.
im ok with it
this thread is about the coldest of cold monsters the state and civil laws perhaps another thread on profanity not or being a sin is in order
sip sip
(08-12-2009, 09:19 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: profanity isnt sinful.

Disagree.

Quote:im ok with it

But what if God isn't?

Quote:this thread is about the coldest of cold monsters the state and civil laws perhaps another thread on profanity not or being a sin is in order

Agree.

Quote:sip sip

Temperance, brother. Temperance.  ;)