I feel like a Protestant, church-shopping
(07-25-2010, 05:46 PM)glgas Wrote:
(08-23-2009, 11:39 AM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: Today's was another disappointment.  If you want to see a glorious and stunning modern church building, go to St. Benedict's in Duluth, GA....marvelous stained glass, statuary, altar boys in surplices, even Latin on the walls.....not one bit of the "construction paper and felt" 4th-grade motif that most recently-built churches have. It's really amazing.  But, the Kumbaya choir dominates the service....grand piano, two guitars, drum set, and flutes....it's like a flippin' orchestra pit right next to the altar.  It wasn't a Mass with a choir, it was a choir with a priest watching.  Don't even get me started on the clapping.

I am sure that the 7:15 AM mass is w/o such thing, which disturbs you.

How many people attended this guitar mass from a parish with less than 1000 registered families?

What is the reason for 7 weekday masses at St Benedict? I am sure one of them would serve your tastes.

How are you sure the 7:15 am Mass is without that?

I do not know how many people attended, but I can tell you that traffic to this church is such that there are 2 police officers stationed on the street and another two inside the parking lot to direct traffic.  So it's a lot.

I am unable to attend weekday Masses owing to work, and this in any case would not fulfill my Sunday obligation.
(07-25-2010, 05:52 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: How are you sure the 7:15 am Mass is without that?

I do not know how many people attended, but I can tell you that traffic to this church is such that there are 2 police officers stationed on the street and another two inside the parking lot to direct traffic.  So it's a lot.

I am unable to attend weekday Masses owing to work, and this in any case would not fulfill my Sunday obligation.

My parish is similar, it has a busybody musical director with penchant for guitar Masses. However the 7:30 AM (in our parish) Mass is too early for him.

I am not sure that in the value system of Jesus Christ the disadvantage of the guitar mass would destroy the advantage of the lot of people in a relatively small parish. He wants to reach everybody.

The weekday masses at St Benedict Duluth are 9;00 AM and 12:10 PM. The 7:15 AM mass is Sunday, and fulfills the Sunday obligation fully.

http://www.stbenedict.net/

This seems to be a good parish, especially for the apparently regular long lasting adoration from Wednesday night to Saturday morning
It's part of the instability deal to keep us from forming long-term coherent communities.  If Trad-communities are usually very divided, it's because they are collages of different Socio-economic groups and don't have a lot of coherence.  
(07-25-2010, 06:04 PM)glgas Wrote:
(07-25-2010, 05:52 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: How are you sure the 7:15 am Mass is without that?

My parish is similar, it has a busybody musical director with penchant for guitar Masses. However the 7:30 AM (in our parish) Mass is too early for him.

I am not sure that in the value system of Jesus Christ the disadvantage of the guitar mass would destroy the advantage of the lot of people in a relatively small parish. He wants to reach everybody.

The weekday masses at St Benedict Duluth are 9;00 AM and 12:10 PM. The 7:15 AM mass is Sunday, and fulfills the Sunday obligation fully.

http://www.stbenedict.net/

This seems to be a good parish, especially for the apparently regular long lasting adoration from Wednesday night to Saturday morning

It's another piece in the American public humiliation culture.
(07-25-2010, 05:52 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote:
(07-25-2010, 05:46 PM)glgas Wrote:
(08-23-2009, 11:39 AM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: Today's was another disappointment.  If you want to see a glorious and stunning modern church building, go to St. Benedict's in Duluth, GA....marvelous stained glass, statuary, altar boys in surplices, even Latin on the walls.....But, the Kumbaya choir dominates the service....grand piano, two guitars, drum set, and flutes....it's like a flippin' orchestra pit right next to the altar. 

I am sure that the 7:15 AM mass is w/o such thing, which disturbs you.

How many people attended this guitar mass from a parish with less than 1000 registered families?

What is the reason for 7 weekday masses at St Benedict? I am sure one of them would serve your tastes.

How are you sure the 7:15 am Mass is without that?

i think gigas is suggesting that because the earliest Mass is usually the quietest, with the least music, and attended mostly by older people who are quiet before, during and after Mass.  in our parish, only the organ is played  at 8 a.m. Mass.  the last morning Mass has a full choir with vocal and instrumental soloists, usually flutists.  there are no guitars or drums at any Mass.

i would be surprised if St. Benedict's needs off-duty police officers for traffic control at the early Mass.  our parish is close to St. Benedict's in size, all Masses are reverent OF Masses, but the highest attendance is at the later Sunday Masses.  the early Mass is well-attended but not crowded like the later ones.  not many young people want to get up that early on Sunday, though a few attend occasionally, even young people with children.  we're 'young' for that Mass, and we're over 60.  :laughing:

(08-23-2009, 06:26 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote:
(08-23-2009, 05:12 PM)libby Wrote: I go to St. Frances de Salles.It's in Mableton - 10 minutes from Atlanta proper.it's FSSP. Roswell has the SSPX as tim noted.

If I were you I'd stop looking up in that area, because it looks like your next "find" will be Good Shephard where you get the "blatant flirting between the altar girl and altar boy during the consecration" show.Oh, and it's no big deal if you go up to receive with a big wad of gum in your mouth.

St. Andrews ( Roswell) is pretty reverent - and St. Peter Chanel ( Roswell)  is too, and offers a TLM every once in a while, as well as Perpetual Adoration.

On the east side of Atlanta ( Norcross) St. Patrick's is really good - their 8:00 a.m. ( last time I checked ) is a TLM, and Father H. is the best.
http://www.stpatricksga.org/  Wow, thanks, St. Patrick's looks highly satisfactory - Googled them and came across some references that the pastor is encouraging Communion kneeling and on the tongue!!!  WOO-HOOOOO!!  No mention on their site of TLM, but we'll see.  A fishie for that one! Thank you to all.

If you come from Gwinnett, which it sounds like you do, Epiphany is the closest traditional parish to you.  Divine Liturgy is at 5:30 for the anticipatory Saturday observance and 10:00 Sundays.  FYI, there will be a Tridentine Mass at Saint Andrew's in Roswell at 8:00 pm Friday, August 6th.

Go to the TLM exclusively, preferably with the SSPX.

It's the only sane solution.
(07-25-2010, 06:05 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote:
(07-25-2010, 06:04 PM)glgas Wrote: This seems to be a good parish, especially for the apparently regular long lasting adoration from Wednesday night to Saturday morning

It's another piece in the American public humiliation culture.

The 60 hours adoration of the blessed Sacrament?
(07-27-2010, 01:10 AM)DJR Wrote:
(08-23-2009, 06:26 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote:
(08-23-2009, 05:12 PM)libby Wrote: I go to St. Frances de Salles.It's in Mableton - 10 minutes from Atlanta proper.it's FSSP. Roswell has the SSPX as tim noted.

If I were you I'd stop looking up in that area, because it looks like your next "find" will be Good Shephard where you get the "blatant flirting between the altar girl and altar boy during the consecration" show.Oh, and it's no big deal if you go up to receive with a big wad of gum in your mouth.

St. Andrews ( Roswell) is pretty reverent - and St. Peter Chanel ( Roswell)  is too, and offers a TLM every once in a while, as well as Perpetual Adoration.

On the east side of Atlanta ( Norcross) St. Patrick's is really good - their 8:00 a.m. ( last time I checked ) is a TLM, and Father H. is the best.
http://www.stpatricksga.org/  Wow, thanks, St. Patrick's looks highly satisfactory - Googled them and came across some references that the pastor is encouraging Communion kneeling and on the tongue!!!  WOO-HOOOOO!!  No mention on their site of TLM, but we'll see.  A fishie for that one! Thank you to all.

If you come from Gwinnett, which it sounds like you do, Epiphany is the closest traditional parish to you.  Divine Liturgy is at 5:30 for the anticipatory Saturday observance and 10:00 Sundays.  FYI, there will be a Tridentine Mass at Saint Andrew's in Roswell at 8:00 pm Friday, August 6th.

DJR, thanks, where is Epiphany exactly?  I am not finding any parish by that name on the Archdiocesan website?

We have been attending St Patrick's in Norcross (8 am Latin NO Sundays) since last September (thanks to the recommendation in this thread), but are considering making the drive to SSPX in Roswell now, since sadly St. Patrick's has lost its UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME pastor.