Catholic Bishop Asks Pro-Gay Bishop Not to Enter His Diocese
(10-16-2009, 08:11 PM)libby Wrote:
(10-16-2009, 08:08 PM)Walty Wrote: Hurray for the UP and for the Church's seeming turn back to orthodoxy.

oh, ya- the UP -

let's put on our sneeks and after drinking fram the bubblers go pahrtee on my pahrtee bahrge.

( i really do love the UP... :)  oh, and FUDGE.)

Yup, bubblers, yoopers, and the UP.  Don't forget that northern Wisconsin (and sometimes the UP) are called "Up North."
Just out of curiosity I pulled up Bishop Thomas Gumbleton on Wiki and yikes!  :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Gumbleton

This quote was an eye opener:

"During his time as bishop, Gumbleton also caused further upset, as he wore a mitre at a church service on which were symbols of the cross, a rainbow and a pink triangle." (I  thought that only Anglican/Episcopal priests, priestesses, bishops and bishopesses wore those things)

Obviously this guy is totally outside the teachings of the Catholic Church.  Why is he still a bishop?  Is the hierarchy just tolerating him like "the crazy old auntie in the attic" until nature takes it's course?   ???
I just can't believe that I live in an age when a so-called Catholic "bishop" can be publicly for such things as homosexuality, contraception and women's ordination.  How can this be!?  In ages past, this man would have been quickly and vehemently rebuked by Rome - and then if he continued in his error, he would have been excommunicated.

These kinds of things literally make me sick to my stomach.  I am thankful that there are at least a few bishops left in the U.S., although probably not entirely orthodox in all things, that at least stand against the most obvious of errors (held by someone who is supposed to be a Prince of the Church!)
(10-16-2009, 08:33 PM)Walty Wrote:
(10-16-2009, 08:11 PM)libby Wrote: [quote='Walty' pid='458806' dateline='1255738098']
Hurray for the UP and for the Church's seeming turn back to orthodoxy.

oh, ya- the UP -

let's put on our sneeks and after drinking fram the bubblers go pahrtee on my pahrtee bahrge.

( i really do love the UP... :)  oh, and FUDGE.)

Yup, bubblers, yoopers, and the UP.  Don't forget that northern Wisconsin (and sometimes the UP) are called "Up North."
[/quote]

it's all up North to me...

you betcha.
(10-17-2009, 05:29 AM)mike6240 Wrote: Why is he still a bishop?  Is the hierarchy just tolerating him like "the crazy old auntie in the attic" until nature takes it's course?   ???

Most likely because he "has things" on the skeletons of other members of the Hierachy. Thats why its called the pink mafia.
At least the Vatican had the good sense not to let Gumby stay on as an active diocean Bishop (or assitant Bishop if I recall correctly) once he hit 75.  I suppose with things as they are at the moment ,we should be thankful for small mercies.

-Steve
I sent a thank you message to the bishop through the email you provided and I got a response.

Dear ** *****,

Your email has been shared with Bishop Sample.  Below is a response.

Praised be Jesus Christ, now and forever!

Thank you for your letter in support of my recent actions regarding Bishop Gumbleton.
Although my actions elicited a negative response from some people, I did what I had to do as part of my responsibilities as a bishop.

I am grateful for your encouraging words, and I ask that you please pray for all those concerned.  I particularly ask for prayers for unity of faith in the Church and for a healing of the wounds of division that are still among us.

May God bless you and those you love.

+Alexander K. Sample
Bishop of Marquette