SSPX or Orthodox
I know...
(10-02-2009, 07:03 PM)nsper7 Wrote:
(10-02-2009, 07:01 PM)Scipio_a Wrote:
(10-02-2009, 06:57 PM)nsper7 Wrote: So, do you all think my third option is good: if say I was a Priest at this point, I would just go celebrate an NO Mass on my own.

I think a lot of folks just caught their breath in bewilderment

If I had one other person, perhaps I would celebrate the TLM then. When I was the Franciscan monastery in Washington, DC, someone mentioned that according to the rules the TLM always requires someone assisting the Priest. Can someone clarify that?

I have no sources to back this up, but I believe this is incorrect.  I know priests who say the TLM in private daily when there are no people around to assist.  For example, one particular priest who's stationed out of the country, likes to drive around the States visiting all his old parishes when he's home on vacation.  He stopped at our house and said how he still had to say his Mass that day.  We asked if he would say it at our home to say Mass and we would get the benefit.  He said no, he'd just pull off somewhere and say a quick mass at like 3 in the morning, because once he'd agreed to such a "private" Mass and 200 former parishioners had shown up on a hour's notice.  So, digression aside, I don't think it's a requirement that someone else attend.

Oddly enough, a priest once told me that all Catholics have an obligation to attend Sunday Mass, but no priest has an obligation to say one (aside, of course, from needing to fulfill the spiritual needs of their faithful).
(10-02-2009, 10:33 PM)IrishCowboy Wrote: Oddly enough, a priest once told me that all Catholics have an obligation to attend Sunday Mass, but no priest has an obligation to say one (aside, of course, from needing to fulfill the spiritual needs of their faithful).

You're right. Priests are obligated to say the Breviary, but there is no requirement for them to say Mass. Only a pastor is required to say or have said Mass on Sundays for the needs of his parishioners.
A priest is not absolutely required to have an Altar server. I've been to a Mass without an Altar server, and I would have served if I had known the priest needed one. Someone in the pews made sure to make all the responses.
(10-01-2009, 01:24 PM)franklinf Wrote:
(10-01-2009, 01:22 PM)anthony Wrote:
(10-01-2009, 01:04 PM)franklinf Wrote: Cant be serious. Who would choose a non-Catholic Mass over a CATHOLIC one? And FYI the SSPX are Catholic. So assuming there was an SSPX Church to attend you wouldn't be "in an area that had no Catholic parish."
Both are valid masses, bro. And both are illicit.

Its the same damn thing.

The same thing? So attending an Orthodox  service is the same as attending a Catholic one? Why not just convert then. Its the "same damn thing" after all. Who cares about the Pope, and the Immaculate Conception, and all that nonsense, right?
Yes, it is the same Eucharist. It is not comparable to a Lutheran service. It is essentially identical to the Roman Liturgy.

It can exist without the Pope. And the Immaculate Conception is not contested by the Orthodox. There is misunderstanding among some of them, and even among some Catholics as to what that dogma means.
(10-02-2009, 11:07 PM)CatholicThurifer Wrote: A priest is not absolutely required to have an Altar server. I've been to a Mass without an Altar server, and I would have served if I had known the priest needed one. Someone in the pews made sure to make all the responses.

How would the ablutions work? Switching hands?
(10-02-2009, 11:07 PM)CatholicThurifer Wrote: A priest is not absolutely required to have an Altar server. I've been to a Mass without an Altar server, and I would have served if I had known the priest needed one. Someone in the pews made sure to make all the responses.

Standard practise in convents with the TLM in the old days. A sister made the responses and the priest celebrated wi
thout a server.
I can't really imagine a place where there is both an SSPX chapel and an Eastern Orthodox church but no regular Catholic church.
Such a place exists in the realm of Hypothetica, where you can debate the concepts behind it.
(10-03-2009, 12:31 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: I can't really imagine a place where there is both an SSPX chapel and an Eastern Orthodox church but no regular Catholic church.

I can't imagine a place where an SSPX chapel isn't a regular Catholic Church...unless you are saying that the NO is somehow regular...LOL