Woman with 6 or more kids, need your opinion!
As a mother of four and plan on having more, I need some advice. I would like to have more children  and have a larger family. But I get a little afraid at the prospect of 6,7,8,9 kids. How do you do it? Where do you put all these children...I know most people dont live in mansions. How do you arrange bedrooms, finances, and such. I live in a normal sized home in the suburbs and cant afford a larger home.I live in NJ where living expenses is one of the highest in the nation. Plus all my kids go to catholic school. Im a stay at home mom with just my husbands income. So whats the secret to all you woman with these huge families. Please give me some tried and true tips :)
ok so, I cant say how i do it, as I am only on my fourth...But I am #7 of 13, and I can tell you, things were impossibly hard at times, but my parents did it by %100 trusting Gods will, and basically closing their eyes, praying hard and letting him lead. They never had a set plan as to how it would work, they kinda just let God lead the way. We went from a smaller house in a nasty part of teh city, to living in a 7 bedroom house on an acreage. My dad opened his own company, and worked at it at night and weekends, as well as working his day job. My mom never worked. At any rate, it worked. My dad left my mom 8 years ago, so she lost the house and stuff, but she managed to get another one, and work and support the 7 kids that were home by herself. Shes doing very well now, and still has 4 at home. She always telle me just to try and relax, and just pray and trust God, he will provide.
(09-06-2009, 10:29 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: ok so, I cant say how i do it, as I am only on my fourth...But I am #7 of 13, and I can tell you, things were impossibly hard at times, but my parents did it by %100 trusting Gods will, and basically closing their eyes, praying hard and letting him lead. They never had a set plan as to how it would work, they kinda just let God lead the way. We went from a smaller house in a nasty part of teh city, to living in a 7 bedroom house on an acreage. My dad opened his own company, and worked at it at night and weekends, as well as working his day job. My mom never worked. At any rate, it worked. My dad left my mom 8 years ago, so she lost the house and stuff, but she managed to get another one, and work and support the 7 kids that were home by herself. Shes doing very well now, and still has 4 at home. She always telle me just to try and relax, and just pray and trust God, he will provide.

Thats the problem. I know I will never leave the house Im at. My husbands a policeman in NY and will be there till he retires which isnt for awhile. So we are stuck where we are and couldnt afford a bigger house. I guess I can do the usual " convert the garage to a room" thing :)
(09-06-2009, 10:45 PM)SanctiDominici Wrote:
(09-06-2009, 10:29 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: ok so, I cant say how i do it, as I am only on my fourth...But I am #7 of 13, and I can tell you, things were impossibly hard at times, but my parents did it by %100 trusting Gods will, and basically closing their eyes, praying hard and letting him lead. They never had a set plan as to how it would work, they kinda just let God lead the way. We went from a smaller house in a nasty part of teh city, to living in a 7 bedroom house on an acreage. My dad opened his own company, and worked at it at night and weekends, as well as working his day job. My mom never worked. At any rate, it worked. My dad left my mom 8 years ago, so she lost the house and stuff, but she managed to get another one, and work and support the 7 kids that were home by herself. Shes doing very well now, and still has 4 at home. She always telle me just to try and relax, and just pray and trust God, he will provide.

Thats the problem. I know I will never leave the house Im at. My husbands a policeman in NY and will be there till he retires which isnt for awhile. So we are stuck where we are and couldnt afford a bigger house. I guess I can do the usual " convert the garage to a room" thing :)
We just bought our first house in June. Its pretty small, the cost of living in our city is extraordinary as well...Im almost thinking we will have to do the same! We live in a tight 3 bedroom house, and the rooms are small. One of the first things my 4 yr old asked me when I got pregnant this time was "Mommy....where will we put this baby?"  My husband works for the city, they have awesome benefits and stuff, but the pay isnt fabulous. I dont know what we will do either, Im just hoping and praying...
!
(09-06-2009, 11:00 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote:
(09-06-2009, 10:45 PM)SanctiDominici Wrote:

We just bought our first house in June. Its pretty small, the cost of living in our city is extraordinary as well...Im almost thinking we will have to do the same! We live in a tight 3 bedroom house, and the rooms are small. One of the first things my 4 yr old asked me when I got pregnant this time was "Mommy....where will we put this baby?"  My husband works for the city, they have awesome benefits and stuff, but the pay isnt fabulous. I dont know what we will do either, Im just hoping and praying...
!
I have a 3 bedroom house. I have one bedroom for me and my husband, then 2 children in each of the other bedrooms. The two oldest ( 14 and 9 ) share a room and the youngest ( 6 years old) had the crib moved in her room with my recent baby. Most women I talk to say the same thing over and over  " you just make do with what you have"
I think there was a thread on this elsewhere - maybe in the archives...if centered on the house size.

Well here goes - we have 9.  When we built our house, I had just had my fourth, and I don't think we were thinking "9" at that point.  We have four bedrooms.  This is on 1.5 acres in southwestern CT, so prices aren't so different from NJ, except if you're right near NYC.

We started out with us in a rather large master bedroom with a nice big walk in closet.  Now that room is occupied by four girls - two in bunk beds, one in a twin, and the other in an IKEA toddler bed which is larger than most toddler beds, so she might last in that until she is 7 or 8...
Two girls share another most of another room, but we just stuck the baby's port-a-crib in there.  The baby is almost 2, so the small toddler bed will go in there pretty soon.  The two boys have the third bedroom, plus the baby's clothes chest and changing table are in there.  It would've been nice if the last baby was a boy, because the boys' room can fit another small bed.  They are in bunks, too, by the way.

There are even bunk beds out there called "Lindy Lofts" which combine a regular bunk with a third loft bed, under which there is space for furniture.  Kind of pricey, but you might be able to find plans to build one.

We drive a Chevy Suburban with a fourth seat which we purchased from www.littleseats.com .  It was a lifesaver, as I did not want to drive a full sized van.  

I don't know if I could afford to send my kids to Catholic schools...that would be really stretching it for me.  I homeschool through high school.  College so far has been community college in the next town.  We really buy wisely when it comes to groceries - we get lots of stuff on sale and we eat a lot of ground meat and meatless meals (although certain non-meals can be expensive, too).  

Take the kids one at a time, naturally.  If someone told me before I was married that I'd have 9 kids I would've run in the other direction. Fast.

Christina
And it might be cheaper, rather than looking for a bigger house, to add on to your present house.

Christina
(09-06-2009, 11:19 PM)introibo Wrote: And it might be cheaper, rather than looking for a bigger house, to add on to your present house.

Christina
We wouldnt be able to do that....in the middle of a big city, in a tiny lot! My hope is to eventually find a way to move out to the country
(09-06-2009, 11:19 PM)introibo Wrote: And it might be cheaper, rather than looking for a bigger house, to add on to your present house.

Christina

My mother has the same house as me and had a contractor give an estimate to add on another bedroom and bathroom...$80,000!!! I could never do that!
Is it possible to make space in the basement?  Sometimes a basement reno can be worthwhile for added space/cost value.