Why do so many Catholics drop the ball when it comes to EENS?
Oh bother. You have the testimony of Aquinas and Augustine, two of the greatest doctors of the Church above. There are other sources:

Quote:321. How can those be saved who through no fault of their own have not received the sacrament of Baptism? Those who through no fault of their own have not received the sacrament of Baptism can be saved through what is called baptism of blood or baptism of desire. - Baltimore Catechism #3

Quote:323. How does an unbaptized person receive the baptism of desire? An unbaptized person receives the baptism of desire when he loves God above all things and desires to do all that is necessary for his salvation ... (a) Baptism of desire takes away all sin, original and actual, and the eternal punishment due to sin. It does not, however, imprint a character on the soul, nor does it necessarily take away all temporal punishment due to actual sins. (b) In baptism of desire there need not always be an explicit desire to receive baptism of water. ... "And behold, a certain lawyer got up to test him, saying 'Master, what must I do to gain eternal life?' But he said to him, 'What is written in the Law? How dost thou read?' He answered and said, 'Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole strength, and with thy whole mind and thy neighbor as thyself.' and He said to him, 'Thou has answered rightly; do this and thou shalt live.'" (Luke 10:25-28) ... "He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. But he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him." (John 14:21) ... "If anyone love me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our abode with him." (John 14:23) - Ibid.

Quote:In the case of emergency Baptism by water can be replaced by Baptism of desire or Baptism by blood (Sent. fidei prox.) a) Baptism of desire is the explicit or implicit desire for sacramental baptism associated with perfect contrition (contrition based on charity). The council of Trent teaches that justification from original sin is not possible "without the washing unto regeneration or the desire for the same" ... According to the teaching of the Holy Writ, perfect love possesses justifying power. Luke 7:47 - "Many sins are forgiven her because she hath loved much." John 14:21 - "He that loveth me shall be loved of my Father and I will love him and will manifest myself to him." Luke 23:43 - "This day thou shalt be with me in Paradise." The chief witnesses from Tradition are St. Ambrose and St. Augustine. In the funeral oration on the Emperor Valentine II, who died without Baptism, St. Ambrose says: "Should he not acquire the grace for which he longed? Certainly: as he desired it, he has attained it ... His pious desire has absolved him." St. Augustine declared: "I find that not only suffering for the sake of Christ can replace that which is lacking Baptism, but also faith and conversion of the heart, if perhaps the shorness of time does not permit the celebration of the mystery of Baptism." In the period of early Scholasticism, St. Bernard of Clairvaux, Hugo of St. Victor and the Summa Sententiarum defended the possibility of Baptism of desire against Peter Abelard. ... Baptism of desire works ex opere operantis. It bestows Sanctifying Grace, which remits original sin, all actual sins, and the eternal punishment for sin. Venial sins and temporal punishments for sins are remitted according to the intensity of the subjective disposition. The baptismal character is not imprinted, nor is it the gateway to other sacraments. - Ludwig Ott, Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma

You say that God should not be limited in one sentence and in the next limit him to the schedule and availability of a missionary. Now, I do agree that you can get off course on some liberal rabbit hole pretty fast if you admit that baptism of desire happens frequently, even among those with great access to the Truth (i.e., the Catholic Faith), but just because it is not a frequent occurrence does not mean that it doesn't exist.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why do so many Catholics drop the ball when it comes to EENS? - by Ray M Facere - 08-08-2009, 06:39 PM