Article on Ignorant Native
(08-08-2009, 04:56 PM)Rosarium Wrote: Then what is the point? To convince people who deny Church teaching that they are wrong? They already know they are in contradiction to Church teaching. To convince those who calm their minds because they don't want to consider the loss of souls? Are you trying to make them despair?

The only thing I've ever seen come of such discussions was not helpful to the faith. Have you ever seen different results?

They had different results in me.  Realizing the Church teaches predestination, and EENS, has increased my trust in God, not made me despair.  He numbers the hairs on our heads, and not one His Father has given Him will be lost.  I pray for those I love, and all poor sinners, and do what I can to help, but trust that God will call whom He will.

Like someone on AQ said a while back on this subject, no one will receive injustice.  Those who are damned will only be receiving justice.  Those who are saved will receive mercy.  "Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated."  The whys of it all are a great mystery, as is the fact that both our desire to do good and our ability to do so are graces from God, not of ourselves. 

Edited to add that I write all of the above, yet nearly everyone I love with the exception of my mother and sisters is Protestant, or nothing at all.  I commend them to Our Lady and trust in her intercession and her Son's mercy.
(08-08-2009, 05:59 PM)goggleeyes Wrote:
(08-08-2009, 04:56 PM)Rosarium Wrote: Then what is the point? To convince people who deny Church teaching that they are wrong? They already know they are in contradiction to Church teaching. To convince those who calm their minds because they don't want to consider the loss of souls? Are you trying to make them despair?

The only thing I've ever seen come of such discussions was not helpful to the faith. Have you ever seen different results?

They had different results in me.  Realizing the Church teaches predestination, and EENS, has increased my trust in God, not made me despair.  He numbers the hairs on our heads, and not one His Father has given Him will be lost.  I pray for those I love, and all poor sinners, and do what I can to help, but trust that God will call whom He will.

Like someone on AQ said a while back on this subject, no one will receive injustice.  Those who are damned will only be receiving justice.  Those who are saved will receive mercy.  "Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated."  The whys of it all are a great mystery, as is the fact that both our desire to do good and our ability to do so are graces from God, not of ourselves. 

Edited to add that I write all of the above, yet nearly everyone I love with the exception of my mother and sisters is Protestant, or nothing at all.  I commend them to Our Lady and trust in her intercession and her Son's mercy.

:w2go:
(08-08-2009, 05:46 PM)didishroom Wrote: Why must you come down hard on us for defending a doctrine that deals with either the enternal reward or punishment of our own souls? If anyone dogma should be discussed, would it not be this one?

Why? Because nothing good comes of it.

Your opinion, which you have not backed up.
(08-08-2009, 06:16 PM)didishroom Wrote: Your opinion, which you have not backed up.

It isn't my opinion; it is my experience (I have never witnessed any good come of it).

I have not backed it up, that is true, but just read this thread and all the other ones like it. Any good you see?
I already said that if good came out of it, it would be a result of time, accumulation and grace. The important part is not that our voices are heard but that people get the opportunity to see the Church's stance from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

I do know of one person who actually recanted their previous position on this matter.

And like what goggleeyes said, she has only benefited spiritualy from it. If it's a dogma of the Church we're defending, you have no reason to question the defense of Truth, only the manner in which individuals may do it. 
(08-08-2009, 06:23 PM)didishroom Wrote: If it's a dogma of the Church we're defending, you have no reason to question the defense of Truth, only the manner in which individuals may do it. 

I do not think how it is brought up and discussed is proper.

On this topic, I once told someone I accepted all dogmatic teachings of the Church on the matter when they asked me, but they still persisted for me to say certain things. Sometimes, they accidently acknowledge their opinion is a large part of their beliefs which they so passionately defend and claim to be Church dogma.
I think I remember that instance....it was on a thread about the fate of Jews in the Holocaust, no? If so, I believe that was only one person and he has not posted since on that topic or any other for that matter.
(08-08-2009, 04:24 PM)didishroom Wrote: So why are babies damned but adults get off scott-free?

Why would unbaptized babies be damned when there's Limbo? A permanent state of natural happiness. Not bad.
(08-09-2009, 01:50 PM)in vitam aeternam Wrote:
(08-08-2009, 04:24 PM)didishroom Wrote: So why are babies damned but adults get off scott-free?

Why would unbaptized babies be damned when there's Limbo? A permanent state of natural happiness. Not bad.

That's what I'm referring to. Limbo is hell, despite the natural happiness, because it is eternal seperation from God.