My daughter just recieved Communion and hasn't even made her first confession
Okay, so here's the skinny:

My six year old daughter received Communion today. By accident. 

I was in the pew and proceeded up the main aisle, while my wife proceeded to another area on the Communion Rail, because she had been in the vestibule with my 5 month old son and my daughter.  I didn't see what happened but according to my wife, she received Communion, and proceeded to get up and head back to the pew. Apparently my daughter lagged behind a bit, and after the Priest blessed her, she proceeded to open her mouth, and he gave her the Host. Obviously, she didn't run around and play with it. I saw her on her way back down the aisle, with her head bowed and her hands joined in front of her as she marched down the aisle, same as usual, then knelt and said a Hail Mary like she usually does after she gets blessed.

Obviously , I am at a loss. I'm not concerned my daughter meant any sort of disrespect or took the situation with any less seriousness than it deserves. She is very enthusiastic for the faith, regularly prays the Rosary with me, and frequently asks me to read her excerpts from her Lives of the Saints book or a Saint's Bio out of the Liturgical Year in lieu of your ordinary talking animal based bed time story. My fallen away Mother has often sarcastically remarked that she hopes I don't want grandchildren because I'm raising a Nun.

So where do I go from here? Should I address this with the Priest or let it blow by? I was always under the impression that he was aware she had not made her First Communion yet, and it has previously been a subject of conversation for us, especially around the time of my son's Baptism. I'm also clueless as to why he gave her the Eucharist after he had already Blessed her.

I'm open to any suggestions or comments.
um...you definitely tell the priest
Tell your daughter not to receive it again (in a nice way).  I suspect that her intentions were entirely good and at worst she was imitating piety and taken up by the moment.  She might have interpreted the priest's blessing as a sign from him that she could recieve.  At best she is very pius and simply didn't understand.

I have a six year old too and she is constantly asking when she will be able to make her first communion.

Don't worry.  Every day God's True Presence ends up in far unholier mouths.  "Suffer little children to come unto me" and all that good stuff.  I'd be a penny to a pound that God sees a positive side to these innocent mistakes.
(08-30-2009, 11:45 PM)Reichsjager Wrote: Okay, so here's the skinny:

My six year old daughter received Communion today. By accident. 

I was in the pew and proceeded up the main aisle, while my wife proceeded to another area on the Communion Rail, because she had been in the vestibule with my 5 month old son and my daughter.  I didn't see what happened but according to my wife, she received Communion, and proceeded to get up and head back to the pew. Apparently my daughter lagged behind a bit, and after the Priest blessed her, she proceeded to open her mouth, and he gave her the Host. Obviously, she didn't run around and play with it. I saw her on her way back down the aisle, with her head bowed and her hands joined in front of her as she marched down the aisle, same as usual, then knelt and said a Hail Mary like she usually does after she gets blessed.

Obviously , I am at a loss. I'm not concerned my daughter meant any sort of disrespect or took the situation with any less seriousness than it deserves. She is very enthusiastic for the faith, regularly prays the Rosary with me, and frequently asks me to read her excerpts from her Lives of the Saints book or a Saint's Bio out of the Liturgical Year in lieu of your ordinary talking animal based bed time story. My fallen away Mother has often sarcastically remarked that she hopes I don't want grandchildren because I'm raising a Nun.

So where do I go from here? Should I address this with the Priest or let it blow by? I was always under the impression that he was aware she had not made her First Communion yet, and it has previously been a subject of conversation for us, especially around the time of my son's Baptism. I'm also clueless as to why he gave her the Eucharist after he had already Blessed her.

I'm open to any suggestions or comments.
Sounds like she sent mixed signals to the priest.

It might be best to have her wait in the pew at Communion time from now on. Give her a "job" like holding your missal. Maybe tell her if she's a good girl, she can go and light a prayer candle with you after Mass.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
I really don't see any reason to go to the preist as suggested above, just make sure she understands she's not supposed to...other that that it makes for one hellova cute story.

she's 6..age of reason not attained...straight to Heaven if the worst were to happen...so no real harm done.
There's no reason to tell the priest. Make it clear to your daughter that she shouldn't recieve Communion right now, and move on.
(08-31-2009, 05:16 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: I really don't see any reason to go to the preist as suggested above, just make sure she understands she's not supposed to...other that that it makes for one hellova cute story.

she's 6..age of reason not attained...

Age of reason usually not attained by a 6yo. There are exceptions (although this is overwhelmingly the norm) My daughter Brigid, was still shy of her 7th birthday when she first received Via an SSPX priest (although she went through formal instruction and had her first confession the day before).

I'm surprised that this doesn't happen more often. I personally have never understood the whole "bring the whole family to the communion rail" thing that you see in a lot of Trad chapels (including SSPX). Ours stay in the pew with a firm admonition from Dad to behave or suffer the consequences (infants, of course, being the exception).
My niece received Holy Communion twice by accident before she made her official First Holy Communion.
Since she did it properly, I'd say that it is no problem and probably a blessing. I go to the NO and if they were like your daughter, it would be the holiest parish I've ever seen.

When children go the rail, they normally do not act like they are receiving, so the priest knows (if they don't already know) not to give, but I could see how almost any kid on their own could receive if they wanted to.

I do think people should confess frequently, especially if they receive, but I doubt it was a necessity in your daughter's case. Perhaps it could just be a sign :)
Talk to the priest.  It may be that he will decide it is time for her to receive Holy Communion regularly.  St. Pius X once famously gave First Communion to a six-year old boy.  The parents mentioned that the boy had to wait a bit longer to receive Holy Communion.  The Pope asked the child, "Whom do we receive in Holy Communion?"    "Jesus," the child replied.  The Pope told his parents to bring him back the next morning for his First Communion.