Found a Watchtower in the front door today
(09-08-2009, 11:25 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: Obviously the Witnesses are patrolling the neighborhood of the WRC Estate.  It's only a matter of time before we meet.

What do I need to know?  Please fill me in.

What you do depends upon how much time you've got.  In my neighborhood they tend to show up on Sunday afternoons when it's family time.  If you are willing to have The Discussion, then by all means please do so.  Don't let them run through their dog and pony show, but ask them specific questions.  Don't let them switch from topic to topic. If you keep them focused on one thing you might get a little cognitive dissonance going. 

On the other hand, if you don't have much time and want them to go away, then you can say, "Watchtower?  I prefer the Hendrix version," and go on about your business.
Not unless you grew up in the little slice between east lakeview and uptown in Chicago fifty or so years ago. Today it is all posh greystones converted to single family residences of financial fakirs.
tim
Don't engage in any discussion with them.

Simply say....."Hi, we're just about to pray the Rosary. Why don't you join us".

Watch your doorstep clear in about half a second.
(09-09-2009, 10:43 AM)timoose Wrote: Oh! to return to the days of yesteryear, when fathers answered the door in their boxer shorts and wife beater t-shirts, with four children rough housing, and two wailing for a bottle, while mom's preggers again, and missionaries were immediately terrified. Nothing said Catholic as no air-conditioning, screaming parents, wild children, pregnant moms, and all of them wearing miraculous medals. Protestants and others of good will would try to be charitable but could not endure. They couldn't understand why they were craftsman, and had not gone to colleges, nor gotten a B.S. and a career as a desk jockey, or why they insisted on compounding their problems by having sooo many children. And their son tommie would never be allowed near our son, not after he told our little tristan "he was going to go to hell." It was all such a shame, because they cleaned up very nicely on Sunday when they all went to that Catholic Church, and their father even wore a suit and a fedora as if he were a proper wasp. Bad breeding 's all, and it's such a shame.
tim

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
(09-09-2009, 11:58 AM)selous Wrote: Don't engage in any discussion with them.

Simply say....."Hi, we're just about to pray the Rosary. Why don't you join us".

Watch your doorstep clear in about half a second.
Ooh, how about loading Holy Water in a mister above the door?
(09-08-2009, 11:25 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: Obviously the Witnesses are patrolling the neighborhood of the WRC Estate.  It's only a matter of time before we meet.

Crank up the chant music and hand them each a rosary. Say, "Sure c'mon in!"

[Image: 226jehovahXX_door.jpg]
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(09-09-2009, 10:43 AM)timoose Wrote: Oh! to return to the days of yesteryear, when fathers answered the door in their boxer shorts and wife beater t-shirts, with four children rough housing, and two wailing for a bottle, while mom's preggers again, and missionaries were immediately terrified. Nothing said Catholic as no air-conditioning, screaming parents, wild children, pregnant moms, and all of them wearing miraculous medals. Protestants and others of good will would try to be charitable but could not endure. They couldn't understand why they were craftsman, and had not gone to colleges, nor gotten a B.S. and a career as a desk jockey, or why they insisted on compounding their problems by having sooo many children. And their son tommie would never be allowed near our son, not after he told our little tristan "he was going to go to hell." It was all such a shame, because they cleaned up very nicely on Sunday when they all went to that Catholic Church, and their father even wore a suit and a fedora as if he were a proper wasp. Bad breeding 's all, and it's such a shame.
tim

tmoose I want to live there!
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Stick to one issue, and don't let them jump around. I haven't spoken to them, because my father-in-law (God rest his soul), answered the door last time they came and was so rude to them, they'll prolly never come back here.

Jesus is God. This is a one real goody, because there are so many passages in the bible which attest to Christ's deity. Here's a few verses. If you'd like more verses, I'll put more up here when I've got more time.  :)

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him: and without him was made nothing that was made. 4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 This man came for a witness, to give testimony of the light, that all men might believe through him. 8 He was not the light, but was to give testimony of the light. 9 That was the true light, which enlighteneth every man that cometh into this world. 10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

Philippians 2:6 Who being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men, and in habit found as a man.

Apocalyspe 5: 8 And when he had opened the book, the four living creatures, and the four and twenty ancients fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints: 9 And they sung a new canticle, saying: Thou art worthy, O Lord, [they are worshipping Chrit here] to take the book, and to open the seals thereof; because thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God, in thy blood, out of every tribe, and tongue, and people, and nation.

WRC, you might want to swing by your library and pick up a copy of Walter Martin's classic reference Kingdom of the Cults (revised and in print since the 60's) and read over the section on the Jehovah's Witnesses (100 pgs, fairly thorough); the work even has a chapter on witnessing from your doorstep. The evangelicals have placed this book on the shelf of nearly every library in America, why not get some use out of it, eh?
(09-09-2009, 06:18 PM)Marc Wrote: WRC, you might want to swing by your library and pick up a copy of Walter Martin's classic reference Kingdom of the Cults (revised and in print since the 60's) and read over the section on the Jehovah's Witnesses (100 pgs, fairly thorough); the work even has a chapter on witnessing from your doorstep. The evangelicals have placed this book on the shelf of nearly every library in America, why not get some use out of it, eh?

I found this online: http://www.waltermartin.com/cults.html