Alright to Bring Hindu Friend To Mass?
Most people here have been advocating bringing your friend to the TLM.  If you choose to do so, you're going to need to explain everything to him in advance (unless, of course, he understands Latin).  I've been lucky enough to attend reverent NO parishes most of my adult life, so my first inclination would be to bring him to one of those so he could understand what was being said without subtitles. 
(09-01-2009, 10:59 AM)Pilgrim Wrote: Most people here have been advocating bringing your friend to the TLM.  If you choose to do so, you're going to need to explain everything to him in advance (unless, of course, he understands Latin).  I've been lucky enough to attend reverent NO parishes most of my adult life, so my first inclination would be to bring him to one of those so he could understand what was being said without subtitles. 

This seems like really good advice if there is indeed a reverent NO available to you.  The Traditional Mass often means nothing to anyone who wasn't either raised in it or already had a pretty thorough understanding of Catholic theology and the Mass. Why wouldn't this also be true for your friend, especially since he is a Hindu?
(09-01-2009, 01:21 PM)Walty Wrote:
(09-01-2009, 10:59 AM)Pilgrim Wrote: Most people here have been advocating bringing your friend to the TLM.  If you choose to do so, you're going to need to explain everything to him in advance (unless, of course, he understands Latin).  I've been lucky enough to attend reverent NO parishes most of my adult life, so my first inclination would be to bring him to one of those so he could understand what was being said without subtitles. 

This seems like really good advice if there is indeed a reverent NO available to you.  The Traditional Mass often means nothing to anyone who wasn't either raised in it or already had a pretty thorough understanding of Catholic theology and the Mass. Why wouldn't this also be true for your friend, especially since he is a Hindu?
Thirded, unless your Hindu friend has a solid command of Latin and very good hearing.

That being said, it's actually pretty surprising how many non-Catholics WANT to go to Mass, at least in my experience.
-removed-
Why can't he stay Hindu? According to one of you that's the only reason why Indian cuisine tastes good. Plus, they have a god with an elephant head. He's cool.
O' course, if he want s to convert sure! But don't pressure him, k? Why not learn some Hindu stuff in return? Go to a... Hindu meeting.... thing. After all, if you're sure your beliefs are right, you've got no reason to fear being tempted into converted, and a little cultural understanding could go a long way. Also, that way he doesn't feel pressured to joining a religion that may not be right for him. After all, any worthy God would respect someone staying true to his/her beliefs.
(09-15-2009, 06:40 PM)Zanic Wrote: Why can't he stay Hindu? According to one of you that's the only reason why Indian cuisine tastes good. Plus, they have a god with an elephant head. He's cool.
O' course, if he want s to convert sure! But don't pressure him, k? Why not learn some Hindu stuff in return? Go to a... Hindu meeting.... thing. After all, if you're sure your beliefs are right, you've got no reason to fear being tempted into converted, and a little cultural understanding could go a long way. Also, that way he doesn't feel pressured to joining a religion that may not be right for him. After all, any worthy God would respect someone staying true to his/her beliefs.

:awww:

How cute.
(09-15-2009, 06:40 PM)Zanic Wrote: Why can't he stay Hindu? According to one of you that's the only reason why Indian cuisine tastes good. Plus, they have a god with an elephant head. He's cool.

Don't feed the troll!