Picking up a pipe.
(09-17-2009, 07:29 AM)matthew_talbot Wrote:
(09-16-2009, 11:06 AM)SoCalLocal Wrote: I'm sorta partial to Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe.

But if you're going to be picking up this instrument of masculinity. 

An instrument of masculinity? No..An instrument of affectatiousness?...maybe...

Some men like pipes, and speaking from a non-smoker's point of view, pipes are better than cigarettes any day.

You wanna talk affectation, look at all the little boys smoking cigars ... now that's affectation!
Thank you all for the suggestions. Deep Hollow sounds the most interesting but I believe I can get a hold of Dunhill if I try. I know a few people that may help me out in that.
Personally, I'm partial to the dark (almost black) leaves... but as for the Walgreens varieties, there is one that is a good go-to when you can't get to your favorite tobaccanist, and that's Captain Black Royal.  It's a good tobacco, very mild and mallowey, but plenty of flavor.  Not as good as what you can get at a good smokeshop, but it'll do in a pinch.
(09-19-2009, 10:14 PM)Elwin Ransom Wrote: Personally, I'm partial to the dark (almost black) leaves... but as for the Walgreens varieties, there is one that is a good go-to when you can't get to your favorite tobaccanist, and that's Captain Black Royal.  It's a good tobacco, very mild and mallowey, but plenty of flavor.  Not as good as what you can get at a good smokeshop, but it'll do in a pinch.

Cpt Black Royal is very tasty almost as good as what you would find at a tobbacanist's.

I have smoked a Pipe for three years come this november and I would recommend starting out with a aromatic tobacco a great one is Autumn evening and Celtic Talisman. Boswell.com sells by favorite called Dutch Treat they also sell Pipes. I would also agree not to start with a Churchwarden. The smoking expierience is a little different than with a regular strait or bent Pipe. I started with a corncob then moved to cheap bent Pipes(kinda shaped like Sherlock Holmes's pipe) and strait pipes then more expensive ones. I bought my first Churchwarden this April and it smokes like a dream but they arent quite starter pipes.
(09-19-2009, 11:02 PM)Baskerville Wrote: I have smoked a Pipe for three years come this november and I would recommend starting out with a aromatic tobacco a great one is Autumn evening and Celtic Talisman. Boswell.com sells by favorite called Dutch Treat they also sell Pipes. I would also agree not to start with a Churchwarden. The smoking expierience is a little different than with a regular strait or bent Pipe. I started with a corncob then moved to cheap bent Pipes(kinda shaped like Sherlock Holmes's pipe) and strait pipes then more expensive ones. I bought my first Churchwarden this April and it smokes like a dream but they arent quite starter pipes.

Celtic Talisman is terrific. But smoke it fast, or jar half of it because when it dries out...Ew!
(09-20-2009, 10:10 PM)anthony Wrote:
(09-19-2009, 11:02 PM)Baskerville Wrote: I have smoked a Pipe for three years come this november and I would recommend starting out with a aromatic tobacco a great one is Autumn evening and Celtic Talisman. Boswell.com sells by favorite called Dutch Treat they also sell Pipes. I would also agree not to start with a Churchwarden. The smoking expierience is a little different than with a regular strait or bent Pipe. I started with a corncob then moved to cheap bent Pipes(kinda shaped like Sherlock Holmes's pipe) and strait pipes then more expensive ones. I bought my first Churchwarden this April and it smokes like a dream but they arent quite starter pipes.

Celtic Talisman is terrific. But smoke it fast, or jar half of it because when it dries out...Ew!

Amen to that! The first can I bought i just loved it but it dried out on me and oh man it gets fowl. Now I smoke it up fast or like you said jar it.
I haven't started with a churchwarden but I hope to invest in one. For now I've started with Black Cavendish and am liking it. Thank you all for the recommendation. I will definetly keep them in mind.
Dear All,

Just wanted to mention that there is a fine "pipe smoking discussion" going on over on this thread :)

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...icseen#new

Please feel free to drop in, contribute your pipe story and ask questions. A great place to exchange resources and experience among gentlemen who are serious about their faith and enjoy a pipe once in a while also.

Or those who might want to start enjoying a pipe.  :)

Beginners, Newbies and "I want to give it a try Guys" especially  welcome  :)
(09-16-2009, 11:33 PM)SoCalLocal Wrote: While technically a woman could smoke a pipe, very very few do.
\

Actually, you'd be surprised. I used to be a tobacconist and I was surprised at the number of women who bought pipes and tobacco for themselves. The key is that they would never smoke a pipe in public! :laughing: