Priests do disco Mass (video)
Oh dear. I wonder if celibacy isn't a good thing sometimes.  ;)
I have told this story before but back in the day when I split a very nice old guy asked me in all sincerity to come 'round and help with the "liturgy". Being a sarcastic smart mouthed punk I told this sincere guy I didn't know Latin that well. He knew I was being a smart mouth. The upshot is this these whacky ideas are fatally flawed, you can't be hip if you are a Priest or even a Sister. There is no way to co-opt the "hip culture" and retain your sincerity for souls. These two ideas are diametrically opposed. The trajectory descends directly to nuns with lumberjack shirts, and skinny priests that want to dance in danskins. The more I see the more I realise that it was the crappy American culture that invaded the Church. All of the Vatican II documents which are problematic are American in nature. The homogenisation of culture from Mickey D's to Paula Abdul is us exporting slime abroad. Canadiens were the first to resent us and they were right. We unleashed the hounds of hell, from the World Bank and the European dollar to the EU and all of the rest are American initiatives. The world has lost it's way but we were leading.
tim
(10-07-2009, 12:06 AM)Baskerville Wrote: Most teens and 20 somethings think a Priest dancing to disco is just gay.

Funny, the first thing I thought when I watched the video was that it was some sort of gay pride show.  And I'm not a 20 something.
(10-07-2009, 12:14 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: It's funny you say this, this was kind of a 'theme' when I went through RCIA in a NO parish. The hippies in charge were always baffled that someone 'young' (me) would disagree or interject on points of religious indifferentism, the real presence, etc. They really must have thought "We're going to show these kids Catholicism is cool" and we were fairly unimpressed.

I even said once that if I wanted to be in a Church where belief was engaged in private interpretation and the Church really didn't have 'authority' (a claim they said was 'outdated') then I could have just stayed a Protestant. They didn't know what to say to that.

From another convert  :amen: :amen: :amen: :w2go:  I am catholic because it is the church that Christ founded.  (I'm also really really glad that my RCIA program was orthodox.)
That was silly and disgusting and pathetic all at the same time.  Yes, they are trying to "appeal to youth."  Youth circa 1967.  Nothing is more outdated that "hipness."  When the Church tried that foolishness back in the sixties, it didn't take long for the young people to head for the doors.  If they wanted rock and roll (or disco or whatever) they can find much, much better entertainment at clubs and bars.  I still maintain that the Church may have been inundated by the "disenchanted" youth of  years ago if she had maintained the traditional liturgy with its mystery and reverence.  The kids were looking for something that a secular, materialistic society wasn't providing.  Unfortunately, the Church chose to try to compete with society on society's own terms rather than the Church's terms.  It appears that is still the case in some places.  With the same results.
All these guys are missing these days are the white collars........... ;D

Quote:I know what you mean the Liberal pantsuit Nun who taught RCIA and ran our Newman center parish (the Priest had to ask her if things were okay to do) did this crap all the time. When she was teaching RCIA during a sagment on Marian piety she mentioned the rosary and how it is a lovely prayer for grannies with a condescending chuckle. About 5 of us me included all in our early 20's at the time rose our hands and said that we pray the rosary all the time. She asked why when you can engage with full active participation in our Eucharist? Some girl spoke for all of us and said because we love the Mother of God. She stopped for a few minutes like a deer caught in headlights then she said with her nose up in the air "well there is nothing stopping you from doing it but, in general we as a Church have moved on from that medaevil Mary worship. So I corrected her by saying not really JPII is a strong promoter of the rosary and marian piety(his lone good trait) and she said" well yes but he is the Bishop of Rome Not Helena, we try to make things more "hip" here were not into that old meditating stuff you should join our praise band". To which I said "praise bands are for aging Protestant baby boomers. She shook her head and moved on to talking about how statues in Catholic Churches in the old days were over the top and its better with have copied our Protestant Sisters and Brothers in removing them from our Church".
   Yeah I quit RCIA there and went to a little more conservative parish where I got to teach our Priest how to say the rosary.

:o  :(

This is tragic.
(10-07-2009, 12:33 PM)spera Wrote:
Quote:I know what you mean the Liberal pantsuit Nun who taught RCIA and ran our Newman center parish (the Priest had to ask her if things were okay to do) did this crap all the time. When she was teaching RCIA during a sagment on Marian piety she mentioned the rosary and how it is a lovely prayer for grannies with a condescending chuckle. About 5 of us me included all in our early 20's at the time rose our hands and said that we pray the rosary all the time. She asked why when you can engage with full active participation in our Eucharist? Some girl spoke for all of us and said because we love the Mother of God. She stopped for a few minutes like a deer caught in headlights then she said with her nose up in the air "well there is nothing stopping you from doing it but, in general we as a Church have moved on from that medaevil Mary worship. So I corrected her by saying not really JPII is a strong promoter of the rosary and marian piety(his lone good trait) and she said" well yes but he is the Bishop of Rome Not Helena, we try to make things more "hip" here were not into that old meditating stuff you should join our praise band". To which I said "praise bands are for aging Protestant baby boomers. She shook her head and moved on to talking about how statues in Catholic Churches in the old days were over the top and its better with have copied our Protestant Sisters and Brothers in removing them from our Church".
   Yeah I quit RCIA there and went to a little more conservative parish where I got to teach our Priest how to say the rosary.

:o  :(

This is tragic.

Yeah, I think we actually lose people because of this kind of crap. I know my RCIA, which was nowhere near as bad as what spera described, was still quite...erm...wishy-washy. I know that if I hadn't done my own readings (like on CAF and stuff), I might never have become Catholic because I might have felt it was unnecessary. And, for the record, I was not attracted to the Catholic Church because I felt it was "hip", but because my reading of history was that the Catholic Church was the True Church founded by Christ. I think our Church would be a lot better off if we would cut the "hip" crap and stick to the basics and the Truth: we are the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church talked about in the Nicene Creed and we can trace ourselves back to the Apostolic Era (i.e. the lineage of Popes back to St. Peter himself).

And I stand by what I said earlier: the Catholic Church adopting elements of Protestantism is like healthy man ingesting cyanide.
nsper7, I don't know why, but I agree with you here! :o
The thing is, we can't attract people by being "hip."  Because the world will always be hipper, because the standard of hipness is the world.
We just end up looking stupid.
At every Mass, my priest says this:
Quote:"At every Mass we are at the foot of the Cross, as Our Lord suffers and dies as The Sacrifice.  Everyone here should be praying as if they were there in Jerusalem 2,000 years ago."

Maybe it's "just me"  :shrug:  ...but I find it hard to fathom why any Catholic would "break into dance" whilst observing The Crucifixion, let alone priests.  Unless...  ::)