Favorite Cheese and luncheon meats, etc
(10-24-2009, 09:27 PM)kimbaichan Wrote: I've got the sharp cheddar hook-up. I send a buddy in Wisconsin some of my grandma's dill pickles and he sends back cheese, mostly cheddar, but sometimes a brick of parmesan, as well. It goes in everything; I may be the only person in rural Arkansas who makes parmesan cornbread.

Parmesan in the cornbread, or sprinkled on top?  If it's in the cornbread, and you make buttermilk biscuits with Parmesan and garlic, I'm going to start believing in coincidences.

Or that Arkansas is a lot cooler than I originally thought.
(10-24-2009, 09:15 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(10-24-2009, 09:13 PM)AntoniusMaximus Wrote: I could go for a good reuben, I haven't had a good one for a many years.  It is hard to find a good deli where I live nowadays.

Oh yeah! I'm on a life quest to find the best pub reuben in the world! :laughing:

yep, most reubens I get are at the pubs, something about it says that it goes with beer.  I don't maybe sauerkraut and beer have some kind of link  :)

that being said too many pubs I think make their a little too greasy (i know, I know) or add too much dressing because I don't think they have the proper ratio of cheese to meat, and when that happens my fingers aren't just messy, but gastonomic issues throughout the rest of the night.
(10-24-2009, 09:33 PM)Cro-Doc Wrote:
(10-24-2009, 09:27 PM)kimbaichan Wrote: I've got the sharp cheddar hook-up. I send a buddy in Wisconsin some of my grandma's dill pickles and he sends back cheese, mostly cheddar, but sometimes a brick of parmesan, as well. It goes in everything; I may be the only person in rural Arkansas who makes parmesan cornbread.

Parmesan in the cornbread, or sprinkled on top?  If it's in the cornbread, and you make buttermilk biscuits with Parmesan and garlic, I'm going to start believing in coincidences.

Or that Arkansas is a lot cooler than I originally thought.

In the cornbread but if I grate a little on top, as well, it looks prettier.
No coincidence, the biscuits are plain. I only make them for breakfast and I'm not sure how the fam would take to parmesan-garlic biscuits with their bacon and gravy. ;)
What's wrong with a little garlic and Parmesan, along with the... wait-- did you say bacon?  Not sausage?  Hmm. 
cornbread and parmesan, never quite put the two together, as a pointed ear friend once said, fascinating
(10-24-2009, 09:58 PM)AntoniusMaximus Wrote: cornbread and parmesan, never quite put the two together, as a pointed ear friend once said, fascinating

Me neither, but you 'Murricans come up with some of the weirdest combinations.  I always liked my cornbread with a little bit of honey.
(10-24-2009, 10:03 PM)Cro-Doc Wrote:
(10-24-2009, 09:58 PM)AntoniusMaximus Wrote: cornbread and parmesan, never quite put the two together, as a pointed ear friend once said, fascinating

Me neither, but you 'Murricans come up with some of the weirdest combinations.  I always liked my cornbread with a little bit of honey.

I don't know, I have heard the brits come up with some weird combos like deep-fried Mars bars and well the scots have haggis.  and well people in New Guinea drink the cremated remains of their dead, but that not exactly for culinary reasons.  Of course, recently I did hear about and see deep fried butter at the county fair, what compels a person to do such a thing, I don't know. 
(10-24-2009, 09:08 PM)Cro-Doc Wrote: A buddy of mine keeps raving about "Jamón Ibérico" but he doesn't eat it with any bread.  Instead, he says he prefers a glass of wine. 
He's a bit of a nut, though.

Me, I'll eat whatever you put in front of me--Cave-manish, if you will.  A Reuben sounds really good, about now, as a previous poster mentioned, but I'm dying for some of my buddie's brats.

To answer the question, though, I prefer some spicy roast beef on wheat, with a little Dusseldorf style mustard.

[i]He's talking about Jamon Serrano, and Pata Negra is the best one of those-

- made out of hogs that run around under the cork trees and eat acorns all day.

That stuff is fantastic - slice it thin enough to see through, and eat with with aged Manchego cheese or some olives & eat with bread (just not in a sandwich) and gallons of beer or tinto.

For cheapie stuff I like that ham that comes riddled with cheese - I'm not kidding - for some reason I like that stuff, plus you don't have to slice a thing, and it's BOGO.

I won't even let my kids eat that stuff.
AntoniusMaximus Wrote:well the scots have haggis. 

Don't be dissin' on haggis! I have it every Robbie Burns' Night and I love it! :)
Hi Libby!  Yes, Pata Negra is what he calls it, and it does have a taste of "bellotas."  I thought that the Ibérico was a little different from the serrano, which is supposed to be the regular country ham.  It certainly is way more expensive.

Tinto... now you're starting to sound like him.