Priestly garb question
How often do/should priests wear the cassock or the collar?  What was traditionally done?  Outside of the church grounds, how often do priests wear priestly garb?

The few times I have run into NO priests out in public (restaurant, store, even a bar, etc), I have noticed they are usually in street clothes.  Traditional priests are usually in a cassock, or minimally, a shirt and collar.  What is normal for priests to wear when in public outside of church activities?  Did priests traditionally always wear the cassock in any situation similar to nuns who wear the habit everywhere?  I am interested in the responses.
When I was a boy, a priest always wore his 'clericals' when on the street. If he wasn't wearing them, the assumption was that he had something to hide. The cassock was unusual outside the Church, in the US, but I understand it was common in Europe. Of course, there were exceptions, e.g. Mexico, where until recently it was illegal to wear clericals outside the Church.
When I was a kid our priest wore his cassock around the church grounds and to hear confessions, and when he came to the classroom to speak to the kids. But he wore black pants and the regular black clergy shirt with collar when he left the grounds, such as when he visited the sick in hospitals, etc. 

Our pastor today does the same only minus the cassock. He is always seen in public in his black clerical garb and collar, and he always comes to the parish office dressed the same way. The only time he is seen wearing "civilian clothes" is at our staff Christmas party which is held inside the rectory and involves only the staff, his family and a few close friends. 

- Lisa
(08-31-2009, 12:57 PM)Carthusian Wrote: How often do/should priests wear the cassock or the collar?  What was traditionally done?  Outside of the church grounds, how often do priests wear priestly garb?

The few times I have run into NO priests out in public (restaurant, store, even a bar, etc), I have noticed they are usually in street clothes.  Traditional priests are usually in a cassock, or minimally, a shirt and collar.  What is normal for priests to wear when in public outside of church activities?  Did priests traditionally always wear the cassock in any situation similar to nuns who wear the habit everywhere?  I am interested in the responses.

Don't lump all priests together. It is quite varied. Some NO priests do wear cassocks and obvious clerical clothes at all times, some traditional priests will wear casual clothes for sports and such.

Normally, I think a priest should wear proper clothing for a priest at all times, unless they are in a situation where everyone knows him personally.
OUr priests will wera there cassocks most of the times, theres been the odd time i have seen them in pants and shirt, but always the collar
Here they tend not to wear the collar on the golf course, or when they're doing anything sporty like that.  They're not "undercover" or anything, because they're almost always amongst parishioners. 
(08-31-2009, 01:56 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: OUr priests will wera there cassocks most of the times, theres been the odd time i have seen them in pants and shirt, but always the collar

I have an NO Priest friend (who's learning the TLM) who always wears cassock and biretta on the street, except when he's jogging. Then he wears sweats or modest shorts and tee shirt. Saw him one day and started laughing. He said, laughing also, 'Don't look!" :laughing:
(08-31-2009, 02:07 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-31-2009, 01:56 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: OUr priests will wera there cassocks most of the times, theres been the odd time i have seen them in pants and shirt, but always the collar

I have an NO Priest friend (who's learning the TLM) who always wears cassock and biretta on the street, except when he's jogging. Then he wears sweats or modest shorts and tee shirt. Saw him one day and started laughing. He said, laughing also, 'Don't look!" :laughing:
HAHA! Our priests are usually in a black dress shirt, dress pants and collar when they arent in a cassock! We had one priest who used to go bike riding in his cassock!
(08-31-2009, 01:52 PM)Rosarium Wrote: Don't lump all priests together. It is quite varied. Some NO priests do wear cassocks and obvious clerical clothes at all times, some traditional priests will wear casual clothes for sports and such.

That's right. The cassock is still the customary garb worn by NO priests from the diocese of Covington KY, across the river from us. We keep a number of cassocks at our church supply store because they are in high demand.

- Lisa
(08-31-2009, 02:08 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(08-31-2009, 01:52 PM)Rosarium Wrote: Don't lump all priests together. It is quite varied. Some NO priests do wear cassocks and obvious clerical clothes at all times, some traditional priests will wear casual clothes for sports and such.

That's right. The cassock is still the customary garb worn by NO priests from the diocese of Covington KY, across the river from us. We keep a number of cassocks at our church supply store because they are in high demand.

- Lisa

I haven't seen any regular priest at my NO church without proper clothing, and one who regularly wears his cassock. We got a new priest though who is a little...you know, but I'm not sure about him.