Favorite Cheese and luncheon meats, etc
(10-30-2009, 10:34 AM)Texican Wrote:
(10-27-2009, 10:01 AM)kimbaichan Wrote: Yeah, yeah. Italians stole corn pone from the Native Americans and convinced the world it was their idea. Just like their rip off of the tomato. I'll bet you think the potato is Irish, too. :pazzo:

Next, you'll be talking about BBQ, and saying that pork shoulder is better than beef brisket...

There's just no accounting for taste where you're concerned, is there?  Pork is it, son.  Ribs, to be exact.
(10-30-2009, 11:48 AM)Cro-Doc Wrote: There's just no accounting for taste where you're concerned, is there?  Pork is it, son.  Ribs, to be exact.

And you're an authority on taste, I suppose?

Isn't there something else that you should be doing, instead of playing on your phone?
Pot, this is Kettle; You're black, over.
I LOVE liverwurst on rye with red onions and spicy brown mustard!  :eats:
I'll enjoy more 'normal' eats such as ham, roast beef and turkey also, I like just about anything!
In the day I had many little out of the way saloons that served working men kind of special but common food. I tried to find those which were the best, and Jakes was just this kind of place. I'd stop for lunch and have pickle soup or borscht with a polish sausage sandwich. They served the polish on black rye made fresh every day baked by a little german neighborhood bakery, with a 1/2 lb smoked polish and 1/2 lb regular polish sausage, the soup came in a bowl came with a plate under it, and not a cup, with two beers it was 3.50 plus tip. One of a dozen of my favorites. Has anyone of you ever had an Italian Beef with Italian Sausage and giardiiere on french?? MM MM Good :laughing:
tim
(10-30-2009, 01:28 PM)timoose Wrote: In the day I had many little out of the way saloons that served working men kind of special but common food. I tried to find those which were the best, and Jakes was just this kind of place. I'd stop for lunch and have pickle soup or borscht with a polish sausage sandwich. They served the polish on black rye made fresh every day baked by a little german neighborhood bakery, with a 1/2 lb smoked polish and 1/2 lb regular polish sausage, the soup came in a bowl came with a plate under it, and not a cup, with two beers it was 3.50 plus tip. One of a dozen of my favorites. Has anyone of you ever had an Italian Beef with Italian Sausage and giardiiere on french?? MM MM Good :laughing:
tim

wow, I wish I could find good delis and places like that.  When I lived in my hometown there was a little deli, pricey, but quite good.  I often went to lunch there, my favorite was roast beef, swiss, turkey, lettuce, tomato on a long roll with a little bit of oil and vinegar, boy i miss that place.  There is a lunch place here in this town, that I tell myself I will go one day, where they have this pound of brisket gutbuster for only like 4-5 dollars, that everyone praises, the trouble is that there hours are quite erratic, usually the best places have some quirks to them.  Also, in my hometown, there was a little old polish lady who used to make polish sausage that was mmm mmm mmm, she was selling them essentially from a vendor behind main streets. 
(10-30-2009, 10:53 AM)epalinurus Wrote:
(10-27-2009, 10:01 AM)kimbaichan Wrote: Yeah, yeah. Italians stole corn pone from the Native Americans and convinced the world it was their idea. Just like their rip off of the tomato. I'll bet you think the potato is Irish, too. :pazzo:

Yeah, yeah, yeah -- and the Chinese invented spaghetti, too.  Just remember, whether you are talking pasta, pizza, tomatoes, polenta, or romanza, for that matter, regardless of who "invented" it, it took the Italians to bring it to perfection.

Totally fish-worthy.  Mangia!
I'm a big fan of pastrami and swiss on rye. I love cheddar. I also really love corned beef.  :eats:
Corned Beef and Pepper Jack :eats:
The sad part about Jakes is it existed in the late 70's and early 80's, and it is gone.The 80's killed those types of places with the advent of nationalized chains like TGIF or whatever. Actually in the 70's they were gasping for air, but back in the 60's and 50's or all of the decades before that they flourished. They were family businesses, and they made their specialities. Life was grand!!! Jimmy Caan of Godfather fame owned a Jewish deli in my neighborhood and he would work the register if he was in town. Belden Deli on Clark Street and Belden
tim