Bishop criticizes ‘slavishly literal’ English translation of missal
(10-25-2009, 11:16 AM)kimbaichan Wrote: I/we?? Who cares? What real difference does it make?

It would, but in this case, I think he is just latching onto the previous English translation, instead of the meaning of the mass. He really doesn't have any real points except he doesn't like proper translations.

(10-25-2009, 11:10 AM)Rosarium Wrote:
(10-25-2009, 11:08 AM)CatholicThurifer Wrote: slavish?

To be like a Slavic person.

Oh I know what it means. I just find it funny.
(10-25-2009, 11:20 AM)CatholicThurifer Wrote:
(10-25-2009, 11:10 AM)Rosarium Wrote:
(10-25-2009, 11:08 AM)CatholicThurifer Wrote: slavish?

To be like a Slavic person.

Oh I know what it means. I just find it funny.

I know :) I was trying to be funny as well.
(10-25-2009, 11:19 AM)Rosarium Wrote:
(10-25-2009, 11:16 AM)kimbaichan Wrote: I/we?? Who cares? What real difference does it make?

It would, but in this case, I think he is just latching onto the previous English translation, instead of the meaning of the mass. He really doesn't have any real points except he doesn't like proper translations.

Excellent point.  The translation of the Mass into English seems to me to have been used by the liberals to introduce obfuscatory language, deliberately to Protestant-ize, or at least de-sacralize, the liturgy.  "Going back" to the Latin is just too Catholic for them.

"Pro multis" being the prime example.
Well Folks, If Bishop Trautman knows and understands that the faithful in the pews do not understand words like consubstantial he is indicting himself. He is the Teacher by his office. So if I were him I'd get my butt in gear and resolve that. This issue always makes me dizzy, when they changed the Mass into the vernacular, there was already beautiful and very good translations in all the the Daily Missals.
Why couldn't they have used them???  At that time they were re-Gregorian-izing the mass by teaching us kids to sing simple chants. Why didn't they translate the words in the music and teach us??? Continuing the process might have resulted in adding some new,sacred music after we had learned, fyrther down the line and it would have been organic change!!! Ughhhh!!! Kar'n Sar'n dem rabbits!!! yosemite sam
tim
Frankly, I'm insulted.  How dare he tell us that we're all too flipping ignorant to understand big words?  How elitist and self-righteous do you have to be to take that as your official stance?  The new translation is bad because you're all too stupid to understand it.  You know what, Bishop Trautman?  Go to hell.  Literally.

I honestly think the time has come to tell the English speaking bishops of the world that all of the NO privileges are going to be taken away.  No, you can't say mass in English any more.  Turn around and face God.  No, you can't give communion in the hand.  Only consecrated ministers may dispense communion.  Only men may serve on the altar.  Get on with it.  And anyone who breaks the rubrics will be held accountable for it.  We have been far too lenient about this.  They had their chance and they messed it all up and carried on like badly behaved children.  I'm sure that our Holy Father is not yet ready to suppress the NO, but he can tell them that they have to follow the rules and that all their exceptions and indults are lost because they are too brazen and badly behaved.
(10-25-2009, 10:19 AM)winoblue1 Wrote: Someone really needs to educate this Bishop.

There's no educating Bishop Traut. 
Bishop Trautperson (let's be inclusive, people) has this annoying attitude that I see in so many of the elitists, who claim that the lowly working man cannot grasp these concepts.  It's terrible to think that the laity is too stupid to grasp and wrestle with large words and meditate on them, but then they're also asked to fully and actively participate with a poor translation with no mystery!  It makes no sense, it's like wrapping your kid in foam and telling him to go win a bike race.
Yup. Reminds me of a story:

Smirky modernist parishioner is arguing with the children's-choir director about the traditionalist content of the hymns for the upcoming feast.

"Everyone should pray in the language they actually speak. Why, these kids don't even understand what they're singing. You, there--" he singles out one child --- "I'll bet you don't know what Kyrie eleison means."

"Bet I do."

"OK, what does it mean?"

"It means Miserere Domine."
(10-25-2009, 10:26 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Fortunately, like everyone else, he'll die. And soon.

You have a way with words, my friend!