Ugh..."Church in the Round" - ca. 1953!
http://www.stbasils.org/church/churchtour.html

thres alot of this nonsense around....the pastor of the above church said during a homily that the mass is like a big party, where theres good friends, music, food (referencing the Blessed sacrament!) so we should all have a good time....he also had a small cloth bag of wheat kernles that he used as a prop for the same homily after which he non chalantly tossed the bag behind him onto the ALTAR! and then continued on with the homily............bleh! :pray:
The following video was areal eye opener for me regarding the origins of the liberal movement within the Catholic Church.  I had no idea...

(09-06-2009, 11:59 AM)NonSumDignus Wrote:
(09-06-2009, 07:42 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(09-06-2009, 07:08 AM)timjp77 Wrote: notice none of the women are wearing chapel veils.

None. Everybody wore hats. . at least in the USA.

Nothing screams "neo trad" more than a mantilla.

Or Spanish/Italian Catholics, who preferred the veils over hats.

But I always saw the same thing growing up in the 90s in Wisconsin.  There certainly are almost no Spanish or Italian Catholics there.  It's almost all German and Dutch with some Irish thrown in.  I know they aren't neotrads.  To this day, if you go into one of the daily masses an hour early or something they will all be sitting there in their veils.
I never saw a mantilla in my life but on Jackie Kennedy and Grace Kelly - ONCE. Peasant girls from Spain and Portugal wore long veils - not the lacy ones, but the kind you see the Fatima children wearing. When American school girls went to School Mass, we had scarves or beanies that matched our school uniforms. Chapel veils came in handy when we LOST our scarf or beanie. On Sundays, baby girls wore bonnets and young girls wore hats, like their mothers.

I don't like lace mantillas or veils being paraded as "traditional" by today's American trads - unless you want to return to the Middle Ages. Even in that case, don't know how many average Europeans wore "lace." In Pre-Vatican II America, they were not the typical headdress. Rather THIS was typical...
[Image: 51VH6SPRZHL._SS500_.jpg]
(09-06-2009, 02:33 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I never saw a mantilla in my life but on Jackie Kennedy and Grace Kelly - ONCE. Peasant girls from Spain and Portugal wore long veils - not the lacy ones, but the kind you see the Fatima children wearing. When American school girls went to School Mass, we had scarves or beanies that matched our school uniforms. Chapel veils came in handy when we LOST our scarf or beanie. On Sundays, baby girls wore bonnets and young girls wore hats, like their mothers.

I don't like lace mantillas or veils being paraded as "traditional" by today's American trads - unless you want to return to the Middle Ages. Even in that case, don't know how many average Europeans wore "lace." In Pre-Vatican II America, they were not the typical headdress. Rather THIS was typical...
[Image: 51VH6SPRZHL._SS500_.jpg]

Doesn't really cover their hair though.
(09-06-2009, 02:33 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I don't like lace mantillas or veils being paraded as "traditional" by today's American trads - unless you want to return to the Middle Ages. Even in that case, don't know how many average Europeans wore "lace." In Pre-Vatican II America, they were not the typical headdress. Rather THIS was typical...

The issue isn't what they are wearing, but the fact their heads are covered.

A typical lacy veil as seen in many American parishes (mostly TLM) is tradition in that the heads are covered, not that the method is historical.

It is not necessary to copy the styles of Pre-Vatican II USA. I mean, you don't see modern traditional men wearing the same cuts and materials of the same time period either.

(09-06-2009, 02:37 PM)Walty Wrote: Doesn't really cover their hair though.
Yes, and if taken as a typical parish, it means everyone is white, has 50's hair cuts.
(09-06-2009, 07:42 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(09-06-2009, 07:08 AM)timjp77 Wrote: notice none of the women are wearing chapel veils.

None. Everybody wore hats. . at least in the USA.

Nothing screams "neo trad" more than a mantilla.

It only makes sense to wear a mantilla since no one, man or woman, wears hats anymore.    They wore hats in Mass since they wore them on the street back then.
The 2 mantillas I wear are at least 60 years old - they belonged to my mother.

She used them in Cuba as well as the USA.
(09-06-2009, 02:40 PM)Rosarium Wrote: The issue isn't what they are wearing, but the fact their heads are covered.

A typical lacy veil as seen in many American parishes (mostly TLM) is tradition in that the heads are covered, not that the method is historical.

What difference does it make - if one is ogling at hair or at a lovely lacy mantilla that covers the hair? If the purpose of a headdress (outside of giving honor to God) is to detract attention, then why are mantillas the fodder of a gazillion threads around here? Not to mention the embarrassing gushing of men. Those lacy covers have become a source of vanity. They are as fussed over by trads today as hats were fussed over by women of the past.