Exorcism
A couple of months ago when I had money to burn (literally in fuel), I would go to the bookstore and sit and read.  And at Books-a-million they had a copy of a relatively new book called The Rite, it details about a San Jose priest who was sent to Rome to learn the Rite of Exorcisms, it was written by a journalist, who names elude me.  Anyhow, the priest (maybe it was the writer, not quite sure) got a chance to meet the famous Fr. Gabriele Amorth, the chief exorcist of Rome, and he said something I found peculiar.  He would say about how Muslims and Hindus would come to him for exorcisms, and he would tell them when they go home afterwards to do whatever their faith traditions recommends.  Like he said muslims pray a lot, so he suggests they keep doing that.  Now some did convert to the Church, but I think it is weird that he would suggests that afterward keep doing what they were doing.  I mean Jesus cast out the demons not krishna or buddha or muhammad.  I mean it may have been just a spin by the author, but it is unusual advice.

What do you think about this?

In another recent book, that was written by Tracy Wilkinson, that I put down 20 pages in because it was so badly written and chocked full of misconceptions.  Fr. Gabriele Amorth told her that the Devil hates Latin.

Assuming that the Devil hates Latin more than say English, why would the Devil hate it more? 
Such advice is less than steller, however, it may have been the only thing he could do.

To get an exorcism requires the following of a proper procedure, and someone can't just go up to a priest an ask for one. They may give a generic blessing, but an actual exorcism requires the observing of proper procedure. If a non Catholic came to a priest authorised to conduct exorcisms, I highly doubt he would do an exorcism at all, so the journalist may not know the facts properly (so it is futile to judge without more input).

About Latin, that is mostly true. It isn't because Latin is special by itself, but because it is the language of the Church.

I recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Exorcist-Tells-His-Story/dp/0898707102/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249860867&sr=8-1

Much better than second hand stories by the uninformed.

(08-09-2009, 07:34 PM)Rosarium Wrote: Such advice is less than steller, however, it may have been the only thing he could do.

To get an exorcism requires the following of a proper procedure, and someone can't just go up to a priest an ask for one. They may give a generic blessing, but an actual exorcism requires the observing of proper procedure. If a non Catholic came to a priest authorised to conduct exorcisms, I highly doubt he would do an exorcism at all, so the journalist may not know the facts properly (so it is futile to judge without more input).

About Latin, that is mostly true. It isn't because Latin is special by itself, but because it is the language of the Church.

I recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Exorcist-Tells-His-Story/dp/0898707102/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249860867&sr=8-1

Much better than second hand stories by the uniformed.

Yes, i have read his book a few years back, quite interesting and informative and not as sensational as Malachi Martin. 
(08-09-2009, 07:34 PM)Rosarium Wrote: Such advice is less than steller, however, it may have been the only thing he could do.

Much better than second hand stories by the uniformed.

Such a good book.  I highly recommend both books (he wrote a second).
I just noticed I wrote "uniformed" instead of "uninformed". Fixed in my original post, but it has been quoted.

To clarify: I do not discriminate against those in uniforms.
(08-09-2009, 07:38 PM)Rosarium Wrote: I just noticed I wrote "uniformed" instead of "uninformed". Fixed in my original post, but it has been quoted.

To clarify: I do not discriminate against those in uniforms.

Fuzzyphile bootlickin' authority worshipper!  :laughing: :laughing:
(08-09-2009, 07:38 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: Such a good book.  I highly recommend both books (he wrote a second).
You quoted my "uniformed" line as well...  DK better not hear of this.

Is it this one? http://www.amazon.com/Exorcist-More-Stories-Gabriele-Amorth/dp/0898709172/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249861142&sr=8-1

I'll have to get it. I liked the first one a lot (although I started sleeping with a knife near my bed (I don't use pillows)).
(08-09-2009, 07:40 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(08-09-2009, 07:38 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: Such a good book.  I highly recommend both books (he wrote a second).

Is it this one? http://www.amazon.com/Exorcist-More-Stories-Gabriele-Amorth/dp/0898709172/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249861142&sr=8-1

I'll have to get it. I liked the first one a lot (although I started sleeping with a knife near my bed (I don't use pillows)).

That is the only thing, when I read about exorcisms or listen to the Annelise Michel tapes on Youtube, I get really paranoid like something is going to come from the shadows
(08-09-2009, 07:40 PM)Rosarium Wrote:

Heeheeehee.  Sorry.  ;D

Yes, that is the book.  I don't think it was "as good" as the first one, but good nonetheless.  I'd recommend getting it from the library (to save money). 

Why don't you use pillows?
(08-09-2009, 08:08 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: Why don't you use pillows?

God didn't make man to put his head on a stuffed sack when the ground works just as well (I don't use a bed either).

When I was in school, and felt the need to sleep, I used my hair (coiled up) as a pillow, but that was only because the surfaces used were very hard.