Bishop criticizes ‘slavishly literal’ English translation of missal
Quote:Bishop Trautman quoted the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, which said rites and texts “should radiate a noble simplicity. They should be short, clear, free from useless repetition. They should be within the people’s powers of comprehension, and normally should not require much explanation.”

Anyone else drink up the irony in this statement?  He's saying that the translation that's close to the Latin is against the directives set out in Sacrosanctum Concilium.  Yet, Paul VI published the revised Missal with the intention of following the Conciliar decrees.  Its like he's saying its the Latin text that is the problem.  One can only wonder what he wants if the Latin text isn't good enough.
(10-26-2009, 12:40 AM)MeaMaximaCulpa Wrote:
Quote:Bishop Trautman quoted the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, which said rites and texts “should radiate a noble simplicity. They should be short, clear, free from useless repetition. They should be within the people’s powers of comprehension, and normally should not require much explanation.”

Anyone else drink up the irony in this statement?  He's saying that the translation that's close to the Latin is against the directives set out in Sacrosanctum Concilium.  Yet, Paul VI published the revised Missal with the intention of following the Conciliar decrees.  Its like he's saying its the Latin text that is the problem.  One can only wonder what he wants if the Latin text isn't good enough.

What he wants is to make the liturgy as banal and unsacred as possible. He's scum.
Here is the problem- bishop of  his kind should get a refresher course on  whats Catholic and if they do not get it  turn in your miter.  Catholics should have list of bishop who are catholic or truly modernist holding on to Vac II to the bitter end.
We can only hope.  Fr. Malachi Martin referred to the bishop of my diocese as "Mother Hubbard" in Windswept House.  Fortunately, he's not important enough for the national media to pay him much attention.  Unfortunately, his understanding of the Mass and the Catholic faith is even worse than Bishop Trautman's.  We had fliers that read "Pray for the Ordination of Women" on posts in the parking lot of our cathedral.

I'd support all of the bishops being remediated in theology, church history, liturgy, and Latin, and whatever else the Holy See feels they have forgotten.  Of course our Holy Father's position of only promoting orthodox men to the bishopric will, if continued long term, eventually even everything out.  After all, no one lives forever, and they're all required to offer their resignations at 75, if they live long enough.  That means that in one generation all of this could be changed just by consistently only promoting the right people.
Bishop Trautman is nobody his opinion carries no weight with the Roman curia and almost as much with the rest of the USCCB. Soon he will retire and many more of his kind will be put to pasture as well.

So all in all, who cares what his eminence thinks.

Oops I hope that wasn't too literal for his grace.  ;D
(10-27-2009, 01:39 AM)Unum Sint Wrote: Bishop Trautman is nobody his opinion carries no weight with the Roman curia and almost as much with the rest of the USCCB.

Thats true the USCCB voted almost unanimously to adopt the new missal. If your such a modernist cook that your to liberal than the USCCB you really need to be working at McDonalds or something not being a Bishop.
This is the same Bishop Trautperson who thinks sexual abuse is a joke, according to this article:

http://www.bishop-accountability.org/new...Sexual.htm

After sanctimoniously saying in other venues how he feels for victims:

http://search.bishop-accountability.org/search?q=Bishop+Trautman&ie=&site=ba-prod&output=xml_no_dtd&client=ba-prod&lr=&proxystylesheet=ba-prod&oe=&sa.x=35&sa.y=8
(10-25-2009, 03:22 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(10-25-2009, 02:49 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: You have a way with words, my friend!

This guy really gets on my nerves. Saint John Chrysostom, when he said the road to hell is paved with the skulls of bishops, must have had a premonition of Trautman. He represents pretty much everything that's wrong with the current establishment, and the quicker he and everyone like him bites the dust, the healthier the Church will be.

He turns 75 on June 24, 2011, just a few months after Mahony also turns 75. Coincidence? Nah!  ;D

Trautman studied theology under Karl Rahner. Need I say more?
“The vast majority of God’s people in the assembly are not familiar with words of the new missal like ‘ineffable,’ ‘consubstantial,’ ‘incarnate,’ ‘inviolate,’ ‘oblation,’ ‘ignominy,’ ‘precursor,’ ‘suffused’ and ‘unvanquished.’ The vocabulary is not readily understandable by the average Catholic,” Bishop Trautman said.

well then, bishop, priests will need to work those words into their sermons for the benefit of 'the average Catholic,' though i agree with others that we're not as dumb as he thinks.  people don't need vocab lessons, just context to figure out unfamiliar words for themselves.

for example, a priest might preach about satan and say that today satan is unvanquished, unconquered, unbeaten, but there will come a day when he will be vanquished, conquered, beaten.  one word down, eight to go.

priests can also talk directly about changes in the missal, such as what consubstantial means and why it's in the new missal, why we're changing from 'we believe' to 'I believe,' etc.  i really doubt many in the pews will feel less sense of community when saying 'i' instead of 'we' while surrounded by a community of other people in the pews.  church bulletins could also have a weekly feature explaining one or two of the changes in the missal.

it's called religious education, bp. trautperson, perhaps you've heard of it.