Kennedy Funeral
(08-29-2009, 03:00 PM)Carthusian Wrote: I *think* I saw Joe Biden go up for Communion before the camera cut away.  But, I could be wrong about this.

Well, since VP Biden is (nominally) a Catholic, that's not news. I imagine he receives Communion quite regularly.
(08-29-2009, 02:39 PM)OSanctissima Wrote: I found the selection for the Gospel to be rather meaningful to the event/crowd.  The Lord gathering the good to His "right" and the evil to His "left".  It seemed rather apropos.

Did it?  Is one type of politician really less evil than another type of politician based solely upon the type of lies they tell? 
I'm dying to know...did Obama receive Communion or attempt to do so?

Anyone know?
It is a sad day for the Church, but never be ashamed of it.  Christ gave us the Church but didn't say it would be perfect.
(08-29-2009, 01:53 PM)PeterII Wrote:
(08-29-2009, 01:40 PM)Stephanos Wrote:
(08-29-2009, 01:02 PM)alaric Wrote: I guess we can forget about mentioning Mary Jo Kopechne altogether as well.

I can't believe the church is allowing the "canonization" of this scumbag.

Today I'm ashamed to be called a Catholic.

You ARE a Catholic.  The proud, elite Catholic-hating politicians at the funeral who "say" they're Catholic are not.

So no need to be ashamed of yourself.  I think what you really mean is you're ashamed of them.

The "Catholic" clergy are to blame because they allow the politicians to believe it. 

I could have sworn that I read (in a thread) a while back about Canon Law supporting the excommunication of obstinate heretics (or public sinners)... or maybe it was about the legitimacy (and necessity) of denying them Holy Communion.
Quote:I could have sworn that I read (in a thread) a while back about Canon Law supporting the excommunication of obstinate heretics (or public sinners)... or maybe it was about the legitimacy (and necessity) of denying them Holy Communion.

Well here's the Canon Law pertaining to Catholic funerals:

Quote:Can.  1184 §1. Unless they gave some signs of repentance before death, the following must be deprived of ecclesiastical funerals:

1/ notorious apostates, heretics, and schismatics;

2/ those who chose the cremation of their bodies for reasons contrary to Christian faith;

3/ other manifest sinners who cannot be granted ecclesiastical funerals without public scandal of the faithful.

§2. If any doubt occurs, the local ordinary is to be consulted, and his judgment must be followed.

And here what the priest who was at Kennedy's death bed said:

Quote:In an interview with a Boston TV station, the Kennedy family priest who was called last night to Ted Kennedy's bedside, said the senator "was ready to go."

"The truth is, he had expressed to his family that he did want to go. He did want to go to heaven. He did want to die and he did want to go. He was ready to go. There was a certain amount peace -- a lot of peace, actually -- in the family get-together last night. I couldn't help but think that the world doesn't know that part of the senator at all," said the Rev. Patrick Tarrant, who was called to Kennedy's home late Tuesday night.

Tarrant said Kennedy was "a man of quiet prayer" in his last few hours.

"He was there and very reverent. I wish the world had known that part of him, but that was his secret. It was like it was the secret of his power, to be involved in doing good for others and it was what, I believe, drove him," Tarrant said.

The devil could not have done a better job at the bedside. 

Nope, I didn't watch. I was at work. But if I was at home, and if I had a TV hooked up, I still wouldn't watch it.

They could pull out all the stops and bring in all kinds of stars, and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference. The Anglicans can put on a good show, too, but they ain't Catholic either. There were no Graces received from this funeral Mass. 
(08-29-2009, 11:39 PM)PeterII Wrote:
Quote:I could have sworn that I read (in a thread) a while back about Canon Law supporting the excommunication of obstinate heretics (or public sinners)... or maybe it was about the legitimacy (and necessity) of denying them Holy Communion.

Well here's the Canon Law pertaining to Catholic funerals:

Quote:Can.  1184 §1. Unless they gave some signs of repentance before death, the following must be deprived of ecclesiastical funerals:

1/ notorious apostates, heretics, and schismatics;

2/ those who chose the cremation of their bodies for reasons contrary to Christian faith;

3/ other manifest sinners who cannot be granted ecclesiastical funerals without public scandal of the faithful.

§2. If any doubt occurs, the local ordinary is to be consulted, and his judgment must be followed.

And here what the priest who was at Kennedy's death bed said:

Quote:In an interview with a Boston TV station, the Kennedy family priest who was called last night to Ted Kennedy's bedside, said the senator "was ready to go."

"The truth is, he had expressed to his family that he did want to go. He did want to go to heaven. He did want to die and he did want to go. He was ready to go. There was a certain amount peace -- a lot of peace, actually -- in the family get-together last night. I couldn't help but think that the world doesn't know that part of the senator at all," said the Rev. Patrick Tarrant, who was called to Kennedy's home late Tuesday night.

Tarrant said Kennedy was "a man of quiet prayer" in his last few hours.

"He was there and very reverent. I wish the world had known that part of him, but that was his secret. It was like it was the secret of his power, to be involved in doing good for others and it was what, I believe, drove him," Tarrant said.

The devil could not have done a better job at the bedside. 

And other sources said Kennedy received Last Rites.  If Kennedy showed a sign of repentance (e.g. going to Confession), then he'd meet the grounds to receive a Catholic funeral.  A manifest sinner shows no signs or repentance.  We can't know what went on in the Confessional, but only what happened on the outside.  If he wasn't truly repentant, then God will know.  However, on the outside, we assume he was.  Thus, he should (and did) get a funeral.

Of course, there shouldn't have been a eulogy.  Nor, should they have 'canonized' him.
(08-29-2009, 01:53 PM)PeterII Wrote:
(08-29-2009, 01:40 PM)Stephanos Wrote:
(08-29-2009, 01:02 PM)alaric Wrote: I guess we can forget about mentioning Mary Jo Kopechne altogether as well.

I can't believe the church is allowing the "canonization" of this scumbag.

Today I'm ashamed to be called a Catholic.

You ARE a Catholic.  The proud, elite Catholic-hating politicians at the funeral who "say" they're Catholic are not.

So no need to be ashamed of yourself.  I think what you really mean is you're ashamed of them.

The "Catholic" clergy are to blame because they allow the politicians to believe it. 

Exactly. Who knows Kennedy may get to at least purgatory if he made a good confession but the road to hell is paved with Bishops.

The one thing I noticed is there was no prayers for the forgiveness of sins and no litany of the Saints.
I think we should all just pray for his soul and let it go at that.