Trusting Divine Providence
I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some advice. At times I doubt divine providence, I doubt that God will help me in matters temporal. I have such great failings as a human, that I can't see how I can recover from serious mistakes, for example. Are there any books on the subject of trusting divine providence?
(09-03-2009, 08:24 AM)SinfullyLate Wrote: I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some advice. At times I doubt divine providence, I doubt that God will help me in matters temporal. I have such great failings as a human, that I can't see how I can recover from serious mistakes, for example. Are there any books on the subject of trusting divine providence?

If you made mistakes those were not from God's Providence, but excluding God's will from your life. Afaik you shall meditate on the mercy of God, He is ready to accept and heal you, whatever you did, until your free will is not frozen by death.

As book for meditation the Gospels are excellent source
Here's a good little book by St. Alphonsus Liguori that might help  :) :

http://www.catholictreasury.info/books/u.../index.php
Abandonment to Divine Providence by Jean Pierre Caussade S.J. is a classic. 

Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence is small and excellent. 

Holy Abandonment by Dom Vitalis Lehodey is big and excellent too.  He also wrote an excellent book on prayer called the Ways of Mental Prayer.  Very systematic. 

You can buy these and other fine books by clicking the link to Amazon.com above.  Some proceeds will go to maintaining Fisheaters.

I think it was St. Augustine who said something like:  Work like it all depends on you, but pray because it really all depends on God.
Practise the Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus  :) I once was told: "Be kind to yourself, be persistent in your prayers! '. A very saintly advice, indeed.
Trusting Divine Providence...that's an interesting one. One the one hand, we know it's just true that trusting is simply the thing to do. God knows us inside out, knows what is best for us, calls us on a unique path, and ultimately, that is how we will fulfill our purpose now and reap a far greater eternity.

But...we feel like we know better than God, or we'd prefer that x happened this way instead of that, or that x happened but never did. So we can become emotional wrecks. Still, even if we try to conform ourselves to God's will, open up ourselves completely to Him, that doesn't mean these irrational feeling won't stir up. We're all human. There lies the challenge: sticking to your guns not letting those feelings get the better of you; instead,  kneeling down with child-like faith admitting our helplessness and calling on God for help.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't express our desires to God. After all, God's Providence for us can be very obscure at times. Expression of our wants - i.e.: prayers of petition - can be seen as part of the providential plan itself. I suppose the key is not to get fixated on a particular want, to the point where God's will becomes irrelevant in your mind. God willing...that's tough to say that, but at the end of the day, you know it's right, because God knows better than we do. And He has our true and ultimate good in mind, namely, our sanctity. 

Temporal desires are legitimate on the condition they are not sought for themselves, but as an aid to reaching God ultimately in Heaven. Again, easier said than done, when it seems even legitimate temporal goods are being denied by God. That's where heroism is necessary...doing what we can of course, at the same time having a child-like faith in God that He knows what He is doing.
You may never get over that, as most of us wont. Our minds are not wired to conceive the level of Gods love and mercy. We will always doubt we are not so important or feel we can never fully be reconciled or "how can that sin possibly be forgiven?" Just pray for more faith and less doubting. Ive had a priest tell me that doubt can be planted in our minds from Satan to help drag us down. So keep going, you may doubt, but as our Lord said, put your hand to the plow and keep going!