Brian -22- Greensburg, PA
[Image: 1694032479_09222009_1.jpg]
Name:  Brian Padraig O'Dougherty
Sex: Male
Age as of posting date: 22
Birthdate: 16-07-1987 (Our Lady of Mt. Carmel)
Patron Saint by Confirmation: St. Aloysius Gonzaga
Number of children: None
Would you relocate if you met the right person? maybe, depends where; I'd like to either stay in the Pittsburgh area or move to Ireland
EF, SSPX, both, or other?  Extraordinary Form, though I wouldn't exactly cringe at the possibility of an SSPX mass and might be open to such a thing, but I would cringe at the "other"
Novus Ordo if that's all there is?  That's never all there is... I can always sell my kidneys for gas money if worse comes to worse.
Introvert or extrovert? Introvert with bursts of extrovertness
Keirsey personality type: IDK (I Don't Know, in case that abbreviation actually means something)
Ethnic heritage:  Irish
Is meeting someone of like ethnicity very important to you, just a bonus, or unimportant?  A bonus but not necessary
Is there an ideal age range for the person you'd like to marry? How important is this? 18 (minimum in US canon law)-25ish? depends on who I meet, the age range is flexible...
In what manner do you interpret the Church's approval of NFP?  I will negotiate with it/use it if she wishes to and has good reasons so long as the ideal that we're always hoping for is to be able not to have to use it one day
What would the headship of the husband look like in your ideal home? I view the headship of the husband as analogous to how the man leads in a dance--the man must lead according to where the woman can/would follow, if he tries to lead in a direction that the woman would not follow, he has totally messed up the dance, stepped over her toes or knocked her down, and is wrong for that.  He must lead in harmony with where the woman will follow; in her turn, the woman trusts him in the dance to lead correctly
How do you feel about women working outside the home?  I prefer the ideal to be, as Chesterton said, a woman free from the lowly requirements of a job; however, I would encourage her seeking her fulfillment through a career which was worthy of her and would be more than willing to negotiate ways in which the children could be raised with her taking some time in that regard; however, homeschooling is a must for me (though I'd like a group of homeschooling parents that collaborate and pull their expertise to achieve the best of both worlds in terms of institutional school with socialization and homeschooling with parental rights)
How do you feel about women in pants?  no problem, but I don't want someone who absolutely refuses to wear dresses/skirts ever; and either way some consideration of modesty for the sake of my own chastity must be considered... pants are rarely if ever immodest in my mind but really short shorts or really short dresses/skirts might push it for me
Of the seven deadly sins (pride, greed, gluttony, sloth, lust, anger, envy), which is the most challenging for you?  sloth... but also lust in the normal male ways, to be honest; though I have never had a big problem lusting after someone I truly loved, because my love tends to conquer any lesser emotions, lust is a sort of creepy little abstract demon in the back of my mind (or libido) in the realm of imagination only
What would others say are your annoying habits or bothersome attributes?  Some people don't like me smoking a pipe occasionally; some say I can get too reclusive/contemplative/introspective, still others might say I talk too much and am annoying... sometimes I'm a bit of an unreadable paradox
What are the most important things you desire in a spouse? as the Claddagh symbolizes: friendship, loyalty, and love... but that's too abstract an answer now isn't it?  I want someone who is intellectually stimulating, interesting, fun and adventurous, deeply rooted in their faith but well rounded in the types of topics she talks about, challenging but not contentious for the sake of being contentious... I'd like someone who'd like to learn the Irish language with me, but that's not essential... in general, someone I can talk to, who I can trust with my loyalty...
Things you absolutely would not tolerate in a potential spouse: moral laxity that she's not contrite about, too much indecisiveness, uncertainty that they hold a vocation to marriage, disloyalty
What, if anything, have you learned from past relationships with the opposite sex? a lot.  seriously.  haha, I don't know where to begin with that, but I have learned a lot.  It's a fine line between codependently addictive behavior and sweet romantic behavior, and I've learned not to overlook the sweet romantic behavior in trying to avoid the codependent addictive behavior... I've learned a lot of empathy, a lot of sympathy, (all without becoming effeminate by any means, I assure you, I have a calm, cool, logically masculine mind and do not lose control of my emotions), and a lot about how relationships need to progress... like a sailboat they're either going forward or not at all and you can't exactly pause them without ruining them... how there's a time and a place for everything and you can't put off marriage too long (but obviously can't rush into it too fast) because there is a certain point in the progression of a relationship that you are going to need the sacramental grace and you cannot hit that point before marriage or it will all crumble... but anyway, I suppose I'm rambling, suffice it to say I've gained a lot of wisdom through my previous relationships; and they've always ended on good friendly terms, because I'd never be a jerk and I'll always treat well anyone I've ever been in love with.
Political ideals:  Distributivist with libertarian leanings... umm... yeah, it's possible.  I swear.
Education: 99 credits towards a degree in Anthropology from St. Vincent College, Latrobe, PA (25 to go, when finances are in order)
Employment:  Student, waiter at Eat'n'Park while working on saving up to go back to school
Health:  always been in fine health
Allergies:  no
Smoke?  I smoke a pipe occasionally
Drink?  when the occasion presents itself; I can hold my liquor, I love my whiskey, and I love a good Guiness in Ireland or a Yuengling Black and Tan here
Night owl or morning lark?   I always said "Hoot with the night owls, fly with the eagles"... I try to do both
How messy or disorganized are you? I can get quite cluttered but am working on it and currently have been keeping everything quite clean for quite a while now
What makes you laugh?  Chesterton can be quite funny at times; I can have the guilty pleasures of the dumb/stupid/popular humor of our age
What are the little things that please or delight you?  the stars, the rain, warm covers in a cold room, a warm fireplace, a good bonfire, celebrating traditional feasts with parties/bonfires, just being calm and quiet and at peace, the small reminders from God of the greatness of creation in any little thing, genuine smiles...
What would you like to be doing in 10 years ideally? If you continue on your present course and don't meet the person of your dreams, what do you think you actually will be doing given your gifts and goals? I'd love to be married with at least one kid by then... anyway, I hope to advance in academia towards professorship in anthropology, a science I believe can be as all-encompassing as philosophy ever was and have personally seen from an orthodox Benedictine professor that it need not be secularistic.  Barring that, or in addition to it, I have always had the desire to gather together a like-minded group of people to construct a very small Catholic neighborhood/village with homes and businesses which can be fully privately owned by the members of the community, including a school which would incorporate the best of homeschooling and institutional schooling by pooling together homeschooling parents' resources to supplement homeschooling... a sort of homeschooling co-op... anyway, that's just pipe dreams (I literally dream of it while smoking my pipe)... not to say I won't actively pursue them though... anyway, my down to earth goals would consist more in being a professor of Anthropology at a Catholic College or University and owning a house which could be a safe refuge from the drudgery of the world... Chesterton's concept of "The Free Family" in What's Wrong with the World is sort of like my manifesto, except I don't mind negotiating with a certain degree of career pursuit in a wife and certainly she can vote, haha, he was a little off on that even if he had an interesting overall reasoning.
Intellectual interests: I am currently working on learning the Irish Language (Gaeilge), and brushing up on my French and Spanish.  I am a student of Anthropology and love anthropological query; as well as philosophical query; I dabble in a bit of every subject as I am able from high end cosmological astro-physics to math to English literature to psychology to philosophy to anthropology...
Hobbies:   Playing piano (Classical Sonatas--my favorites), reading, prayer, just contemplating things, music, internet
Talents: Piano, Didgeridoo, French, Spanish, Some Irish
Top 5 favorite books of all time: The Man who was Thursday, The Ball and the Cross, What's Wrong with the World, The Everlasting Man, St. Francis of Assisi (All by Chesterton, sorry, I love the man's writing)
The last 5 books you read (don't lie!). Are these books typical of you?: The Coloured Lands (G.K. Chesterton), What's Wrong with the World (G.K. Chesterton), The Man Who was Thursday (G.K. Chesterton), The Science of Mental Health (Fr. Chad Ripperger, FSSP), The Elegant Universe (Brian Greene)... eh, it's all typical; I'm obsessed with Chesterton, every once in a while pick up a physics book, continue to re-dabble around in Fr. Ripperger's Thomistic Psychology book all the time as it's so interesting... I guess what else you'd find in my typical reading would be books about anthropological theory or various ethnographies and such, or else theological books...
Music you actually listen to most often:  Snow Patrol, Joe Purdy, Beethoven, Celtic Circle, Irish Drinking Songs, Country
Favorite movies/TV shows:   Star Trek (all movies, all series, especially: TOS; least favorite: TNG), some guilty anime pleasures such as Full Metal Alchemist and Avatar: The Last Airbender, House, Monk, Home Movies (on Adult Swim), movies: The Wind that Shakes the Barley, The Passion of the Christ, Finding Neverland
Favorite foods:  fish, potatoes, lamb (with mint jelly)
Serious pet peeves: Styrofoam... seriously, I hate that stuff; lol, other than that, I hate drama-mongering, I like more honest and trustful peaceful relationships...
Pets you have, pets you desire, pets you'd put up with: I have a Rabbit.  His name is Oliver.  He's not much trouble, and sometimes he's boringly anti-social, but he's cute.  I really would love to have a dog; a golden retriever or an Irish setter or any big playful dog... but alas, apartment life precludes that possibility.
Idea of a romantic evening:  coziness at home, with dinner by candlelight; looking up at the stars; deep conversation, maybe some prayer, and just pure comfort, feeling at home with her the way one feels as a child with one's family.

(09-19-2009, 01:59 AM)Aloysius Wrote: Name:  Brian Padraig O'Dougherty
Ethnic heritage:  Irish

With that name, do you get people asking if you are Irish?

My name, first and last, are very Irish, yet people feel compelled to ask. I just want to make sure it isn't just me.
haha no, usually people can pretty much tell.  of course, "Padraig" is the Irish for "Patrick", and I added the "O' " where it properly goes, I suppose my real name is more Brian Patrick Dougherty, but I've been gradually transitioning to this form of it and have been thinking for some time about legally changing it.
(09-19-2009, 02:12 AM)Aloysius Wrote: haha no, usually people can pretty much tell.  of course, "Padraig" is the Irish for "Patrick", and I added the "O' " where it properly goes, I suppose my real name is more Brian Patrick Dougherty, but I've been gradually transitioning to this form of it and have been thinking for some time about legally changing it.

Odd. I look Irish to the point where a little Irish boy in Scranton, with a stereotypical Irish dress, including cap, asked me in an Irish accent if I'm Irish. I have a big read beard and pale skin.

My name is 100% Irish, first and last (last is "O'Neill"). Yet, people do ask if I'm Irish when they hear my name. I'm worried it is just me...

Well, I hope you find a nice lass to call your bean chéile.

Hello from an Irish Lass - my last name is McAlpine so it's scots-irish via Canada many years ago. But I look more native american than Irish to be honest.

Just because I'm curious - how would you feel about a woman who already has a child?
native american huh?  next to the IRA, the Mohawk warriors are my favorite pet paramilitary cause.  do you have native american blood in you then?  what type?

a child wouldn't be a deal breaker for me... how old is he (she?)?  well, assuming it wasn't from a previous valid marriage, of course... if it was just from past mistakes I wouldn't hold it against you at all.  I definitely want to be a father; though I'd like a natural child of my own, I'd definitely be open to adopting the child of a future spouse if things were to work out in that manner...
My prayers for you in your search!  I live not too far from you in Irwin.  I used to hit the Latin Mass they had at St. Vincent's.  How often are they still doing that?

Dominus tecum
I'd link to my profile, but I messed it up and never fixed it.  ;D
jeeze, Spock kinda killed Kirk in a fight over T'Pring, you think I'd mess with his wife?
Pipe smoking must be all the rage with young trad dudes.