Calling All Recipes for Cookbook
(11-16-2010, 10:17 PM)Joamy Wrote:
(11-12-2010, 10:55 PM)Satori Wrote: Here's my favorite cheap Friday recipe, which exists somewhere else on this site already. Yes, it is my own creation.

Tuna Cakes

Drain one can of tuna (in water, not oil -- oil is gross). Toss with about a tablespoon of pressed garlic or as much as you like, a tablespoon of prepared horseradish or as much as you like, about two chopped green onions, half a chopped sweet apple, one torn-up piece of bread (preferably whole-grain), one beaten egg, a tablespoon of olive oil, a hearty dash of lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Form into patties; if they are too juicy, add another piece of bread. Fry in more olive oil till they are crisp and dark brown on both sides. Serve hot or cold; can also be eaten on a bun like a hamburger.

I'm going to have to try that one.  Do you think it would work for salmon?

It started off as a recipe for salmon cakes. I think canned tuna is more flavorful and has a better texture than canned salmon, but they will both work. Libby has attested on this very site to the excellence of my recipe! And it's dirt cheap!
Years ago my father would get tomatoes from Campbell's soups. He'd get  bushels of them delivered on a truck. My ma, grandma, my aunt, and my father would prepare them in the basement and jar them for use during the year.

First you blanche the tomatoes and remove the skins.

Depending how many and how big the pot, make some sofrito; celery, onions, chopped in equal amounts, and a little carrot, and a couple cloves of garlic whole, saute them. This is so you can remove the garlic.

Add the tomatoes either by passing through a sieve up cut up in a medium dice, bring to a boil and skim the top of the scum, it tends to make the tomato sauce bitter, cook for about an hour and jar 'em up. If you are only make a little batch put 'em in storage tubs of appropriate size and refrigerate or freeze.

If I'm making sausage I'd brown it off, and not necessarily cook it through, reserve to a plate. Chop some onions, celery, garlic and saute add the tomato sauce bring to a boil, add the sausage, cook the sausage and sauce on low until almost done, then add honey, and red pepper flakes to taste, cook until the flavors come together. Serve on pasta, with grated cheese, or make sandwiches on french bread. This is Arabbiata, or how the Arabians make it, at least how an Italian says they make it. You can also slice up fresh basil and add it before serving.

If you cook it without the honey and red pepper flakes, and add oregano, it would work for pizza. If you added browned  ground meat, and basil it would be a sort of Bolognese. You could brown off chunks of cheap pork instead of the sausage and add them to the Bolognese, and then you'd be making it like the Genovese. We'd serve it over tagliatelle verde, with some grated Parmigiano Reggiano, with a salad with oil and vinegar,  a loaf of french bread and butter.
tim

Honey? I'd never have thought.

You're always suggesting French bread. Do Italians not eat their own bread??
In the day way back with the dinosaurs lived on Wolf point,  we had two commercial bakeries here, Gonnella and Tuscano. They made French and Vienna breads, so we got used to them. Real Italian bread was made at home, or in tiny bakeries in neighborhoods. Those loaves were round and very dark and they were called rusticano.

The French make the best bread. It's crust should shatter like glass, and the inside should be as light as a feather, and it should be stale after 8 hours.When the guy that owned Tuscano  decided to retire all of the French and Italian restaurants pleaded with him to sell the bakery to them and train someone to make the bread. He closed the doors and didn't sell it to them.

Chicago has a sandwich kind of like Phiilly has a sandwich, ours is Italian Beef, theirs is Philly Steak. Our has always been on french bread, it makes it easier to eat, so it has become ingrained.

tim

ps. If you want our recipe for Sunday Sauce for Pasta, I'll post.
Well, of course I want your recipe for Sunday sauce! I want the history of the recipe, too, i.e., was it passed down in your family? Did you learn from your grandmother?

I agree, the French make the best bread. To me that Italian bread sold in grocery store bakeries is like bad French bread with a tender crust, unthinkable. I guess real Italian bread is nothing like that, huh?
Sunday sauce is called tucu in Genovese. It is my great grand mother's recipe. She came to live with us in 1957, she was diabetic and her leg amputated. She lived a few more years and I enjoyed it very much, especially when I put the brake on her wheelchair and she couldn't go anywhere. In those days we made our own tomatoes as I told you but we bought paste and puree at the store.
Today if it is for a big deal I try to get Marzano tomatoes, or I like Red Gold.

2-28oz. cans of diced tomatoes.

1-28 oz. can of tomato puree

1-28 oz. can of tomato sauce

I-large can of tomato paste

6-10 ribs of celery diced fine

2 big onions like Vidalia diced fine

A handful of Italian flat parsley chopped a little

1 or 2 carrots diced fine

6 pices of garlic peeled

1-1/2 lbs ground chuck

5 lbs. of pork like the part of spareribs at the top with the cartilage, or country ribs with the bones, or neck bones or any combination. Brown these off in the oven while you start the sauce.

In a very large heavy stock pot, saute the vegetables. Then add the ground Chuck, and brown it and season with salt and pepper. Add the parsley, keep sauteing, when meat is cooked add the can of paste and cook it for ten minutes. Last add the garlic and cook for another five minutes. Now add the other cans of tomatoes, the puree and the sauce. Place the browned pork meat and bones in the sauce, add a couple of cans of water, bring to a boil and simmer for about two hours and reduced to the proper thickness. Skim the top for grease and for the tomato scum, and stir to make sure it doesn't stick.Adjust the salt and pepper asyou go, and when it is done add chopped fresh basil and stir it in. Use any pasta you'd like with it, and the pork bones are real good too !

tim

You eat the bones?
On Sunday, no, they'd go in the icebox for a lunch during the week If it were during the week then yes. If it were in the restaurant the kitchens guys would eat them. They are really tasty, and fall off the bone. Sunday was usually a prime Sirloin Butt about 12 lbs. roasted rare. Lots of stuff on Sundays and relatives.
tim
(11-18-2010, 05:44 PM)timoose Wrote: On Sunday, no, they'd go in the icebox for a lunch during the week If it were during the week then yes. If it were in the restaurant the kitchens guys would eat them. They are really tasty, and fall off the bone. Sunday was usually a prime Sirloin Butt about 12 lbs. roasted rare. Lots of stuff on Sundays and relatives.
tim

So you're not talking about literally eating bones?
No eat the meat off the bones.Oops, I'm sorry. You could also remove the meat from the bones and return it to the sauce.
tim