Is it okay to put Anti-Protestant slogans for one's Facebook status?
(08-26-2009, 05:59 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(08-26-2009, 05:57 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: Also, I think you should remove the slogans and statements, since I just noticed now you have already posted them, lol.

Gotta keep things clean, just in case.

You never know who's reading what

And who's caching what.

Well, we know Google is.

But who ELSE is the question.
nsper7 Wrote:Are these kinds of slogans okay or am I entering into being lacking in charity?

Don't do it, it's sophomoric. Whenever I see stuff like that, I just roll my eyes thinking it's just some 15 year old trying to rile folk up.
(08-26-2009, 06:02 PM)Credo Wrote:
nsper7 Wrote:Are these kinds of slogans okay or am I entering into being lacking in charity?

Don't do it, it's sophomoric. Whenever I see stuff like that, I just roll my eyes thinking it's just some 15 year old trying to rile folk up.

I would think the same...just some immature idiot. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar!
Personally, I don't think it's very charitable. Maybe instead you should try and post excerpts from the writings of the Church Fathers, where they expound on Catholic doctrine. I think that would be much more effective.

As others have already remarked, I don't think you'll change anyone's mind with anti-Protestant slogans. You'd be better off posting nuggets of truth of the Catholic and Apostolic Faith.
How could it be inflammatory?  Who would befriend a Protestant?
(08-27-2009, 04:06 AM)Walty Wrote: Who would befriend a Protestant?

Jesus
Even though my status ideas are very blunt, are they in anyway untrue? I mean, Sola Scriptura has, as history shows, merely an excuse to do and believe whatever you want since Scripture can be interpreted multiple ways and, without the True Church, there is no authority to squelch an incorrect interpretation. The second comment seems equally true: other than that Catholicism is wrong, what can Protestants agree on? Remember, various "denominations" have different concepts of God/Jesus (i.e. Trinitarian, Oneness, Adoptionist, etc.), of how a person is Saved/Soterioology (Lordship Salvation vs. Free Grace, Arminian vs. Calvinism, is Baptism necessary? etc.), of the Eucharist (i.e. some Anglicans hold a transubstantiation view, Lutherans hold a consubstantiation view, Presbyterians hold a pneumatic view, others hold a memorialistic view, etc.). Also, Protestant groups hold different moral theologies (i.e. is masturbation a sin? gay marriage? drinking? dancing? abortion? etc.).
And wouldn't you say the third comment is equally? One of the biggest problems within the Catholic Church today is an attempt to adopt Protestant ideals and isn't that one of the SSPX's biggest concerns about the OF/NO Mass?
(08-27-2009, 04:22 AM)nsper7 Wrote: Even though my status ideas are very blunt, are they in anyway untrue? I mean, Sola Scriptura has, as history shows, merely an excuse to do and believe whatever you want since Scripture can be interpreted multiple ways and, without the True Church, there is no authority to squelch an incorrect interpretation. The second comment seems equally true: other than that Catholicism is wrong, what can Protestants agree on? Remember, various "denominations" have different concepts of God/Jesus (i.e. Trinitarian, Oneness, Adoptionist, etc.), of how a person is Saved/Soterioology (Lordship Salvation vs. Free Grace, Arminian vs. Calvinism, is Baptism necessary? etc.), of the Eucharist (i.e. some Anglicans hold a transubstantiation view, Lutherans hold a consubstantiation view, Presbyterians hold a pneumatic view, others hold a memorialistic view, etc.). Also, Protestant groups hold different moral theologies (i.e. is masturbation a sin? gay marriage? drinking? dancing? abortion? etc.).

What you want to do goes against the virtue of prudence.  You know you are supposed to convert them, you know that stating a truth in this manner will most likely insult and repel them.  Counsel tells you that your actions are working against a good you are supposed to obtain, so it is imprudent.

(08-27-2009, 04:37 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(08-27-2009, 04:22 AM)nsper7 Wrote: Even though my status ideas are very blunt, are they in anyway untrue? I mean, Sola Scriptura has, as history shows, merely an excuse to do and believe whatever you want since Scripture can be interpreted multiple ways and, without the True Church, there is no authority to squelch an incorrect interpretation. The second comment seems equally true: other than that Catholicism is wrong, what can Protestants agree on? Remember, various "denominations" have different concepts of God/Jesus (i.e. Trinitarian, Oneness, Adoptionist, etc.), of how a person is Saved/Soterioology (Lordship Salvation vs. Free Grace, Arminian vs. Calvinism, is Baptism necessary? etc.), of the Eucharist (i.e. some Anglicans hold a transubstantiation view, Lutherans hold a consubstantiation view, Presbyterians hold a pneumatic view, others hold a memorialistic view, etc.). Also, Protestant groups hold different moral theologies (i.e. is masturbation a sin? gay marriage? drinking? dancing? abortion? etc.).

What you want to do goes against the virtue of prudence.  You know you are supposed to convert them, you know that stating a truth in this manner will most likely insult and repel them.  Counsel tells you that your actions are working against a good you are supposed to obtain, so it is imprudent.

Yeah, you're most likely right. I admit my motivation was just to rant and spawn an argument over Facebook and cause trouble.