Woman with 6 or more kids, need your opinion!
(09-06-2009, 11:26 PM)SanctiDominici Wrote:
(09-06-2009, 11:19 PM)introibo Wrote: And it might be cheaper, rather than looking for a bigger house, to add on to your present house.

Christina

My mother has the same house as me and had a contractor give an estimate to add on another bedroom and bathroom...$80,000!!! I could never do that!

yea, that what's kill in new jersey, isn't the labor or material, but you have all kinds of restrictions set by the town.  Like in my old hometown, it would have cost over 10,000 to get just the permits to expand on the property you already own, then once you build it your property taxes goes like crazy.

Hey, just hope Blomberg doesn't cut public pensions for the NYPD, so your hubby can retire in his 40's and then move some place reasonable to live like Texas, by then hopefully housing market will be up again, you'll sell for a profit, give you some breathing space, etc.

Now I may be a man, but I come from a family with lots of siblings, and it is tough.  I think the key is reducing your cost, and I think there are some good incentives out there to say "green" your house by the state and fed (switching appliances, lights, etc).  And if you have a yard grow a victory garden.    Buy wholesale meats and your staples (like rice).  I live by myself on a very limited income, and I have pretty much I have to calculate the cost of my meals per day when I go to the store.  Also, introduce lesser known, but cheaper and healthier foods like lentils into the diets.  Which may be bland by themselves, but are very flexible in dishes.  
I like lentils~
As for schooling, my oldest is starting her first year at our SSPX school....its mad expensive, but they have funding and help if you cant afford it, I imagine most of the schools do, dont they?
Well, I only have five. But I'm in New Jersey, too--Northern Jersey. Where are you?

We did the same thing as introibo's family though; we put three girls in the "master bed room".  It could actually hold a fourth girl, though. Dressers included. We keep their desks and books in the family room. Toys go in the playroom. In a pinch we could turn our small Den into another bedroom.

Our kids will most likely go to community college as well.

I cook most everything from scratch. A lot of soups and breads....

I buy bulk at Costco: rice, beans, meats, eggs... I buy a dozen gallons of milk and freeze it, it's much cheaper there. That will usually last me two weeks.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
I didn't know you could freeze gallons of milk!  I've been trying to figure out if I can hide a cow in our garage.

Speaking of freezers, if you know you have a cheaper source of meat or whatever, it might be worthwhile to invest in a freezer, and have the thing constantly full.  It does take lots of electricity.  I kind of wish I had one, 'cause there are times when there are drastic reductions on meat (stuff that's about to expire, etc) and I bring lots home only to find that my relatively small freezer is packed with junk.  Also, if you have a big garden, you can blanch and freeze beans, tomatoes, etc.

Where are you New Jerseyites from? I grew up in Parsippany.

Christina
Well to answer some of your questions:
Im from Northern Jersey but live at the shore
I dont have a basement unfortunately.
My husbands a Port Authority cop in New York so luckily he makes a good income and excellent pension and benefits which is the reason why at our kids catholic school weve been turned down for assistance ( income to high)
I buy from costco for food but dont have a freezer.
Jersey is just too damn expensive. My electric bill this summer just from running central air and a pool filter was $500 for one month!!
Relocation isnt an option, building on isnt an option so im just going to have to stuff beds everywhere I guess ;D

oh yeah, lentils are not an option :laughing:
Another option to consider: since your husband's police, HUD has a program where they'll sell their houses to cops or teachers for 50% off. A couple I know just bought a house super cheap this way.
thankfully most of us are not octomom and are kids come one (and once in a while two) at a time, allowing you to make adjustments as needed.

we have 8. 2900 square foot house on a little more than an acre.

3 boys in upstairs master, 3 girls in other room, oldest dd has own room. baby is in office/study/master retreat downstairs attached to our room

3 full baths and a half bath.
i homeschool, dh works 60+ hours a week. salaried.

we could never afford to send them to Catholic school. the one orthodox Catholic school in our area would run us $16,000/year in tuition alone, not counting the gas for two 100 mile round trips every day.

i have people (with smaller families) asking all the time 'how i do it', really i have no magic answer. this is the family god has sent me, we make it work
(09-07-2009, 08:52 AM)introibo Wrote: Speaking of freezers, if you know you have a cheaper source of meat or whatever, it might be worthwhile to invest in a freezer, and have the thing constantly full.  It does take lots of electricity.  I kind of wish I had one, 'cause there are times when there are drastic reductions on meat (stuff that's about to expire, etc) and I bring lots home only to find that my relatively small freezer is packed with junk.  Also, if you have a big garden, you can blanch and freeze beans, tomatoes, etc.

Where are you New Jerseyites from? I grew up in Parsippany.

Christina

i didn't know you grew up in parsippany! i grew up (at least through 7th grade) in mtn lakes!
i had an idyllic childhood but you couldn'y pay me to move back to NJ. i need xanax just to get through a visit anymore.
(09-07-2009, 08:06 AM)gloriamaria Wrote: I didn't know you could freeze gallons of milk!  I've been trying to figure out if I can hide a cow in our garage.

There's also powdered milk.  I keep it around for emergencies.