Why does cereal cost so much?
(08-12-2009, 11:36 PM)Satori Wrote: I wonder how hard it is to grow oats?

Not that hard. They are tolerant of cold, and they have few parasites.

However, I'm not sure how much space is needed for oats. I would imagine quite a bit to get a meanginful harvest.
(08-12-2009, 05:53 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: :o Where are you paying $6 for Cheerios?

The generics cost $2.25.

All cereals are not created equal.  Try generic frosted flakes and then try Kellog's Frosted Flakes.  Tell me it's not worth the extra two bucks.
(08-13-2009, 12:00 AM)Walty Wrote: All cereals are not created equal.  Try generic frosted flakes and then try Kellog's Frosted Flakes.  Tell me it's not worth the extra two bucks.

Make it double blind then come back :)

Many "generic" brands are superior to name brands. Consistantly, "generics" trump big name brands in double blind tests, whereas the name brands win if they are known.
(08-13-2009, 12:14 AM)Rosarium Wrote:
(08-13-2009, 12:00 AM)Walty Wrote: All cereals are not created equal.  Try generic frosted flakes and then try Kellog's Frosted Flakes.  Tell me it's not worth the extra two bucks.

Make it double blind then come back :)

Many "generic" brands are superior to name brands. Consistantly, "generics" trump big name brands in double blind tests, whereas the name brands win if they are known.

Dude, you can blindfold my eyes, but my tastebuds can't be fooled.  I don't know about every kind of cereal, but Frosted Flakes are worth the money.
I'm much more of a bread/toast kind of fellow than a cereal man.  And on that note, I'm with Ros'm; I don't think I've bought bread since last november --- just a lot of flour, and sometimes yeast, sometimes baking powder.  It's fun, too!
(08-12-2009, 05:56 PM)stvincentferrer Wrote: All cereals where I live in New York cost an arm and a leg, even the econo-buy brands are overpriced. Cinnamon Toast Crunch sells on Amazon at a little over $4 a box: http://www.amazon.com/Cinnamon-Toast-Cru...B001EQ4ATQ

It seems like a major rip-off.

I don't know where in New York you are, but I'm in Upstate New York and generic Cheerios costs about as much as WRC alluded to.
Hey, at least you guys can go to the supermarket and buy cereal. I have to import it from the States in cases of 12 boxes each!

You say "cereal" here, and people just blink at you and say nothing...