Why do so many Catholics drop the ball when it comes to EENS?
Quote: 1.Water Baptism is the definitive sign of predestination of the elect in Feeneyism.  Those who don't get it are not the elect in their opinion.
Water baptism is a necessary sign of election, but not definitive.  However, we do not know for certain if someone did NOT receive water baptism.  And I am open to there being other ways, though I have no great hope in it, and these "other ways" have never been revealed to us.  At the same time, you have to be open to the fact that there is no "other way", and every professed Moslem, Jew, Pagan, or whatever won't be saved.  We can't judge God.

But still, my original point stands.  The elect are predestined to salvation.  That is Catholic Dogma.  To deny this is to become a Pelagian heretic.

Quote:2. Yes it would be unjust for God to punish those for Original Sin only.  One has to commit a mortal sin to be damned.  Heaven is a privelege, not a right, but Hell is a deliberate choice.
How much "punishment" someone with Original Sin only receives is debatable.  Some believe that Limbo, the upper level of hell, is actually a pleasant place.  However, it is not unjust for God to send those with Original Sin to hell.  You are judging God.

This in a microcosm shows the problems before Vatican II.  If you deny EENS, then before long you deny Original Sin, and/or judge God for not saving the reprobate.  Eventually you end up calling abortion a sacrament that saves the unbaptized babies who were slaughtered.

We are a fallen race.  NONE of us deserve heaven.  NONE of us can "earn" salvation.  We are saved by Grace.  Why you were baptized, and some pigmy out in the jungle won't be, is impossible to find out.  It is the sovereign plan of God.  Never judge God.  God's wrath is glorious.  Have hope in God's mercy, but do not stray from what His Church has revealed.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why do so many Catholics drop the ball when it comes to EENS? - by James02 - 08-04-2009, 11:58 AM