Ragweed Allergy...aaaachooo!
It's ragweed season again (mid-Aug thru Nov--altho this yr it seems to have begun early).  I'm beginning to develop an uncomfortable (not yet sore) throat, so I decided to look into this nasty little allergen a bit more this year, and what do I find?  Watermelon, which we've had lots and lots of recently, is a cross-reactive allergen!   :o   >:(

Quote:Cross Reactivity
The cross-reactive allergens linked to ragweed include honeydew, cantaloupe, watermelon, banana, and chamomile. Avoidance of these foods is usually recommended to reduce compounding symptoms. A cross-reaction to ragweed pollen may cause oral allergy syndrome, which is itching or swelling of the lips, tongue, throat or roof of the mouth.

Marsh elder, golden rod, and mugwort pollen, ragweed's botanical relatives, may also cause problems for those allergic to ragweed.

There are also several other flowering weeds that cross react with ragweed. This is why ragweed is bothersome for alot of people.

http://www.entdocs.org/ragweed.htm
That's just great.  >:(

There are a couple of days every summer in which it doesn't matter what allergy meds I take, I'm going to be sneezing my head off.  The only thing I've found to stop it is using a neti pot to flush out my sinuses.  It's like magic! Gross magic!
(08-02-2009, 06:56 PM)goggleeyes Wrote: That's just great.  >:(

There are a couple of days every summer in which it doesn't matter what allergy meds I take, I'm going to be sneezing my head off.  The only thing I've found to stop it is using a neti pot to flush out my sinuses.  It's like magic! Gross magic!

"Gross magic." Haha! I've been really tempted by those things at my local natural foods grocery, but frightened off because it seems that to do this would hurt a lot. Does it? Also, does it keep one from having post nasal drip and slightly sore throat all the time? If I could sing again and once more sleep peacefully at night, not lie awake trying to clear my passages, that would be worth some pain.
(08-02-2009, 07:17 PM)Satori Wrote:
(08-02-2009, 06:56 PM)goggleeyes Wrote: That's just great.  >:(

"Gross magic." Haha! I've been really tempted by those things at my local natural foods grocery, but frightened off because it seems that to do this would hurt a lot. Does it? Also, does it keep one from having post nasal drip and slightly sore throat all the time? If I could sing again and once more sleep peacefully at night, not lie awake trying to clear my passages, that would be worth some pain.

It feels weird at first, but it doesn't hurt if you add the right amount of salt to the water and the water is warm.  (Sometimes my sinuses are swollen, and I'll make the solution really salty to draw out moisture from them.  That's not too pleasant, but it helps me to breathe so much better, for hours.)  It also might hurt if you blow your nose really hard--that always makes my ears pop. Other than that, it's actually pretty neat. 

Yep, it helps with the post nasal drip and sore throat, too!  I used to take decongestants nearly every day, and now I hardly ever need to.  I also admit to having been addicted to nasal spray--I stopped once for a year, because I was forced to, and was unable to breathe through my nose the whole year. The neti pot inspired me to try a hypertonic (really strong) saline solution in a bottle instead, and I broke "the habit" with it. It actually works even better, and the effects last longer.
Koffhakwheezgasp.

Kenshin longs for the days when hay fever was the only thing to deal with.  Now I seem allergic to everything that grows or spews mold spores.  Today I'm on Claritin and Afrin and I'm still spitting up, well, you don't want to know.  :P