Saint of the Day: St. Augustine of Hippo
Saint of the Day: St. Augustine, Bishop and Doctor of the Church
August 28, 2009

“You have formed us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless till they find rest in You.” -- Confessions I:1

Since that wonderful, heavenly conversation at Ostia, God had completed His triumph in the son of Monica's tears and of Ambrose's holiness. Far away from the great cities where pleasure had seduced him, the former rhetorician now cared only to nourish his soul with the simplicity of the Scriptures, in silence and solitude. But grace, after breaking the double chain that bound his mind and his heart, was to have a still greater dominion over him; the pontifical consecration was to consummate Augustine's union with that Divine Wisdom, whom alone he declared he loved' for her own sole sake, caring neither for rest nor life save on her account.' [Soliloq. i. 22]...To the end of his life Augustine never ceased to fight for the truth against all the heresies then invented by the father of lies...” (source)

The praise of Augustine has never ceased to be proclaimed in the Church of God, even by the Roman Pontiffs. While the holy Bishop was yet alive, Innocent I greeted him as a beloved friend and extolled the letter which he had received from the Saint and from four Bishops, his friends: “A letter instinct with faith and staunch with all the vigor of the Catholic religion.” Shortly after the death of Augustine, Celestine I defends him against his opponents in the following noble words: “We have ever deemed Augustine a man to be remembered for his sanctity, because of his life and services in our communion, nor has rumor at any time darkened his name with the suspicion of evil. So great was his knowledge, as we recall, that he was always reckoned by my predecessors also among our foremost teachers. All alike, therefore, thought highly of him as a man held in affection and honor by all.

Hormisdas wrote in answer to Bishop Possessor’s request for direction these weighty words: “What the Roman, that is, the Catholic Church follows and maintains touching free will and the grace of God, can be learned from the different works of blessed Augustine, those especially which he addressed to Hilary and Prosper, though the formal chapters are contained in the ecclesiastical records.” A like testimony was uttered by John II, when in refutation of heretics he appealed to the works of Augustine: “Whose teaching,” he said, “according to the enactments of my predecessors, the Roman Church follows and maintains...Saint Gregory, thinking as highly of Augustine as he thought humbly of himself, wrote to Innocentius, prefect of Africa: "If you wish to feast on choice food, read the works of blessed Augustine, your fellowcountryman. His writings are as fine wheat. Seek not for our bran."
-- Ad Salutem, Encyclical by Pope Pius XI

In August 430, Augustine fell ill with a fever. He knew he would die...Augustine wanted to die alone.

“Indeed, this holy man...was always was always in the habit of telling us, when we talked as intimates, that even praise worthy Christians and bishops, though baptized, should still not leave this life without having performed due and exacting penance. This is what he did in his own last illness: for he had ordered the four psalms of David that deal with penance to be copied out. From his sick-bed he could see these sheets of paper everyday, hanging on his walls, and would read them, crying constantly and deeply. And, lest his attention be distracted from this in any way,  almost ten days before his death, he asked us that none should come in to see him, except at those hours when the doctors would come to examine him or his meals were brought. This was duly observed: and so he had all that stretch of time to pray...” (Possidus’ Vita XXXI:1-3)

Augustine died, and was buried, on August 28th, 430.
  -- From Augustine Of Hippo A Biography by Peter Brown p. 436

A few weeks after Augustine’s death, an envoy of the Emperor Valentinian III arrived at Carthage with an invitation to him to take his seat at the Ecumenical Council which was to be held at Ephesius at Whitsuntide 431 to deal with the dispute between St. Cyril of Alexandria and the Patriarch Nestorious of Constantinople regarding the union of the two Natures in the incarnate Christ. It was a last, and fitting, tribute to the great Doctor of the Latin Church. -- From St. Augustine of Hippo: Life and Controversies by Gerald Bonner p. 156

Site dedicated to St. Augustine: St. Augustinus

Also a [URL=http://staugustineofhippo.com/2009/07/19/prayer-to-st-augustine-by-pope-john-paul-ii/"]Prayer to St. Augustine by Pope John Paul II[/URL]

Valz: St. Augustinus, ora pro nobis!
[Image: StAugustine.gif]

This one (by Tiffany) is great too
My favorite comment on the human condition:  "Give me chastity and constancy, but not yet..." :)

How's this for providential?  This past Wednesday, I led a discussion with my fellow faculty members on Book II of Confessions with an eye towards understanding what our middle and high school students go through in their adolescence.  The discussions went better than I hoped, so I believe that the bishop of Hippo was watching over us...
Prayer of St. Augustine
Lord Jesus, let me know myself and know you,
And desire nothing save only you.
Let me hate myself and love you.
Let me do everything for the sake of you.
Let me humble myself and exalt you.
Let me think of nothing except you.
Let me die to myself and live in you.
Let me accept whatever happens as from you.
Let me banish the self and follow you,
And ever desire to follow you.
Let me fly from myself and take refuge in you,
That I may deserve to be defended by you.
Let me fear for myself, let me fear you,
And let me be among those who are chosen by you.
Let me distrust myself and put my trust in you.
Let me be willing to obey for the sake of you.
Let me cling to nothing save only to you,
And let me be poor because of you.
Look upon me, that I may love you.
Call me that I may see you,
And for ever enjoy you. Amen.
"Charity is no substitute for justice withheld." -St. Augustine

Along with St. Nicholas, St. Augustine is the Patron Saint of beer drinkers!  :cheers:

http://www.breviary.net/propsaints/props...ts0828.htm

http://www.catholictradition.org/Saints/saints8-19.htm

http://www.magnificat.ca/cal/engl/08-28.htm

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02084a.htm

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02091a.htm

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02089a.htm

http://saints.sqpn.com/saint-augustine-of-hippo/
St. Augustine’s Canticle of Love
My love of you, God, is not some vague feeling;
It is positive and certain.
Your word struck into my heart
and from that moment I loved you.
Besides this, all about me,
heaven and earth and all that they contain
proclaim that I should love you.

But what do I love when I love you?
Not material beauty of a temporal order;
not the brilliance of earthly light;
not the sweet melody of harmony and song;
not the fragrance of flowers, perfumes, and spices;
not manna or honey;
and not limbs the body delights to embrace.

It is not these that I love when I love my God.
And yet, when I love him,
it is true that I love a light of a certain kind,
a voice, a perfume, a food, an embrace;
but they are the kind that I love in my inner self,
when my soul is bathed in light that is not bound by space;
when it listens to sound that never dies away;
when it breathes fragrance that is not borne away on the wind;
when it tastes food that is never consumed by the eating;
when it clings to an embrace from which
it is not severed by fulfillment of desire.
This is what I love when I love my God.

– Confessions 10, 6-8
St. Augustine, along with St. Athanasius, are my favorite saints of the 3rd thru 5th centuries.  The City of God is an outstanding work.  St. Augustine was such a brilliant mind of the early Church.  He proves that the ammillenial position is the most "Catholic" and Christian and also proves that the chiliastic and pre-millenial idealism of the earlier times was a carnal idea.  We see from Saints like St. Augustine that the chiliastic pre-millenialism was due to a few dissenters who Judaized the Faith by not fully Christianizing the idea of "the Messianic Age" and "the Millenium."

I love St. Augustine.
Praise and veneration be to our great Father and Doctor Saint Augustine!
(08-28-2009, 10:10 AM)Pilgrim Wrote: My favorite comment on the human condition:  "Give me chastity and constancy, but not yet..." :)

How's this for providential?  This past Wednesday, I led a discussion with my fellow faculty members on Book II of Confessions with an eye towards understanding what our middle and high school students go through in their adolescence.  The discussions went better than I hoped, so I believe that the bishop of Hippo was watching over us...

Here is the full context of that quote
The Confessions (Book VIII)
He finally describes the thirty-second year of his age, the most memorable of his whole life, in which, being instructed by Simplicianus concerning the conversion of others, and the manner of acting, he is, after a severe struggle, renewed in his whole mind, and is converted unto God.

Chapter 7. He Deplores His Wretchedness, that Having Been Born Thirty-Two Years, He Had Not Yet Found Out the Truth.
17. But now, the more ardently I loved those whose healthful affections I heard tell of, that they had given up themselves wholly to You to be cured, the more did I abhor myself when compared with them. For many of my years (perhaps twelve) had passed away since my nineteenth, when, on the reading ofCicero's Hortensius, I was roused to a desire for wisdom; and still I was delaying to reject mere worldly happiness, and to devote myself to search out that whereof not the finding alone, but the bare search, ought to have been preferred before the treasures and kingdoms of this world, though already found, and before the pleasures of the body, though encompassing me at mywill. But I, miserable young man, supremely miserable even in the very outset of my youth, had entreated chastity of You, and said, "Grant me chastity and continency, but not yet." For I was afraid lest You should hear me soon, and soon deliver me from the disease of concupiscence, which I desired to have satisfied rather than extinguished. And I had wandered through perverse ways in a sacrilegious superstition; not indeed assured thereof, but preferring that to the others, which I did not seek religiously, but opposed maliciously.

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/110108.htm
I started a novena to St. Augustine a couple of days ago so that it would end today on his feast day. Here is the last prayer of the novena:

St. Augustine, servant of Mary, glory of the Church, pray for our Holy Father, our bishops, our priests, our Religious Orders, that, through their pious zeal and apostolic labors, all may be united in faith and give greater glory to God. St. Augustine, helper of all who invoke you, pray for me and intercede for me before the throne of Almighty God that I be granted the favor I so earnestly seek in this novena.

Say: (1) Our Father, (1) Hail Mary, (1) Glory Be

St. Augustine, pray for us!

See the entire novena here.