SSPX or Orthodox
I know this is a crazy hypothetical, but it stems from my post on another thread. From the Church's standpoint, if you were in an area that had no Catholic parish, but did have both an SSPX and Orthodox parish, which would be the more licit group to attend? Both SSPX and Orthodox have valid, but illicit, Holy Orders and their Masses/Communion would be valid, but illicit. Neither an SSPX Priest nor an Orthodox Priest (unless said Orthodox Priest were part of the Catholic Church and left) are guilty of schism personally, but neither are they are in full communion with Rome.

I would assume that in the bizarre position of being an area w/ no Catholic parish, but an SSPX and an Orthodox parish, one would be free to choose either the SSPX or the Orthodox equally since there is no valid and licit Mass in the area.
Cant be serious. Who would choose a non-Catholic Mass over a CATHOLIC one? And FYI the SSPX are Catholic. So assuming there was an SSPX Church to attend you wouldn't be "in an area that had no Catholic parish."
(10-01-2009, 01:04 PM)franklinf Wrote: Cant be serious. Who would choose a non-Catholic Mass over a CATHOLIC one? And FYI the SSPX are Catholic. So assuming there was an SSPX Church to attend you wouldn't be "in an area that had no Catholic parish."

But SSPX Masses are illicit, although valid. So, if the choice is between Orthodox and SSPX Masses in this hypothetical situation (chances are, if there is an SSPX parish and Orthodox parish, there would probably be a licit Catholic parish there too, whether OF or EF), then the choice is between two valid, but illicit, Masses.
What's so hard to get? Why would you attend a Mass whose priests preach heresy vs a truly Catholic one? It's not a hard choice to make...assuming you are Catholic.
If I were to ever ask such a question, I would go to one of those drive through car washes, but without the car. I agree with the other posters above.
(10-01-2009, 01:09 PM)franklinf Wrote: What's so hard to get? Why would you attend a Mass whose priests preach heresy vs a truly Catholic one? It's not a hard choice to make...assuming you are Catholic.

Sadly, heterodox views are sometimes preached even at a valid and licit Catholic Mass (I got to an OF/NO parish that is valid and licit, but some of the Priests may hold heterodox views), but one does not go to Mass so much to hear the Priest's homily as to receive the Sacrament. Both and SSPX and Orthodox Eucharist would be equally valid, but illicit, I believe.
(10-01-2009, 01:12 PM)nsper7 Wrote:
(10-01-2009, 01:09 PM)franklinf Wrote: What's so hard to get? Why would you attend a Mass whose priests preach heresy vs a truly Catholic one? It's not a hard choice to make...assuming you are Catholic.

Sadly, heterodox views are sometimes preached even at a valid and licit Catholic Mass (I got to an OF/NO parish that is valid and licit, but some of the Priests may hold heterodox views), but one does not go to Mass so much to hear the Priest's homily as to receive the Sacrament. Both and SSPX and Orthodox Eucharist would be equally valid, but illicit, I believe.

I don't really understand the point of your posts or this thread for that matter. I'll make the assumption that you are Catholic. Why would you attend a non-Catholic Mas instead of a Catholic Mass?
(10-01-2009, 01:15 PM)franklinf Wrote:
(10-01-2009, 01:12 PM)nsper7 Wrote:

I don't really understand the point of your posts or this thread for that matter. I'll make the assumption that you are Catholic. Why would you attend a non-Catholic Mas instead of a Catholic Mass?

I am Catholic and, obviously, I would prefer to attend a Catholic Mass. If the choice were between an OF or EF Catholic parish, an SSPX parish or an Ortodox parish, then there is no question. I would attend the OF/EF Catholic Mass, which is both valid and licit.

But in this hypothetical of SSPX or Orthodox Eucharist, both are valid, but both are illicit. Neither group is in full communion with the Holy See.
Well, the SSPX pray for the Pope in the Canon, the Orthodox do not. Would be a no brainer for a Trad, but your liberal, modernist view might be different! :)
(10-01-2009, 01:00 PM)nsper7 Wrote: I know this is a crazy hypothetical, but it stems from my post on another thread. From the Church's standpoint, if you were in an area that had no Catholic parish, but did have both an SSPX and Orthodox parish, which would be the more licit group to attend? Both SSPX and Orthodox have valid, but illicit, Holy Orders and their Masses/Communion would be valid, but illicit. Neither an SSPX Priest nor an Orthodox Priest (unless said Orthodox Priest were part of the Catholic Church and left) are guilty of schism personally, but neither are they are in full communion with Rome.

I would assume that in the bizarre position of being an area w/ no Catholic parish, but an SSPX and an Orthodox parish, one would be free to choose either the SSPX or the Orthodox equally since there is no valid and licit Mass in the area.

If you attend the SSPX mass to show your defiance for the Magisterium denouncing the Magisterium that is sinful. To attend the SSPX mas for the truly reverent mass is licit, and fulfills the Sunday obligation even is there is less reverent New Mass available.

To attend Orthodox mass traditionally was forbidden on the same way as to attend protestant services. The post vatican II stand is more lenient, and it is not considered sin (for the danger of schism) to attend either orthodox or protestant service, but afaik still not fulfills the Holy day obligation.