Why do so many Catholics drop the ball when it comes to EENS?
(08-05-2009, 04:54 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: We humans love our extremes –leaning either toward universalism or choking legalism. I understand that those who hold a strict interpretation of EENS believe that God will provide a way for every man who desires baptism to be baptized in water. The problem I have is that when many (including a few catechumens) do not, in fact, make it to the baptismal font, I am left to conclude that God has not really willed their salvation after all, which contradicts Scripture: “that God desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth" (1 Timothy 2:4). 

As Catholics we can certainly believe in a predestination that says, for example: “God wills all men be saved – unfortunately all men do not cooperate with God’s Will.” However we are not Calvinists, who believe that God wills some people to be saved and some people to be damned. Could somebody explain to me then what is the difference between the thinking of Fr. Feeney and John Calvin on predestination?  Because right now I don’t see a big difference.

- Lisa

Well certainly we are all predestined for heaven - to think otherwise makes God out to be a very mean God. After all, the very reason He made us is to know love and serve him here so we can be happy with him in Heaven.

Certainly "God desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth" but we have to put forth some effort or we should expect to face God's wrath when we meet Him.

This effort is one of the "works" Calvin denies - and is of which James speaks: For even as the body without the spirit is dead; so also faith without works is dead. and Do you see that by works a man is justified; and not by faith only?

OTOH, Fr. Feeney taught what the Church has always taught: "take heed, watch and pray for we know not when the time is".

God chose to leave us in this uncertainty purposely so that we may always be prepared for it. For, if we knew the precise period, this assurance would give occasion of living more unguardedly, and of sinning more freely.
We are taught to watch, because we are charged with the care of our soul, which is the temple or house of God, and which is to be His temple for all eternity.

He taught that God has sufficient grace waiting for every man in the world, would he but take it! Were God to see that he would take it were it offered to him, it would be given. "For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour, Who will have all men to be saved, and to come to the knowledge of the truth." (1 Tim. 2:3,4.)

Far as I know, St. Paul the Apostle is the only "Chosen Vessel of Election", the rest of the human race must work at and succeed in "persevering unto the end", or we should not expect the reward of heaven.

Brings to mind this from Dies Irae:

....For now before the Judge severe
All hidden things must plain appear;
No crime can pass unpunished here.

O what shall I, so guilty plead?
And who for me will intercede?
When even Saints shall comfort need?....

I mean, when even saints shall comfort need?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why do so many Catholics drop the ball when it comes to EENS? - by Stubborn - 08-05-2009, 08:21 PM