Ugh..."Church in the Round" - ca. 1953!
Quote:And, would ya look at all them American flags in the sanctuary...

Also quite common before Vatican II. Patriotism and good citizenship went arm-in-arm with religion back then.

Just sayin..
(09-06-2009, 05:52 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
Quote:And, would ya look at all them American flags in the sanctuary...

Also quite common before Vatican II. Patriotism and good citizenship went arm-in-arm with religion back then.

Just sayin..

They were praying in that photo for the USA's military personnel in some way (it was the anniversary of Pearl Harbour) so asking for Mary's protection seems proper, if a bit nationalistic.
Well, maybe not that many [flags].. but there was always an American flag and a Vatican flag in the sanctuaries of all the American churches I've seen.
(09-06-2009, 05:56 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Well, maybe not that many [flags].. but there was always an American flag and a Vatican flag in the sanctuaries of all the American churches I've seen.

It's interesting. In Britain we absolutely never see it, but in Hungary, where I lived for a few years, you find the Hungarian and Vatican flags in almost every sanctuary (and that's just as of a year ago).

In America, then, it was more a pre-Vatican II thing? So you never see it nowadays?
(09-06-2009, 05:56 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Well, maybe not that many [flags].. but there was always an American flag and a Vatican flag in the sanctuaries of all the American churches I've seen.

All the U.S. SSPX chapels that I have been at have an American flag and Vatican flag in them as well.  It is Catholic teaching we are supposed to support our governments even if supporting them means convincing them to stop doing the wrong things.  We don't revolt like Protestants and Freemasons at the drop of a hat (or mantilla, heh).
(09-06-2009, 06:25 PM)Martinus Wrote: In America, then, it was more a pre-Vatican II thing? So you never see it nowadays?

I cannot ever recall seeing an American flag in any Novus Ordo Church, but I have from time-to-time seen the Vatican flag.  Though, I have to admit, I haven't exactly inspected for what flags are where...
My parish has the Vatican flag and a Canadian flag in the sanctuary. The church itself was built in 1959 and is a giant hyperbolic parabola. I have seen pictures of what it use to look like before it was renovated.  I much prefer the old interior, but the new one I imagine makes it easer to dust.
u see canadain flags in churches all the time up here.
(09-06-2009, 06:28 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(09-06-2009, 06:25 PM)Martinus Wrote: In America, then, it was more a pre-Vatican II thing? So you never see it nowadays?

I cannot ever recall seeing an American flag in any Novus Ordo Church, but I have from time-to-time seen the Vatican flag.  Though, I have to admit, I haven't exactly inspected for what flags are where...

I have, in my liberal NO parish school church.

Well, in the narthex.
(09-06-2009, 06:28 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:

All of the NO parishes in my archdioceses have US Flags and Vatican Flags.  Even the spaceship parishes.