Why do so many Catholics drop the ball when it comes to EENS?
We humans love our extremes –leaning either toward universalism or choking legalism. I understand that those who hold a strict interpretation of EENS believe that God will provide a way for every man who desires baptism to be baptized in water. The problem I have is that when many (including a few catechumens) do not, in fact, make it to the baptismal font, I am left to conclude that God has not really willed their salvation after all, which contradicts Scripture: “that God desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth" (1 Timothy 2:4). 

As Catholics we can certainly believe in a predestination that says, for example: “God wills all men be saved – unfortunately all men do not cooperate with God’s Will.” However we are not Calvinists, who believe that God wills some people to be saved and some people to be damned. Could somebody explain to me then what is the difference between the thinking of Fr. Feeney and John Calvin on predestination?  Because right now I don’t see a big difference.

- Lisa

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why do so many Catholics drop the ball when it comes to EENS? - by SCG - 08-05-2009, 04:54 PM