Why do so many Catholics drop the ball when it comes to EENS?
Quote: The magisterial statements are unequivocal in teaching that it is possible not to receive actual water baptism and be saved, which Tradition backs up with numerous examples.  The "other ways," namely a direct infusion of Sanctifying Grace from God has been revealed and is a part of the deposit of Faith.  It was not pulled out of the blue by the Church Fathers and it doesn't make sense to say for a fact there is no other way but hoping there is.  There is or there isn't.
There is no infallible statement I am aware of that says there is salvation apart from water baptism.  I don't presume to limit God and say that it is possible for there to be another way to salvation.  However, it certainly has NOT been revealed that there is this "other way".  If so, what are the parameters?  Can we know if someone was saved by this "other way"?  Are we sure they weren't baptized in a miraculous way?

Quote: And you can't state for a fact that every professed Moslem, Jew, pagan or whatever is in the state of mortal sin. 
But I can state that they are lacking Sanctifying Grace if they are indeed Moslem, Jew, or pagan.

Quote: You have to make the distinction between Original Sin and actual sin.  Those with Original Sin only are not punished with damnation, they are merely excluded from Heaven.  The Magisterium teaches that one cannot be punished eternally except for committing a voluntary sin, and Original Sin (except for our first parent's) is not voluntary. 
It is generally believed that Limbo does not involve punishment.  But you make a good point.  Since every Moslem, Jew, or pagan adult  (who really is Moslem, Jew, or Pagan)  is guilty of actual sins, and they don't have the Blood of Christ to propitiate God's just wrath, they aren't even in the Limbo level of hell.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why do so many Catholics drop the ball when it comes to EENS? - by James02 - 08-05-2009, 06:01 PM