Are We Listening Yet? The 13th Day: Our Lady of Fatima.
(01-06-2010, 02:35 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: And I LOVE most of what INPEFESS posts....but again...his posts used to be reallllllyyyy long and so I ended up get lost pat way through as my attentions were demanded elsewhere.

Thank you.

But yes, I admit, my posts are much too long for most. I think they even weary Rosarium. Rather, I know I do.
(01-06-2010, 05:54 PM)littlerose Wrote:
(01-06-2010, 05:30 PM)51olds Wrote: I bought the DVD, I thought that the movie was just ok. The story could have been told better. Visually its nice.
And then there is the video with Fr. Apostoli about the messages of Our Lady, of course he says that the consecration of Russia has already been done. That Pope John Paul II did the consecration, although the had to "change it a little." This from a priest that goes on the "History" channel and says that Our Lady came to Fatima to show her thankfullness to the Muslims.

???

Don't know about any of that.... as for the rest of the discussion above, about the style of FE, etc, I want to say that I appreciate being back among my fellow Catholics who are not afraid of a boisterous exchange.  My dad and his 7 brothers and all my aunts certainly did a lot of that and so it gives this place a "homey" feeling....

(01-05-2010, 01:36 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: Yeah...I seem nervous.....you did get one thing right....UD wrote that collegiality is the error and has cause enormous havoc....yep you got one right,

You will have real trouble understanding the hatred of trads for what is good.........because trads don't hate what is good....they hate what is evil...that is a justified hatred...and that is what we are concentrating our aim at removing...remove that which is evil from the body of the Church....so while you defend the evils as they stand...we fight against them....your attempt to re-frame what is happening into a little fantasy world to suit your ends....evil as they are -- a defense of that which has infected and hobbled the Church, just seems silly to us at best.

Your spiritual disease...NOism, was called by ABL....spiritual AIDS....it could also be aptly called spiritual cancer.

Go get a CT scan and see if it's still bleeding dude,,,,that's what all the headaches might be from

So news flash to the advocate of the smoke of Satan in the Church....yep...trads know...that is to say Catholics know...that collegiality is an error....man you have to find one that's more nuanced than this to get one over on anyone.

:laughing: NOism.................its the little things in life. Where do you come up with this stuff scipio?
Review of The 13th Day

By John Vennari (EDITOR CATHOLIC FAMILY NEWS)

In the spring of this year, I saw the riveting trailer for The 13th Day, and looked forward to its release with great anticipation.  I recently viewed the movie itself. The film is good, though there are some aspects I found disappointing.
            The 13th Day has many fine moments. The actress who portrays Lucia’s mother is superb, and even a bit terrifying. The movie contains the best portrayal of the Miracle of the Sun I’ve seen. It is filmed in black and white, except when Our Lady brings everything to color, which is a nice touch. The overall visual theme of the film is original and appealing. Most of the acting is well executed, and the film is artistically done.
          But it is certain aspects of this attempted artistry that either slow down the film or present a distraction. Artistry in film works best when you don’t notice it, but some of the abrupt film editing, multiple close-ups and strange camera-angles made me feel as if I were watching a foreign film from the ‘60s.
            I remember hearing a commentary by the renowned actor Peter O’Toole who complained of a common problem in modern film-making: the camera-man, through his camera work, wants to do the acting; or the film-editor, through his film-editing, wants to do the acting.  O’Toole said, “we’re the actors, let us do the acting”. O’Toole’s admonition came to mind while I was watching some of the odd camera-work in The 13th Day.
            The film opens with the words “Based on a True Story”, which signals there will be a certain amount of artistic license in chronicling the Fatima events. It is the nature of movie-making to employ this license in the production of any film on a historical subject, but I believe the film should have stuck more scrupulously to the actual facts in certain areas, especially since these facts are so readily available.
            In the first scene, we see Sister Lucia at her convent in Pontevedra in 1937, writing her memoirs in obedience to her Superiors. Sister Lucia is the voice narrating the story, though the narration is not exactly Sister Lucia’s words, but a modern re-write by the filmmakers. Thus it does not always sound like the Sister Lucia we know.
            An exact rendition of Our Lady’s words are not always given, sometimes close, sometimes not. For example, The 13th Day has Our Lady saying, “People must turn to God, for He is already too much offended”, rather than the exact words: “People must stop offending God, for He is already too much offended.” Also, in the film, Lucia is not told until October 13 that Our Lady “will take Jacinta and Francisco soon”, whereas that Message was given on June 13.
            Though the bulk of the film is historically accurate, there are a number of minor inaccuracies, such as those already noted. I can’t help but wonder why the filmmakers did not always reproduce Our Lady’s words as She spoke them, and at the time She spoke them.
            Perhaps this is why the Fatima Shrine in Portugal, in its official endorsement of the movie, called it a “fictional film" based on the events at Fatima.
            Granted even more artistic license was employed in the 1950s Warner Brothers film Our Lady of Fatima. But I had hoped The 13th Day, though a movie, not a documentary, would be a dead-on accurate rendition of the Fatima story brought to screen.
            The viewer might also wish that the actress playing the child Lucia spoke a bit more slowly and with better diction. Some of her dialogue whizzes by so quickly, you might find it hard to catch.
            One of the refreshing aspects of this 2009 film – at least in the preview I saw – is that it makes no comment on the controversy surrounding Pope John Paul’s Consecration of the world in 1984, and of the Vatican’s commentary on the release of the vision of the Third Secret in 2000.  The film contains other strong points, such as depicting the desolation of Lucia’s father when he learns his fields have been trampled into disuse by the throngs who come to Fatima for Our Lady’s visitations.
            The film previewed in various locations around the country on October 13. The official DVD release date is December 1, 2009.
            I am certain many people will be edified by The 13th Day, as the story of Fatima itself cannot but move the soul. The film has a certain rustic beauty, and is bound to get more people interested in the Fatima Message. The filmmakers deserve much credit for their devotion to Fatima, and for the tremendous amount of time, funds and energy they undoubtedly poured into this work.
            Based on the trailer I saw five months ago, I was geared up to write a five-star review. But the trailer had an energy and pacing that the film does not quite deliver. I am sorry to say I found The 13th Day to be good, but disappointing in some areas. With a little better screenplay and story construction, it could have been one of the great movie events of the decade.

(01-06-2010, 06:40 PM)tradmaverick Wrote: Review of The 13th Day

One of the refreshing aspects of this 2009 film – at least in the preview I saw – is that it makes no comment on the controversy surrounding Pope John Paul’s Consecration of the world in 1984, and of the Vatican’s commentary on the release of the vision of the Third Secret in 2000. 

Am I misunderstanding this somehow?  I haven't seen this movie, but I'm confused as to why he found this "refreshing."   Is he not one of the most vocal critics claiming the consecration of Russia was never completed, and the entire Third Secret never released?   http://www.cfnews.org/Socci-FourthSecret.htm

If the movie suggests that the consecration was completed in 1984, and that the Third Secret was about JPII's failed assassination, why would this be "refreshing" to him?
(01-07-2010, 03:08 AM)unknown Wrote:
(01-06-2010, 06:40 PM)tradmaverick Wrote: Review of The 13th Day

One of the refreshing aspects of this 2009 film – at least in the preview I saw – is that it makes no comment on the controversy surrounding Pope John Paul’s Consecration of the world in 1984, and of the Vatican’s commentary on the release of the vision of the Third Secret in 2000. 

Am I misunderstanding this somehow?  I haven't seen this movie, but I'm confused as to why he found this "refreshing."   Is he not one of the most vocal critics claiming the consecration of Russia was never completed, and the entire Third Secret never released?   http://www.cfnews.org/Socci-FourthSecret.htm

If the movie suggests that the consecration was completed in 1984, and that the Third Secret was about JPII's failed assassination, why would this be "refreshing" to him?

He's most likely referring to the fact that the movie does NOT suggest that the consecration has been done, either of Russia or of the world. You will also not find anything in the movie that supports the version of the third secret that the Vatican released in 2000, saying that it had to do with the attempt on Pope JPII's life.
The special features on the DVD does talk about this, but the feature film itself does not.