Is it okay to put Anti-Protestant slogans for one's Facebook status?
(08-27-2009, 04:43 AM)nsper7 Wrote: Yeah, you're most likely right. I admit my motivation was just to rant and spawn an argument over Facebook and cause trouble.

Well, don't do it then.  :laughing:  But it's good you can be honest with yourself and examine your own motivations. :)

I do have to admit I have, on this site, read people being uncharitable towards Protestants (as well as Non-Christian groups) and even other Catholics who are just not as Traditional.
nsper7 Wrote:Even though my status ideas are very blunt, are they in anyway untrue?

No. However, it's possible to saying a truth in a foolish manner.

Take the below confrontation between a street preacher (for all we know, maybe a Catholic) and college students. Nothing the preacher says is wrong. However the preacher goes about it in a silly way.

Christian Preacher Idiot part 2 -
When I see facebook comments/statuses that are anti-Christian/Catholic, it doesn't exactly inspire me to question my beliefs and examine if the opposing side is correct. Instead, it makes me angry and defensive, thus strengthening my own views.

You won't convert any Protestants by attacking them or making fun of their beliefs. You'll only make them stronger Protestants. So in effect you are really evangelizing for Protestantism when you write those comments.

(08-27-2009, 07:15 AM)nsper7 Wrote: I do have to admit I have, on this site, read people being uncharitable towards Protestants (as well as Non-Christian groups) and even other Catholics who are just not as Traditional.

Being charitable is different than being prudent.  It is not uncharitable to call a Protestant a heretic to his face (charity has never de facto meant being touchy-feely), but it is imprudent in most cases.  Calling a Protestant a heretic amongst Catholics is neither uncharitable nor imprudent.

Though, for sure, there is lack of charity sometimes.  However, as I recall, you were asking about whether or not you should do something on facebook, and what happens elsewhere is irrelevant to your question.
(08-26-2009, 10:49 PM)SanctiDominici Wrote: I would think the same...just some immature idiot. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar!

Yes!
Matthew 7:1 Judge not, that you may not be judged,
(08-27-2009, 04:06 AM)Walty Wrote: How could it be inflammatory?  Who would befriend a Protestant?

Ugh. My entire family is Protestant. They aren't bad people; they simply do not know the true Church. They don't even know that such a thing called the "true Church" exists. Protestants should be befriended and prayed for.
(08-27-2009, 03:59 AM)SouthpawLink Wrote: Personally, I don't think it's very charitable. Maybe instead you should try and post excerpts from the writings of the Church Fathers, where they expound on Catholic doctrine. I think that would be much more effective.

As others have already remarked, I don't think you'll change anyone's mind with anti-Protestant slogans. You'd be better off posting nuggets of truth of the Catholic and Apostolic Faith.

I don't know if it's uncharitable strictly, so much as imprudent and rather rude (as has been said). But I think this is a great idea -- St. John Chrysostom has some killer one-liners. So does Augustine. I'd post those instead if I were you. This has the added benefit of not being your own authority/opinion but that of greatly respected figures, in many cases respected even by folks who are wrong about them. But it might invite them to think more thoroughly about what they really said...