An Outlook on the upcoming Doctrinal Talks between SSPX and the Vatican
Quote: As far as Bishops vs. Councils, I know of only one Bishop granted the grace of infalible moral or doctrinal declarations.  On the other hand, Nestorius bishop of Constantinople around 428~9  preached against Mary's title "Mother of God"; which preaching was later condemned at a council he himself largely organized; so while heretical preaching among the bishops certainly *irks*, it isn't *new*.  Church Councils, on the other hand, declaring by unanimous consent are supposed (help me here?) to reflect the unanimous belief of all the bishops, which *is* infalible.

THAT is the point I was trying to get at.  Vat. II was NOT infallible, and it was NOT binding.  The Council declared that it was ONLY pastoral, and not binding on the Church.  Pope Paul declared that the Council was fallible.  The Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith declared that Vat. II was fallible.

By the way, a PASTORAL Council is entirely new to the Church.

Since these are established facts, then the Pope has great leeway in these talks.  He can even declare the documents so ambiguous, that they are put on the Index of Forbidden Books.  That is possible (though highly improbable).

Messages In This Thread
Re: An Outlook on the upcoming Doctrinal Talks between SSPX and the Vatican - by James02 - 08-03-2009, 05:29 AM