New Information About Anglicans Coming In
FaithfulCatholic Wrote:I would never assist at a Mass with a married priest because I would view them as a Protestant minister dressed up as a Roman Catholic priest (sorry, guess I'm just not inclusive).

Hypothetical question: if your usual TLM priest was sick and he called in a bi-ritual, married Eastern-rite priest who also celebrated the TLM to substitute for him.... would you attend?
(10-25-2009, 04:01 PM)FaithfulCatholic Wrote: I would never assist at a Mass with a married priest because I would view them as a Protestant minister dressed up as a Roman Catholic priest (sorry, guess I'm just not inclusive).

That would be your problem, and not the priest's.
I think that we ought not to underestimate the attractivity of the ideal of celibacy, nor the shame of sorts that could accrue to such men as switch to an Anglican ordinariate simply to enjoy "the best of both worlds".
There is little enjoyment in marriege.
Sip
But u drink more.
(10-25-2009, 03:52 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Married priesthood works better if you have a lot of them, plus deacons, for each parish; such as if you had enough so that each priest wouldn't have to say Mass more than once on Sunday, and twice during the week.

HK, I am surprised at you. Are you saying that the priesthood should be reduced to a job and so easy on the time that the Holy Sacrifice would only 'have' to be offered twice a week and once on Sunday?
No! and again, No!  A priest SHOULD want to offer the greatest prayer, the greatest act that occurs on earth each day-namely the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass-every day of his life and priesthood.

I desire Holy Mass every day of my life. I expect  nothing less from a priest.  If there are several priests in a parish, then there should be several Mass times offered a day for the faithful.
What do you think?
(10-25-2009, 05:37 PM)Magdalene Wrote:
(10-25-2009, 03:52 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Married priesthood works better if you have a lot of them, plus deacons, for each parish; such as if you had enough so that each priest wouldn't have to say Mass more than once on Sunday, and twice during the week.

HK, I am surprised at you. Are you saying that the priesthood should be reduced to a job and so easy on the time that the Holy Sacrifice would only 'have' to be offered twice a week and once on Sunday?
No! and again, No!  A priest SHOULD want to offer the greatest prayer, the greatest act that occurs on earth each day-namely the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass-every day of his life and priesthood.

I desire Holy Mass every day of my life. I expect  nothing less from a priest.  If there are several priests in a parish, then there should be several Mass times offered a day for the faithful.
What do you think?

It's interesting that while most priests probably do celebrate Holy Mass every day, the Church has never required it. The 'prayer requirement' for the ordained is recitation of the Divine Office, not celebration of Mass.
Harlequin KIng,

I would find another TLM to attend from a priestly society that I knew was actually traditional and celibate. And if in the future, due to a proliferation of protestant/Catholic married priests diluting the Roman Catholic Faith and traditions there were no celibate priests left, we will all be in real trouble. Thank God, there are a lot of traditional Roman Catholic celibate priests left and they continue to be ordained.

What will you do should your married pastor become divorced? And then twice divorced?
(10-25-2009, 06:09 PM)FaithfulCatholic Wrote: Harlequin KIng,

I would find another TLM to attend from a priestly society that I knew was actually traditional and celibate. And if in the future, due to a proliferation of protestant/Catholic married priests diluting the Roman Catholic Faith and traditions there were no celibate priests left, we will all be in real trouble. Thank God, there are a lot of traditional Roman Catholic celibate priests left and they continue to be ordained.

What will you do should your married pastor become divorced? And then twice divorced?

There are traditional Catholics who are married.

As far as I know, this would not effect anyone but those directly connected to them. Ordaining married men is found in the Eastern rites (however, it is quite rare). The priest could not be "divorced" and even if his wife died, I don't think they'd be able to be married again. Married men can become priests; priests don't become married men.
(10-25-2009, 06:15 PM)Rosarium Wrote: There are traditional Catholics who are married.

As far as I know, this would not effect anyone but those directly connected to them. Ordaining married men is found in the Eastern rites (however, it is quite rare). The priest could not be "divorced" and even if his wife died, I don't think they'd be able to be married again. Married men can become priests; priests don't become married men.

Good answer, but ordaining married men is far from rare in the Eastern Rites except in the US and Canada. It's still the standard practise in the old countries that Parish Priests tend to be married and celibates tend to be monks. :)
(10-25-2009, 06:18 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(10-25-2009, 06:15 PM)Rosarium Wrote: There are traditional Catholics who are married.

Good answer, but ordaining married men is far from rare in the Eastern Rites except in the US and Canada. It's still the standard practise in the old countries that Parish Priests tend to be married and celibates tend to be monks. :)

Yes, I know, but I didn't want to complicate things (I deleted some clarifications).

For this issue, I meant it in the way that that the clergy who are around communities which are not used to married priests (Latin rite Catholics), generally do not have them, even if it is possible.

As for the Anglicans, the Catholic Church has over 1 billion followers. There are 77 million Anglicans in the world. If one tenth of Catholics are orthodox in their beliefs, then the number of Catholics in the right is 100 million.

The danger of "dilution" from the Anglicans is non existent unless a tiny of Catholics are at all in the Church (in which case there are bigger problems) and every single Anglican converts. Even then, the type of Anglican which would convert, would be more orthodox. The Anglicans have already split; they have no need to try to "change" the Church. They would come to the Church for the Church, not themselves.