Why does cereal cost so much?
How much does it cost to make and distribute a box of Cheerios? Are we paying 6 bucks for the brand, and 30 cents for the cereal?
:o Where are you paying $6 for Cheerios?

The generics cost $2.25.
All cereals where I live in New York cost an arm and a leg, even the econo-buy brands are overpriced. Cinnamon Toast Crunch sells on Amazon at a little over $4 a box: http://www.amazon.com/Cinnamon-Toast-Cru...B001EQ4ATQ

It seems like a major rip-off.
That much?  Wow!  I think I'll stick with oatmeal.

waits...
Ehhh.  I paid $2.74 for the premium Kashi box of cereal I bought today.  (It was a splurge... and yes I splurge on cereal.)  Not a small box, either... .
I can buy bags of generic fruit loops, cornflakes, puffed rice, etc. at Kroger for a dollar or less.
I get whole rolled oats, grits, or other real cereals. I do not recommend the highly processed, sugar fests of modern "cereal".

(08-12-2009, 09:19 PM)Rosarium Wrote: I get whole rolled oats, grits, or other real cereals. I do not recommend the highly processed, sugar fests of modern "cereal".

I agree, but since the OP complained about the price of Cheerios, I wanted to let him know that it IS possible to buy a generic equivalent to those and similar cereals for a low price, at least around here.

And if you ever have a baby, you will discover that Cheerios make a great distraction even if you wouldn't serve them as a meal.
(08-12-2009, 09:24 PM)Satori Wrote: I agree, but since the OP complained about the price of Cheerios, I wanted to let him know that it IS possible to buy a generic equivalent to those and similar cereals for a low price, at least around here.
Yes, that was the specific scenerio, but the title is about "cereal", and most cereal is over priced as food.

I wonder how hard it is to grow oats?