Daughter Pregnant - Should she get H1N1 shot?
Pregnant women rarely die of seasonal flu.  A huge percentage of the H1N1 deaths so far in the US and around the world have been pregnant women.
For example, there have been so far 17 deaths in the Dominican Republic, and 11 were pregnant.

http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/index.php
(09-15-2009, 02:34 PM)ErinIsNice Wrote: Pregnant women rarely die of seasonal flu.  A huge percentage of the H1N1 deaths so far in the US and around the world have been pregnant women.
For example, there have been so far 17 deaths in the Dominican Republic, and 11 were pregnant.

That may be true, but would a vaccine while pregnant help? Would its risk be worse than the H1N1 risk? What are the dangers of the vaccine? What are the dangers of it to the unborn?

This is why it should be up to a doctor ;)

And further...what were the underlying problems these women had beforehand...Were they CF and preg...I mean come on...sounds like crap...part of the big govt fear mongering.  The ONLY piggy flu victims I have seen in my ICU are immunocompromised

And the Dominica Repub?...not a good source for stats...imho
(09-15-2009, 03:31 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: And the Dominica Repub?...not a good source for stats...imho
I agree. If we go by the initial reports from Mexico, H1N1 is a death sentence for any person, yet in the USA babies, children and adults get it and recover in days.
(09-14-2009, 06:55 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I would get several professional opinions.

Prayers for your daughter..and congratulations!

verenaerin Wrote:When you cover up your ears from all the commercials and warnings and scary stories what does your gut say? How many times as a mother have you realized something wasn't right with your child when you were told otherwise, or visa versa.If your gut says no then go with that. God gave us that intuition for a reason.

I think StrictCatholicGirl and verenaerin are spot on.

In 1975 when another "swine flu" was threatening, I was expecting my first child.  No one knew what effect the vaccine would have on the newborn.  After having seen pictures of "thalydamide babies"  (Most of you are too young to remember, but StrictCatholicGirl certainly knows what I am talking about.)  I was wary of injecting/ingesting anything that may hurt my baby.  So I went with my gut, and did not have the injection.  Turns out there was no outbreak that year after all.

Fast forward 18 years and I'm pregnant with baby #4.  I had pneumonia in my last trimester.  That was definitely no fun.  I coughed so hard that I had to place a pillow over my belly.  I always was worried that the coughing would dislodge the placenta.  Sure enough I went into labor 19 days before my  due date.  Baby"s heartbeat was lost shortly before delivery.  Ended up pushing baby's head, body and placenta out all in one push.  By the grace of God he turned out okay--little over 5 pounds then--big bruiser now.  Thank God he is of a heard-headed temperament.  I think that's why he survived.

So bottom line, it's up to the parents after getting a number of professional opinions.

***And ResiduumRevertetur--Baby #4's middle name is Gerard--I did quite a bit of praying for his intercession during that pregnancy!***
(09-15-2009, 02:34 PM)ErinIsNice Wrote: Pregnant women rarely die of seasonal flu.  A huge percentage of the H1N1 deaths so far in the US and around the world have been pregnant women.

More info from FluTrackers (bolded section in original):

"An excess of influenza-associated deaths among pregnant women were reported during the pandemics of 1918–1919 and 1957–1958. Adverse pregnancy outcomes have been reported following previous influenza pandemics, with increased rates of spontaneous abortion and preterm birth reported, especially among women with pneumonia. Case reports and several epidemiologic studies conducted during interpandemic periods also indicate that pregnancy increases the risk for influenza complications for the mother and might increase the risk for adverse perinatal outcomes or delivery complications."

"Clinical presentation
Pregnant women with novel influenza A (H1N1) virus infection would be expected to present with typical acute respiratory influenza-like illness (e.g., cough, sore throat, rhinorrhea) and fever. Other symptoms can include body aches, headache, fatigue, vomiting and diarrhea. Many pregnant women will go on to have a typical course of uncomplicated influenza. However, for some pregnant women, illness might progress rapidly, and might be complicated by secondary bacterial infections including pneumonia. Fetal distress associated with severe maternal illness can occur. Case reports of adverse pregnancy outcomes and maternal deaths have been associated with severe illness. Ideally, pregnant women who have suspected novel influenza A (H1N1) virus infection should be tested for influenza. However, treatment should not be delayed pending results of testing and treatment should not be withheld in the absence of testing. This is because antiviral treatment is most effective when started as early as possible after the onset of symptoms (i.e. within the first 2 days). Testing is not available in many instances and, when available, results of novel H1N1 testing often take several days. Clinicians should be aware of circulation of H1N1 in their area and not wait for test results to initiate influenza treatment in women who have symptoms consistent with influenza illness."

Everyone, pregnant or not, has to decide for herself or himself whether or not to be vaccinated for H1N1, just as for seasonal flu.  Your physician can only advise you.   

The H1N1 flu, in fatal cases, is associated with multiple organ failure and it's not killing the people who usually die with seasonal flu -- those over 65 and those under 5.  It's killing people between 5 and 65, many of them in good health prior to getting the H1N1 flu.  This is what the "Spanish" flu did back in 1918.

That's part of the concern about H1N1; when people over 65 die, people don't see it as tragic, but when people in their teens, twenties, and thirties die, they do.  It's especially tragic if they're pregnant women dying, because it's two people who shouldn't be dying at their age. 

I know I will get a seasonal flu shot and, if my doctor recommends it, an H1N1 shot.  I had the swine flu shot in 1975 with no ill effects; I've never had ill effects from a flu shot and neither has my husband.  Of course this could be our unlucky year and YMMV.  I suggest a lot of prayer whether you get a shot or not.

I'll also get a pneumonia shot if I'm due for one this year.  My husband will get the same shots.  We have had true influenza twice since we married and after the second time, we said "Never again!" and started getting a flu shot every year.  I don't know what I'd do if I were pregnant and my sympathies are with all who have to make that decision.

IF we have a pandemic, the H1N1 virus will come back stronger this fall and winter and infect far more people than it has so far.  This was the pattern with the "Spanish" flu of 1918 -- relatively mild in spring and summer, coming back hard in the fall.  Will it happen again?  Nobody knows. 

Whether you get the shot or not, consider reading up on preparation to live through a pandemic that shuts down stores and perhaps most of our infrastructure.  Waiting to see if there will be a pandemic is like waiting to see if a hurricane will hit where you live, you can try to get ready for the worst case scenario while you wait. 

As a Girl Scout, I learned "Be Prepared."  You wouldn't believe what I have in my purse.  :laughing:

(09-14-2009, 06:34 PM)cathkath Wrote: Precious daughter is newly pregnant (six weeks)--first grandbaby. She is tiny, has thyroid issues, and has never had the flu. Neither have I, for that matter. I don't trust our beloved government and their health proclamations any farther than I can throw their sorry bottoms. The new guidelines suggest that because she is pregnant she ought to be first in line for the new flu vaccine. What to do? My late father was an MD. He died in 1988. He always told me that flu shots were worthless for most people. I've never taken one, and I don't get the flu. But it is no longer 1988. Is his advice still valid?

My daughter and her husband have asked me what I think. I'm a school teacher, and I don't think I'll get the vaccine. Neither will my husband, but he doesn't work around children, so it's less of an issue for him, presumably. I don't want my daughter to end up with Guillian-Barre syndrome--or something worse. Nor, obviously, do I want the baby to be born with any medical problems. What do y'all think? Any informed opinions?

Thanks for your enlightened insights!  :)

My concern would be that she never had the regular flu. So she would get a hyper sensitive reaction to H1N1 if she caught it, making it worse for her. Also statistically its pregnant woman who are having the most difficult time with this flu and it has caused death. Im afraid of getting it myself but its all over the news how dangerous it would be for a pregnant woman to catch this flu
(09-15-2009, 06:57 PM)verenaerin Wrote:   With my first baby I actually went against my gut. I got the flu shot. I just felt so pressured. Anyway, I paid for it. Two months later I got the flu. I was terribly sick, but the baby was ok. The next year I was pregnant with my son and I declined the flu shot. I never got the flu. In the past 8-9 years I have gotten the flu shot twice and ended up with the flu. So I have learned my lesson.

As far as your daughter is concerned. You know what the docs are probably going to say. So why don't you ask the Blessed Mother. Explain that you a simple mother trying to give the best advice for her daughter. Ask her for a really obvious sign if she is meant to get the vaccine. I do that a lot. Sometimes it is just impossible to figure out the gray. So dump it at the Blessed Mother's feet and let her take care of it. I hope that by doing that it will give you some peace. Responsibility can be a heavy thing, and even heavier if you try to carry it all on your own. Congrats to your daughter and you being a grandmother!! :)

Great idea! I will ask Our Lady.  Thank you! :)
Well you can pray and ask questions like that....or you can pray about real things...

If you want a chance to end up dying in my ICU...by all means run out and get that shot....I've seen it...DIC, is ugly.....bleed to death from any hole and have your systems shut down one at a time....get vented, get CVVHD...code and get broken ribs, get shocked...and then die anyway.in a bloody pool in an ICU bed with a bunch of interns and RNs standing around swearing they're not getting that shot!

What she said, of the H1N1 deaths, a disproportionate number have been pregnant woman. I think more than 1 in 20 of the deaths. Of those that don't die, they also tend to have much more severe bouts of H1N1.