Woman with 6 or more kids, need your opinion!
(09-07-2009, 04:00 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(09-07-2009, 08:06 AM)gloriamaria Wrote: I didn't know you could freeze gallons of milk!  I've been trying to figure out if I can hide a cow in our garage.

There's also powdered milk.  I keep it around for emergencies.

Powdered milk is good to use in all your baking that calls for milk, by the way. You can save money and just buy regular milk for drinking, since powdered milk definitely doesn't taste as good as the other stuff.
(09-07-2009, 02:51 PM)mom Wrote: thankfully most of us are not octomom and are kids come one (and once in a while two) at a time, allowing you to make adjustments as needed.

we have 8. 2900 square foot house on a little more than an acre.

3 boys in upstairs master, 3 girls in other room, oldest dd has own room. baby is in office/study/master retreat downstairs attached to our room

3 full baths and a half bath.
i homeschool, dh works 60+ hours a week. salaried.

we could never afford to send them to Catholic school. the one orthodox Catholic school in our area would run us $16,000/year in tuition alone, not counting the gas for two 100 mile round trips every day.

i have people (with smaller families) asking all the time 'how i do it', really i have no magic answer. this is the family god has sent me, we make it work

You have a bigger house than me. I have 3 bedrooms, 1 and 1/2 bath. Plus two of those rooms are already taken up by 4 children. Anybody ever convert a room or garage in their house? Is it expensive? I have a family room and a garge that I guess can be converted but I dont know what it costs
(09-07-2009, 04:32 PM)SanctiDominici Wrote:
(09-07-2009, 02:51 PM)mom Wrote: thankfully most of us are not octomom and are kids come one (and once in a while two) at a time, allowing you to make adjustments as needed.

3 boys in upstairs master, 3 girls in other room, oldest dd has own room. baby is in office/study/master retreat downstairs attached to our room

i homeschool, dh works 60+ hours a week. salaried.

we could never afford to send them to Catholic school. the one orthodox Catholic school in our area would run us $16,000/year in tuition alone, not counting the gas for two 100 mile round trips every day.

i have people (with smaller families) asking all the time 'how i do it', really i have no magic answer. this is the family god has sent me, we make it work

You have a bigger house than me. I have 3 bedrooms, 1 and 1/2 bath. Plus two of those rooms are already taken up by 4 children. Anybody ever convert a room or garage in their house? Is it expensive? I have a family room and a garge that I guess can be converted but I dont know what it costs

well, how big is the garage and what ridiculous regulations does you town have on the subject.  Like if your garage already have heating in it, then it is much easier, but bringing in heating ducts and insulation could be costly.

Our house is 2100 square feet - what I'd give for 800 more square feet (although some of your extra footage seems to be in bathrooms, which wouldn't be so bad either...)

Christina
2100 sq. feet? lol thats friggin huge compared to mine! I have a tight 1100 sq. foot, 2 story...so the floors are TIGHT
We have 6 children.3 bedrooms,2 toilets,1 bath & shower.We have our bedroom and the two year old in a cot(she never uses-she sleeps in our bed as does our 5 year old.I have to move beds and use the setee sometimes as all come to me at night so my wife who works can sleep.She teaches in a Catholic school.In the UK we used to homeschool 5 of them.Living in Germany 4 go to school and two go  to kindergarten.We have one bedroom with the two oldest girls aged 12 & 10.The other bedroom has two boys aged 9 & 5 and one girl aged 7.We have two bunk beds.We have always had one parent at home and trust in God to help us.In the UK we owned our own home via mortgage.Now we rent and have seen our bank balence reduce over the past 3 years.But God has always been with us and when things get really tough He has always been there to help us through the difficulties.We have never earned a very high salery,but find that daily Mass when possible and family prayer are the most important things that help us to survive the trails and tribulations that come our way.We have 3 elderly neighbours trying to evict us at the moment to add to our worries.We can only pray for them and trust in Our Lord & Saviour to guide us and show us the way forward.Our 5th child aged 5 made his 1st Holy Communion yesterday.Its been a family tradition which God has decided for our family.3  have been given Holy Communion early by mistake.But what shall we say  to them?That they received the Body,Blood,Soul & Divinity of Christ or lie and say they received just bread.Thank God all have realised that they have received Jesus.Its at times like this that you just know God loves us and will always be with us through all the trails of this life.We pray daily that we as a family will stay true to Himhttp://stmangbasilicafuessen.bravehost.c...ept09.html
(09-07-2009, 08:06 AM)gloriamaria Wrote: I didn't know you could freeze gallons of milk!  I've been trying to figure out if I can hide a cow in our garage.
But Costco-wise, the milk is just as good as fresh after 24 hours of defrosting in the sink and a good ol' shake.

Powdered milk is really good for smoothies and yer milkshakes. But straight up? Blah! Gag me with a spoon!

rosenthalenglish, welcome!!!!  :)
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(09-07-2009, 06:09 PM)rosenthalenglish Wrote: We have 6 children.3 bedrooms,2 toilets,1 bath & shower.We have our bedroom and the two year old in a cot(she never uses-she sleeps in our bed as does our 5 year old.I have to move beds and use the setee sometimes as all come to me at night so my wife who works can sleep.She teaches in a Catholic school.In the UK we used to homeschool 5 of them.Living in Germany 4 go to school and two go  to kindergarten.We have one bedroom with the two oldest girls aged 12 & 10.The other bedroom has two boys aged 9 & 5 and one girl aged 7.We have two bunk beds.We have always had one parent at home and trust in God to help us.In the UK we owned our own home via mortgage.Now we rent and have seen our bank balence reduce over the past 3 years.But God has always been with us and when things get really tough He has always been there to help us through the difficulties.We have never earned a very high salery,but find that daily Mass when possible and family prayer are the most important things that help us to survive the trails and tribulations that come our way.We have 3 elderly neighbours trying to evict us at the moment to add to our worries.We can only pray for them and trust in Our Lord & Saviour to guide us and show us the way forward.Our 5th child aged 5 made his 1st Holy Communion yesterday.Its been a family tradition which God has decided for our family.3  have been given Holy Communion early by mistake.But what shall we say  to them?That they received the Body,Blood,Soul & Divinity of Christ or lie and say they received just bread.Thank God all have realised that they have received Jesus.Its at times like this that you just know God loves us and will always be with us through all the trails of this life.We pray daily that we as a family will stay true to Himhttp://stmangbasilicafuessen.bravehost.c...ept09.html

You have 2 kids sleeping with you? I dont go for that. I need my privacy ;D
(09-07-2009, 04:03 PM)Satori Wrote:
(09-07-2009, 04:00 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:

There's also powdered milk.  I keep it around for emergencies.

Powdered milk is good to use in all your baking that calls for milk, by the way. You can save money and just buy regular milk for drinking, since powdered milk definitely doesn't taste as good as the other stuff.
I'm going to butt in on this thread (I have no kiddies, so can't help on that)- I'll third the dry milk.  Works well in baking and in a pinch on cereal. 

I've heard you can freeze eggs by beating them a bit and putting in an ice cube tray - anyone tried this?
we are very fortunate. we moved from a very expensive part of the country to a fairly inexpensive part of the country and were able to upgrade our living accomodations significantly. i would love one more bedroom. it would be a much more peaceful life if we could separate my big boys. there are some "issues'.