Assistance Needed!
legendofheasty Wrote:This is at a Catholic university

I suggest you save your money and go to some state school.

It is beyond me why any non-seminarian would go to a Catholic university - even in the best of times (well, except for the Medieval schools). A solid Newman Club (a rare thing these days, I admit) and local parishes should be more than enough to allow the Christian student to grow in his faith - and without being stripped of his last dime. In the field of the hostile secular university the Catholic will be able to test his beliefs, hone his apologetics, and come to a deeper reason for the hope which is within him. Being in a totally Catholic environment (as I say, in better times, for such things are rare nowadays) makes it easy for one to get lazy in these areas.
People who are determined to be wrong have a tendency to stay that way.

A LOT of college is about keeping your head down and your mouth shut.  State University or Catholic one.  Here's your chance to practice.
(08-30-2009, 10:47 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: People who are determined to be wrong have a tendency to stay that way.

A LOT of college is about keeping your head down and your mouth shut.  State University or Catholic one.  Here's your chance to practice.

This is good advice.  I would highly advise against arguing with him in class.  If it bothers you then go to him privately and speak with him in an overly charitable way.  But, if you challenge him particularily in class and in front of your peers he will dismiss you out of hand and may get fed up enough that it could affect your grade or your standing with the college.  Haha, believe me, I've been there and nothing good came out of it.

Most academics wouldn't listen to a word than an undergraduate (or anyone else for that matter) would ever say to them.  They have a PhD don't you know?

Don't accept his teachings.  Always uphold Truth.  But keep your head down along the way.  Make sense?
(08-27-2009, 01:46 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: They don't care about the truth, they care about their agenda.  I predict that if you read the Syllabus to them, they will be dismissive of it and claim the Church changed at V2 and everything is good now.

My suggestion is to get through the class in one piece, pass it, purge your mind of the nonsense and move on.

I agree as a coolege student Ive dealt with my fair share of jerks. Get through it, swallow it and get your good grade.
o man! y'all are awesome with all this stuff! thanks for all the document sources.  I think playing his game and working from VII documents would work best.  In class I only pose innocent questions that I know someone else has to be thinking.    I thinking about making a weekly post on the class material.  Things are finally starting to get less abstract and more centered on specific topics.  could lead to some interesting discussions here, no? :laughing: