Feast of St Fiacre
Feast of St Fiacre
[Image: St%2BFiacre.jpg]

Hours of Philip of Burgundy, c. 1450-1460
Hours of Simon de Varie, c. 1455

Died in 670, St Fiacre was ordained a priest and retired to a hermitage on the banks of the Nore, County Kilkenny. He later left his native land for France, where he was warmly greeted by St Faro in 628. Faro granted him out of his own patrimony a site at Breuil surrounded by forests. Upon that land Fiacre built an oratory in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, a hospice in which he received strangers, and a cell in which he himself lived apart. He lived a life of great mortification, in prayer, fast, vigil, and the manual labour of the garden. Disciples gathered around him and soon formed a monastery.

He cured all manner of diseases by laying on his hands; blindness, polypus, fevers are mentioned, and especially a tumour or fistula since called "le fic de S. Fiacre". His remains were interred in the church at Breuil, where his sanctity was soon attested by the numerous cures wrought at his tomb. Many churches and oratories have been dedicated to him throughout France. His shrine at Breuil is still a resort for pilgrims with bodily ailments. He is best remembered as patron of gardeners.

Saint Fiacre, intercede before God for all gardeners, that their gardens may produce well and be a place of peace and meditation. Amen.
Thank you for this.  A few years ago when I plowed my vegetable garden for the first time, I spent a little time in prayer with St. Fiacre.  I reaped a big bounty that year.  Since then, I've kind of forgotten about him-- and my garden has really suffered.  I'm not pious enough to know if that's a corellation or not, but it is a wise reminder to remember to stay in communion with the saints.
He's also the Patron Saint of cab drivers.
You're welcome; I'm planting some flowers in a couple of weeks, and will remember St Fiacre too. He seems to have been very hardworking. I had no idea he was patron of cab (taxi) drivers!
(08-30-2009, 05:44 PM)Melita Wrote: You're welcome; I'm planting some flowers in a couple of weeks, and will remember St Fiacre too. He seems to have been very hardworking. I had no idea he was patron of cab (taxi) drivers!

And as a former cab driver, who invoked him regularly, I had no idea he was patron of gardeners! :)
Thanks for this. I can now add him to my prayers with St. Isadore for the garden. Also, can you provide a phonetic transscription so as to do justice in pronouncing his name? Thanks. H
(08-30-2009, 07:54 PM)Heinrich Wrote: Thanks for this. I can now add him to my prayers with St. Isadore for the garden. Also, can you provide a phonetic transscription so as to do justice in pronouncing his name? Thanks. H

Fee-ack-ree

St. Fiacre is patron of hemorrhoid sufferers, too.  I think that's related to the cab driving more than the gardening.  ;D
I like this story....and I think I now have a name for this baby, if its a boy, Faro...I very much like that.
(09-01-2009, 06:31 PM)PaxVobiscum Wrote: St. Fiacre is patron of hemorrhoid sufferers, too.  I think that's related to the cab driving more than the gardening.   ;D

As a former cabbie, I'm quite sure you're right! :laughing: