Christopher West Thanks and Responds to his critics
(10-24-2009, 11:19 PM)Walty Wrote: The reciprocal love bit is actually about how to truly love you must give your whole self.  JPII talks much about how that comes with the greatest of risks because you may or may not be accepted by that other person.  It is truly unconditional love, the kind that Christ taught and gave.  In no way is it espoused that relationships run on getting something back.  That's not what he means by reciprocal.

And, again, I don't know what you find ambiguous.  If you can provide some example then perhaps we could look into it further.  I found the text clear so I'm not going to provide my own example and guess at what others found ambiguous.

It's ambiguous because he's conflating definitions.  If he means altruistic love, he should say so.  If the love is not accepted by the other person it can't be reciprocal.  Reciprocal means a mutual exchange. 

The love in a marriage is conditional because it is part of the marriage bond.  That's not a bad thing.  Relations are a part of the marital debt.  If you really want to use marriage as a figure of the Cross, then you have to realize that the spouses freely bind each other to the marital debt and relations are required by justice unless the spouses mutually decide to remain continent.  So a man may not deny his wife and a wife may not deny her husband without a truly grave reason.  The Cross is a warning of the severity of the marital committment. It's a costly and painful sacrifice more than a "gift." 

Another of my concerns about TOB is the comparative "pie in the sky" attitude put forth by JPII which is in my opinion very naive.  His analogies to the Cross do not go far enough,  should each man go through his "Agony in the Garden" on the eve of his marriage sweat blook asking God to "Let this cup pass me by?" 

Marriage and relations in marriage are connected with the Sacrament of Marriage.  The Eucharist is the Eucharist.  They are two distinct sacraments, related, yes. but Eucharistic sex is a dangerous path to tread down considering human concupiscence and the possibility of perversion, and psychological associations distracting a person during Mass.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Christopher West Thanks and Responds to his critics - by Gerard - 10-25-2009, 09:45 AM
UO - by Historian - 10-29-2009, 01:49 AM
Re: UO - by Gerard - 10-29-2009, 10:51 AM