Ghosts!
(10-15-2009, 09:36 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: I believe in them. My priest sys they are souls who were so consumed by the world, but werent evil, so their purgatory is to inhabit the world they loved so much.
I had a ghsot follow me. It started right after we were married, and living with my in laws. I would hear a deep voice speaking in the basement, and i was the only one home. We moved, nothing in that place. Then we moved again, and this place was nuts. It started as just little things. Kitchen cupboards would close by themselves, and the toilet in the downstairs would flush. Often we would hear a noise, like a 500 lb person was jumping on the roof. There was no attic on the building, we would go outside and check, and of course there was no one on the roof. Things would get pushed off of surfaces. One time my sisters and some friends were over, and the stereo and camera was pushed off of the tv. Another time, my baby at the time was about 1 month old, and she was all swaddled and sleeping in her bouncy chair. The chair would rock, then stop, then rock again. Once, when that same daughter was a bit older, she was playing against the wall, and a pointed wood carving that was hanging over her head fell, but instead of falling straight down on her head (where it should have), it shot sideways, into the bathroom door, so hard it put a dent in it. It had been hanging there for a couple years! There was a few things like that....

Oh, my!! CC, I'd be a nervous wreck. I hope things are quieter in your life these days.  :o
(10-15-2009, 09:57 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: We have that book "An Exorcist Tells His Story" at our church supply store. I've always been afraid to read it LOL But if he has a chapter on ghosts or souls in purgatory I'll go ahead and give it a try.

Read it.

Your fear is justified in a way. However, after reading it, it can help you trust God more (the demons are so limited by God, we should rejoice always) and it will make fictional things less scary.
(10-15-2009, 10:00 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(10-15-2009, 09:36 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: I believe in them. My priest sys they are souls who were so consumed by the world, but werent evil, so their purgatory is to inhabit the world they loved so much.
I had a ghsot follow me. It started right after we were married, and living with my in laws. I would hear a deep voice speaking in the basement, and i was the only one home. We moved, nothing in that place. Then we moved again, and this place was nuts. It started as just little things. Kitchen cupboards would close by themselves, and the toilet in the downstairs would flush. Often we would hear a noise, like a 500 lb person was jumping on the roof. There was no attic on the building, we would go outside and check, and of course there was no one on the roof. Things would get pushed off of surfaces. One time my sisters and some friends were over, and the stereo and camera was pushed off of the tv. Another time, my baby at the time was about 1 month old, and she was all swaddled and sleeping in her bouncy chair. The chair would rock, then stop, then rock again. Once, when that same daughter was a bit older, she was playing against the wall, and a pointed wood carving that was hanging over her head fell, but instead of falling straight down on her head (where it should have), it shot sideways, into the bathroom door, so hard it put a dent in it. It had been hanging there for a couple years! There was a few things like that....

Oh, my!! CC, I'd be a nervous wreck. I hope things are quieter in your life these days.  :o
You know! i am normally a totally nervous dispositioned type person. But it never really bothered me! I would always say out loud, when stuff happened "I know your here and im praying for you" things always stopped. Basically it was a potential saint in my house, nothing too scary about that. I know it meant well. My priest said it sounded like a woman, who probably lost a child from her own negligence. It was normally always centred around my second, who was a baby at the time.
There are many accounts I have read of Padre Pio having people appear to him that were dead and ask for his prayers because they were in purgatory sounds like ghosts to me.
When I was about 16 we went to Bannack City Montana which is a Ghost town its a well preserved but not a huge tourist trap. Anyway we got there kinda late in the evening so it was already starting to look a little creepy what with the old buildings and long shadows. Anyway we went into the Mead Hotel the city's grand hotel from back in the day. Anyway we took our dog at the time with us and she started barking and refused to go up into the second story so we had to take turns holding her leash while two of us went into the hotel. It was really strange. The first floor was fine but the second story is just really creepy you get a weird feeling up there, anyway my mom and I seperated she was looking in the back of the hotel and I was at the front where there are these big picture windows looking over the town in a small parlour like room. I was standing up looking out over the city when I got a really cold feeling it felt like the temp dropped like 15 degrees or so. I just zipped up my coat and attributed it to the September weather. Then I got this feeling like there was someone there with me I was looking out over the city and the feeling was so strong I thought my mom was there. I said something like "hey mom isnt it the view nice up here" and she put her hand on my shoulder I turned around to look at her and I was alone. It is indescribable how creepy that felt. The other thing was I  had left the door to the parlour open and when I turned around to see who was there the door was closed. Finaly my mom did come into the room and I asked if she had been there and she said no and asked me why I said "I was just wondering" I didnt want to tell her because I wanted to see if anything happend to her. It was so creepy I left the Hotel and went outside with my Dad and Brother I took Dog patrol and they went in and my Mom came out. Just as my Dad and brother entered the building my dog started barking and she was looking up at the big picture windows of the second story parlour that I had been in. My mom looked a little shaken and I asked what the matter was and she told me that she just got a weird feeling in the parlour.  When my Dad and Brother came out they both said that the upstairs especialy the parlour was really weird.
   After this we continued exploring the town at the end of main street there was this two story building that I went in I got this strange feeling of sadness the place just felt sad and creepy. The feelings were so intense I got about 10 feet into the building and left. The same feelings happened to everyone in my family and my dog was barking uncontrolably.
  The next day when we got home I went to the Public library and checked out a book on the History of the Ghost town and one called Montana Ghosts. As it turns out in the late 1890's a teenage girl and her family were staying at the hotel and this girl went to play by the dredge pool(its a type of mining where you block up a river or creek and this machine dredges the bottom and sorts the gold or whatever out) anyway she was playing there with this other girl that was staying at the hotel well the girl drowned. After her family left the other girl that had been playing with her was still living in the hotel(back in those days people would rent rooms by the month) She saw the girl one night sitting in the parlour crying. Of course the girl was scared and screamed and then the other girl who was wearing a blue dress then and when she drowned dissapeared. Ever since then people have felt cold spots been touched by or actualy seen the spectre of the "Bannack Girl in Blue" in the Meade Hotel. The same one that I sincerely believed put her hand on my shoulder.
  Now as to the other house. In the 1880's Bannack was struck by a Dyptheria epidemic and the house where i had felt the creepy sad feeling was the house where the Children that got the epidemic were quarentined over 14 died in that house. We didnt witness this but in my book it said that people get these sad feelings and sometimes hear children crying coming from that house. the creepiest part is I didnt know much about Bannack besides the fact that it was Montana's first Capitol and I knew nothing about the Ghost legends until the next day when I went to the library.

Heres a link to Bannack the pic in the corner is of that creepy hotel and you can see the second story palour windows. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bannack

(10-15-2009, 09:26 PM)Rosarium Wrote: I recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Exorcist-Tells-His...0898707102

There one thing "ghosts" are not is the souls of the dead. The dead do not remain in this world, and there is no "wandering". If things are moved or weird things happen it is either a human living or a demon of any sort.

I was once told the exact opposite by a Priest. I was told that spirits condemned to purgatory may be forced to wander this life and ask for prayers for their souls and this was a Trad Priest too!
(10-15-2009, 09:41 PM)CrusaderKing Wrote: Back in October, 1983, I had my dog, a Labrador Retriever named Rex, with me in the living room, and I turned on a movie called, "Amityville II: The Possession". Whenever I had that movie on, Rex would stare at the back door, growl, and his hair would stand on end. I changed the channel to Magnum, P.I. and he would stop. When I put that movie on again, he would again stare at the back door, growl, and his hair would stand on end. I figured that movie was somehow drawing a demon, so then I switched channels again.

Crusader King, that story made the hair on MY arms stand on end!! I definitely believe animals, especially dogs and cats, are highly intuitive and sensitive to this sort of phenonomen. In fact, I have two stories of my own involving dogs that are quite hair-raising.

Back in 1972  we moved to Brownsville Texas, into an old brick house that had four apartments, two on the first floor and two on the second floor. We had an Irish Setter named "Brandy" who made the trip in the car all the way from Ohio with us. As soon as we pulled up in the driveway of the new place, Brandy started growling, very uncharacteristic of her. She absolutely would not enter the house, so we ended up tying her to a tree in the front yard. For three days she stared up at the window of the second story apartment that was directly across the hall from ours. She barked and howled and growled.. It was maddening! Then one morning we went outside and Brandy was gone. She had chewed through the rope and escaped. We drove around looking everywhere for her, but to no avail. That night, we heard terrifying screams coming from the VACANT apartment across the hall. We called the police. They found nothing, but informed us that they had received such calls from frightened tenants before. After the police left, we heard the screams again. Like a shot we gathered what belongings we could, jumped in the car, drove to a hotel and stayed there until we found another apartment. We never went back for the rest of our things and we never found Brandy.  :(

Second story is involved and complex and I can't get into it all - it concerns a 16 year old girl who once lived next door to us about twelve years and three houses ago. One night in June she hung herself from a tree in our backyard.. Her boyfriend had broken up with her. Sigh.. It's so very complicated. Anyway.... We had two dogs at the time, Bo and Ollie. Now you've got to know that Bo and Ollie were chronic "barkers." They barked at everything: if a squirrel scampered up a tree, they barked. If a leaf fluttered in the air, they barked. If somebody sneezed, they barked. Well, you get the picture. The events leading up to the girl's suicide are full of pandemonium and almost a blur to me now. That night she was hysterical and had been running up and down the driveway screaming despairingly. I had already called the police (we would discover shortly that we were too late). Then suddenly everything went quiet.

Nervously, I went outside on my back porch and looked into the darkness. I saw nothing. Heard nothing. Then it occured to me.. Bo and Ollie! Where were they? Surely these dogs that went into barking hysterics at the mere sound of a twig snapping would have been barking their heads off at the frantic girl. I walked to the end of the porch and I saw them... hunkered down under the porch swing, cowering, trembling, whimpering. They were scared to death. And in a few minutes, I would find out why. I'll spare you the awful details. But in the days following the suicide, after my mind had cleared, I realized why those dogs reacted that way. They could smell death before it even happened. They could smell evil. They could sense what was coming while the rest of us failed to see it. Mind-blowing.
(10-15-2009, 11:03 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(10-15-2009, 09:41 PM)CrusaderKing Wrote: Back in October, 1983, I had my dog, a Labrador Retriever named Rex, with me in the living room, and I turned on a movie called, "Amityville II: The Possession". Whenever I had that movie on, Rex would stare at the back door, growl, and his hair would stand on end. I changed the channel to Magnum, P.I. and he would stop. When I put that movie on again, he would again stare at the back door, growl, and his hair would stand on end. I figured that movie was somehow drawing a demon, so then I switched channels again.

Crusader King, that story made the hair on MY arms stand on end!! I definitely believe animals, especially dogs and cats, are highly intuitive and sensitive to this sort of phenonomen. In fact, I have two stories of my own involving dogs that are quite hair-raising.

Back in 1972  we moved to Brownsville Texas, into an old brick house that had four apartments, two on the first floor and two on the second floor. We had an Irish Setter named "Brandy" who made the trip in the car all the way from Ohio with us. As soon as we pulled up in the driveway of the new place, Brandy started growling, very uncharacteristic of her. She absolutely would not enter the house, so we ended up tying her to a tree in the front yard. For three days she stared up at the window of the second story apartment that was directly across the hall from ours. She barked and howled and growled.. It was maddening! Then one morning we went outside and Brandy was gone. She had chewed through the rope and escaped. We drove around looking everywhere for her, but to no avail. That night, we heard terrifying screams coming from the VACANT apartment across the hall. We called the police. They found nothing, but informed us that they had received such calls from frightened tenants before. After the police left, we heard the screams again. Like a shot we gathered what belongings we could, jumped in the car, drove to a hotel and stayed there until we found another apartment. We never went back for the rest of our things and we never found Brandy.  :(

Second story is involved and complex and I can't get into it all - it concerns a 16 year old girl who once lived next door to us about twelve years and three houses ago. One night in June she hung herself from a tree in our backyard.. Her boyfriend had broken up with her. Sigh.. It's so very complicated. Anyway.... We had two dogs at the time, Bo and Ollie. Now you've got to know that Bo and Ollie were chronic "barkers." They barked at everything: if a squirrel scampered up a tree, they barked. If a leaf fluttered in the air, they barked. If somebody sneezed, they barked. Well, you get the picture. The events leading up to the girl's suicide are full of pandemonium and almost a blur to me now. That night she was hysterical and had been running up and down the driveway screaming despairingly. I had already called the police (we would discover shortly that we were too late). Then suddenly everything went quiet.

Nervously, I went outside on my back porch and looked into the darkness. I saw nothing. Heard nothing. Then it occured to me.. Bo and Ollie! Where were they? Surely these dogs that went into barking hysterics at the mere sound of a twig snapping would have been barking their heads off at the frantic girl. I walked to the end of the porch and I saw them... hunkered down under the porch swing, cowering, trembling, whimpering. They were scared to death. And in a few minutes, I would find out why. I'll spare you the awful details. But in the days following the suicide, after my mind had cleared, I realized why those dogs reacted that way. They could smell death before it even happened. They could smell evil. They could sense what was coming while the rest of us failed to see it. Mind-blowing.

Yes there is something about Dogs that is really strange they have like ESP or something. Our old dog the same one that was scared to go into the haunted hotel would know about an hour before my grandparents would come over to visit us. She would crawl up on the back of the couch and stare out the window until they showed up and she only did thsi when they came over.
(10-15-2009, 10:07 PM)Baskerville Wrote: There are many accounts I have read of Padre Pio having people appear to him that were dead and ask for his prayers because they were in purgatory sounds like ghosts to me.

Yes, and I too believe it's possible that someone's "purgatory" could be to wander the earth. I have a book called "The End of the Present World" written in the 19th century by a Catholic priest, that has a whole chapter on the souls in purgatory. In it he cites mystics who claim that some souls are sentenced to revisit the places of their ruin and disgrace - the very circumstances that put them in purgatory to begin with.

- Lisa
(10-15-2009, 11:22 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(10-15-2009, 10:07 PM)Baskerville Wrote: There are many accounts I have read of Padre Pio having people appear to him that were dead and ask for his prayers because they were in purgatory sounds like ghosts to me.

Yes, and I too believe it's possible that someone's "purgatory" could be to wander the earth. I have a book called "The End of the Present World" written in the 19th century by a Catholic priest, that has a whole chapter on the souls in purgatory. In it he cites mystics who claim that some souls are sentenced to revisit the places of their ruin and disgrace - the very circumstances that put them in purgatory to begin with.

- Lisa

Yep thats exactly what I have heard.