Catholic Community
(08-14-2009, 04:16 PM)Felicitas Wrote:
(08-14-2009, 04:08 PM)didishroom Wrote: Sorry but I don't believe in such an idea. We are supposed to live in the world and not be of the world. I dunno, but I've never felt comftorable of the idea of Catholic families escapiong somewhere like Amish or the those people in The Village.

How are we supposed to be a "light to the world" if we're hiding in Montana?

In my dream, we're not hiding from the world so much as creating a model community that hopefully others would follow. I don't see it as all that different from the many religious communities that have existed in the history of Christianity, which were indeed a light to the world even in very isolated places and in dark times.

Yes those for religious though.
GO FOR IT.
wasnt there one i cant place the name something like st. thomas community or something. i found out about here int he tank. any one remember them? wonder how the yer doin
(08-14-2009, 04:08 PM)didishroom Wrote: Sorry but I don't believe in such an idea. We are supposed to live in the world and not be of the world. I dunno, but I've never felt comftorable of the idea of Catholic families escapiong somewhere like Amish or the those people in The Village.

Well I look at it this way.  We are going through a period of change (and I don't mean hope and change).  I find the current situation to be familiar with the Fourth Century.  You have barbarians coming into the country, you have an aging infrastructure that is becoming too costly to maintain, you have a vulgarization of culture and language, we essentially have a bread and circus policies (welfare, various entitlements), inept leadership and outright corrupt and evil political figures.  The end is coming to this current situation and we are probably going to enter a new dark age.  In those days of barbarian warfare from the 5th to 8th century destroyed much of the Western Roman world.  It is recounted that the first missionaries to England were successful, and less than 200 hundred years later it had reverted back to paganism.  And this was common throughout Europe as well as the German embracing the Arian heresy.  The preservation of the faith was largely done in monastic settings, particularly Ireland.  It was a refuge in which the Church can regroup, reorganize, and expand.  In some way that is what my hope would be for us to regroup and also be another example to other towns and cities.  It will not be a utopia as we all know they are a false ideal.  Not too mention it gives a base from which we can resupply, rearm, and give rest to the soldiers on the frontlines of this war. 
In days before cars and fast transport, Catholics did live near one anohter and close by the parish. 
They had to if they had their faith, they needed one another for friendship, and the church for worship. 
Like the amish are now, Caholics were.  I live in an area that was once heavily rural catholic farmers.
There are many closed down country churches, and in the 60's there was a mass exodus of catholic farming families, and the amish moved in.

Id love to see groups of real catholics grouped around rural churches.
...contrary to popular belief, the amish are in the world in many ways....they have non amish neighbors and go to the store, do everyday business with non amish, yet have a strong support group of fellow belivers ....
It would be the same for catholics who choose to try and live near one another.

i think it would be great for the youth....more marriage options...true catholic ones

Its the protestant who only needs their bible and their self...we need one another...as well as our priest...not just any guy can stand up and give the sermon.
AND as much as we like to joke, Id rather NOT drive 500 miles for a trad mass and good true fellowship!

(08-14-2009, 10:28 PM)mamalove Wrote: In days before cars and fast transport, Catholics did live near one anohter and close by the parish. 
They had to if they had their faith, they needed one another for friendship, and the church for worship. 
Like the amish are now, Caholics were.  I live in an area that was once heavily rural catholic farmers.
There are many closed down country churches, and in the 60's there was a mass exodus of catholic farming families, and the amish moved in.

Id love to see groups of real catholics grouped around rural churches.
...contrary to popular belief, the amish are in the world in many ways....they have non amish neighbors and go to the store, do everyday business with non amish, yet have a strong support group of fellow belivers ....i
t would be the same for catholics who choose to try and live near one another.

i think it would be great for the youth....more marriage options...true catholic ones

indeed, I think this is a problem and why we have various vocation crisis too, is that we don't have community, we left the ghettos and in the process we left the faith.
GREAT IDEA>
maybe the town could build an industry around firearms and weapons manufacture, Gun smithing, noble work like that
obviously with its own micro brewery off course
sip sip
Quote: GO FOR IT.
wasnt there one i cant place the name something like st. thomas community or something. i found out about here int he tank. any one remember them? wonder how the yer doin

There was some Wisconsin place (or maybe Minnesota).  We knew some people that moved out there to join up.  It was supposed to be some quasi-self sufficient rural town.  We didn't keep in touch, so I don't know how it worked out.

Then there's St. Mary's in Kansas.
maybe it was the. i know it wasnt st marys so maybe the Wisconsin bunch
curious.
Quote: Sorry but I don't believe in such an idea. We are supposed to live in the world and not be of the world. I dunno, but I've never felt comftorable of the idea of Catholic families escapiong somewhere like Amish or the those people in The Village.

If I remember correctly, you don't have kids.  Changes your outlook.

But you don't have to move up in a mountain compound to find a better place to live.  Just move out to small town America.

I'll give you an example.  We were bidding on a job in Illinois.  We flew into Chicago.  I was imagining some sort of urban setting.  Anyway we drove through Joliet, and went out west of there about 20 miles.  We were in the middle of corn fields.  I think the town was called Morris.  Anyway, out in the middle of a nice area of Illinois, an easy car drive from Chicago, was this huge industrial complex on the river, with probably a lot of jobs.  And yet we met the folks and they were all "country" and the folks in the restaurant were real nice. 

So if you have kids, make it a goal to move out to small town America.  There are still a lot of nice places to live without disappearing into the mountains.
(08-14-2009, 10:51 PM)James02 Wrote:
Quote: Sorry but I don't believe in such an idea. We are supposed to live in the world and not be of the world. I dunno, but I've never felt comftorable of the idea of Catholic families escapiong somewhere like Amish or the those people in The Village.

If I remember correctly, you don't have kids.  Changes your outlook.

But you don't have to move up in a mountain compound to find a better place to live.  Just move out to small town America.

I'll give you an example.  We were bidding on a job in Illinois.  We flew into Chicago.  I was imagining some sort of urban setting.  Anyway we drove through Joliet, and went out west of there about 20 miles.  We were in the middle of corn fields.  I think the town was called Morris.  Anyway, out in the middle of a nice area of Illinois, an easy car drive from Chicago, was this huge industrial complex on the river, with probably a lot of jobs.  And yet we met the folks and they were all "country" and the folks in the restaurant were real nice. 

So if you have kids, make it a goal to move out to small town America.  There are still a lot of nice places to live without disappearing into the mountains.

but the mountains are so much more fun, we all could live like Jeremiah Johnson and fight mountain lions and stuff.  :laughing: