Why do so many Catholics drop the ball when it comes to EENS?
Quote: You've got it backwards.  Cornelius is described as a "just" man before water baptism, certainly not as a condemned man. The Protestant interpretation is yours.  Here are Protestants backing up your interpretation of scripture: http://www.christiancourier.com/articles...g-baptized; http://www.christistheway.com/2004/a04a05aa.html
He was described as a "just" man by his pagan servants.  This does not prove anything.
Quote:And here is St. Thomas Aquinas contradicting that false Protestant interpretation:

Reply to Objection 2. As stated above (1, ad 2; 68, 2) man receives the forgiveness of sins before Baptism in so far as he has Baptism of desire, explicitly or implicitly; and yet when he actually receives Baptism, he receives a fuller remission, as to the remission of the entire punishment. So also before Baptism Cornelius and others like him receive grace and virtues through their faith in Christ and their desire for Baptism, implicit or explicit: but afterwards when baptized, they receive a yet greater fulness of grace and virtues. Hence in Psalm 22:2, "He hath brought me up on the water of refreshment," a gloss says: "He has brought us up by an increase of virtue and good deeds in Baptism." (Third Part, Question 69)
First, Aquinas is not infallible, but this is your best argument so far.  However, I have never denied that the unbaptized receive ACTUAL graces.  In fact, an adult who converts can NOT come to regeneration unless he receives these ACTUAL graces.  I have been quoting from the Council of Orange, remember?  Second, Aquinas says that the pagan can receive the forgiveness of his sins.  Does this equate to salvation?  The Jews in the Old Covenant could obtain just as much.  The passage you site is silent on whether this equates to salvation.  Third, when addressing the case of Cornelius, he just says that he receives graces (actual?) and virtues through faith.  He doesn't say the Cornelius was saved before baptism.  You also left out this part:
Quote: I answer that, As Augustine says in the book on Infant Baptism (De Pecc. Merit. et Remiss. i) "the effect of Baptism is that the baptized are incorporated in Christ as His members."

And finally take note of this:
Quote: And now send men to Joppe, and call hither one Simon, who is surnamed Peter: He lodgeth with one Simon a tanner, whose house is by the sea side.  He will tell thee what thous must do.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why do so many Catholics drop the ball when it comes to EENS? - by James02 - 08-07-2009, 08:27 PM